What's new

I would love some Synthetic brush recommendations, something that splays easier and has softer tips than a Tuxedo knot

M

member 141132

I've used a 26mm Rainbow synthetic Pony Yaqi and the Familia Sagrada 24mm from the same. For me they're on the opposite ends of the spectrum, the Tuxedo having scritchier tips and far more backbone and barely splays while the Rainbow has extremely soft pillow like tips but almost no backbone.

I would like something inbetween these two, soft tips with some backbone.

I am in Europe so preferably i'd like to buy within EU to avoid import taxes

lasta

Blade Biter
I'd recommend you look into badger.

Every synthetic I've tried don't like splaying. Buckle and spring is apparently inherent in the design, even the floppy ones don't splay naturally. Newer synthetics are even stiffer than they used to be.

Every synthetic I've tried don't like splaying. Buckle and spring is apparently inherent in the design, even the floppy ones don't splay naturally. Newer synthetics are even stiffer than they used to be.
I agree they don't splay naturally as natural hair knots, but I can splay all of my synths. It needs a bit different technique, but once it is splayed, I can keep it splayed easily. No brush ever buckled for me, the only knot that I felt springy was the Synbad knot, ymmv as always.

I’ll provide two different recommendations on each end of the price spectrum.

Low cost option: Yaqi Purple Mink (or other Yaqi Mink knot). Softer than Yaqi Tuxedo with more backbone than the Rainbow Pony due to shorter loft. (I’ve had multiple Yaqi Tuxedo brushes and still own one and I had the Rainbow Pony but it departed my stable).

Expensive option: Wald A1 Synthetic. After you get over the price shock, read about it here on B&B. It is different than any other synthetic brush. It splays very easily and is the softest brush. It is so densely packed that it has some backbone, even though the individual fibers are so soft. It is so different and awesome that I bought a second one. I have both the Fan and Bulb and performance is the same.

Picture of the three brushes. (Wald A1 fan is wet because I just finished shaving.)
49A97710-BF22-4BBA-B71C-655550768774.jpeg

In general I find synthetics only splay well when the knot is full of lather. It’s easier if you load the soap off the puck or in a bowl and then face lather with the loaded brush.

I definitely agree with @GNR that the Wald A1 synthetic splays very easily. I think it splays just as easily as a badger. The tips are MUCH softer than any other synthetic - softer than you’d think is possible - but many synthetics are very soft and you may not feel like you need something even softer. But it is an expensive brush with a very beautifully made handle.

I did some comparisons of some of the other premium synthetics that get recommended a lot and are around $100 or less. My favourites were the Mühle STF and the Blackland Signature brush (Blackland was my marginal preference because the handle is outstanding). They’re pretty similar in performance, very soft tips, they splay quite well when loaded with lather, and they feel fun and pleasant to use. The G5C knot wasn’t far behind, for me - it doesn’t splay quite as easily as the first two, it has more backbone if you want that (I prefer less) and it feels more badger-like. All three of those are excellent and I would recommend them. The other synthetic I compared was the Omega Evo 2.0 and I didn’t like it - it felt unpleasantly springy and was a constant fight to keep it splayed. That one wasn’t for me.

This is where I posted my comparison review. Just my own opinions, of course. Actually might be worth you reading through this whole thread.
Trying to understand premium synthetic knots - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/trying-to-understand-premium-synthetic-knots.627674/post-11961720

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Mühle does a nice synthetic.

A Muehle STF knot in a brush would be the best option.

Muhle STF or any Plissoft knot.

I'm currently using a Razorock Plissoft Keyhole 22mm, which is a fantastic little face latherer. Splays easily with very soft tips.

The SFT would be my recommendation.

Agreed!

Muhle STF.
I would recommend the XL size.
It's dense, plush and splay feels very natural.

If opting for a custom handle, request a loft of 56-57mm.
If getting from Muhle, the default loft will be about 57mm.

Muhle STF as others have said if you want synth. . I’ve not tried a wald. You can get stock handle, semi custom(AP shave) or full custom. I have the AP shave co with the xl 25mm and like it. Just used it today.

M

member 141132

Thank you guys for all the recommendations! I'll look into the Muhle STF and the Plissoft right now but the Wald A1, Motherlode and APShaveCo sound great too, heard lots of good things on threads here. I was also in contact with PAA and from speaking to one of the people over there i'll also be picking up one of their brushes, this'll turn into a brush acqusiation disorder real quick but oh well 😂

PAA's got some fine brushes, but as a vendor it isn't really popular here (this is an understatement 😃). The late model 24-26mm knots are great. brushes: peregrino, starcraft, amber aerolite, etc.

Top Bottom