What's new

I would love some Synthetic brush recommendations, something that splays easier and has softer tips than a Tuxedo knot

M

member 141132

PAA's got some fine brushes, but as a vendor it isn't really popular here (this is an understatement šŸ˜ƒ). The late model 24-26mm knots are great. brushes: peregrino, starcraft, amber aerolite, etc.
I read some threads about PAA, you're right. Some people say they've improved a lot but since i'm orderinh from a european retailer I am willing to risk it. From what I understood is that the brushes and products are fine, just sketchy business practises. Thank you for bringing it to light! And yeah I am looking at the Doppler, very nice looking brush
Ā 
M

member 141132

PAA's got some fine brushes, but as a vendor it isn't really popular here (this is an understatement šŸ˜ƒ). The late model 24-26mm knots are great. brushes: peregrino, starcraft, amber aerolite, etc.
I read some threads about PAA, you're right. Some people say they've improved a lot but since i'm orderinh from a european retailer I am willing to risk it. From what I understood is that the brushes and products are fine, just sketchy business practises. Thank you for bringing it to light! And yeah I am looking at the Doppler, very nice looking brush
Scratch this, i've read up some more and i've decided not to support PAA. There are plenty of honest soap/brush makers out there that i'd rather support
Ā 

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I had two PAA brushes. Key word: hadā€¦past tense.

I am a bit of a hypocrite, however. I do use the Cube and Tube 2.0 pre-shave products. They are excellent.
Ā 
M

member 141132

I had two PAA brushes. Key word: hadā€¦past tense.

I am a bit of a hypocrite, however. I do use the Cube and Tube 2.0 pre-shave products. They are excellent.
Any reason you gave up on them? Except the bad business stuff which is fair enough
Ā 

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Any reason you gave up on them? Except the bad business stuff which is fair enough
The Atomic Rocket had a nice face feel but I never got used to the large handle. I gave it to a nice woman from Canada who used to be around a lot but I havenā€™t seen her for a while now.

The Peregrino is very popular here, but I found it pokey. The could just the way I use brushes. I bowl lather but donā€™t just paint the lather on. I scrub it in like many face latherers. I gave it away and that person just loves it. That is why we see some many posts include ā€œYMMVā€.
Ā 
M

member 141132

A Muehle STF knot in a brush would be the best option.
Is this the one you're talking about? Just making sure i'm picking the right one
Ā 

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230513_150502_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230513_150502_Chrome.jpg
    201.1 KB Ā· Views: 8

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Is this the one you're talking about? Just making sure i'm picking the right one
You might not know, but Rudy Vey turns custom handles and offers many services, including installing knots in his handles. The STF knots are among those he stocks routinely.

He made me a burl wood handle with the XL 25mm STF knot. My wife permanently borrowed it and she had 5 very good synthetic brushes from which to choose.
Ā 
M

member 141132

You might not know, but Rudy Vey turns custom handles and offers many services, including installing knots in his handles. The STF knots are among those he stocks routinely.

He made me a burl wood handle with the XL 25mm STF knot. My wife permanently borrowed it and she had 5 very good synthetic brushes from which to choose.
Is he based in EU or US? I've heard about him before but with how awful import taxes (25%) here are i'd prefer to avoid importing from outside EU
Ā 

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Is he based in EU or US? I've heard about him before but with how awful import taxes (25%) here are i'd prefer to avoid importing from outside EU
My bad. You mentioned that earlier and I had forgotten. In my defense, Iā€™m old and itā€™s 9:30 PM here in Bali. ;)
Ā 
M

member 141132

My bad. You mentioned that earlier and I had forgotten. In my defense, Iā€™m old and itā€™s 9:30 PM here in Bali. ;)
All good, I appreciate the recommendation though. Knowing this hobby I will probably end up importing at some point anyways trying to more and more stuff
Ā 

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Rudy just turned me a handle the other day and is sending it so a custom knot can be installed. When we get back home, Iā€™m sending him three brushes for reknotting. I love the handles but hate the knots.

Itā€™s unfortunate youā€™d have to pay an extra 25% to take advantage of his services. He has skills.
Ā 
M

member 141132

Rudy just turned me a handle the other day and is sending it so a custom knot can be installed. When we get back home, Iā€™m sending him three brushes for reknotting. I love the handles but hate the knots.

Itā€™s unfortunate youā€™d have to pay an extra 25% to take advantage of his services. He has skills.
No kidding. Being a hobbyist in Europe isn't easy when so many artisan brands are stateside. I would love to try a lot more artisan soaps but i can't justify importing atm, truly sucks
Ā 
M

member 141132

A good and inexpensive option would be one of the Razorock Plissoft brushes. I have the Bruce 24mm and it's very soft without being a limp noodle. I could also suggest the Yaqi Purple Haze with 24mm Mew Brown knot. Muhle STF is nice, but a little more expensive.
Heard lots of good stuff about the Plissoft, Nick Shaves seems to love the 22mm which is something i'd like to try one day. This is the first time I am hearing about the Purple Haze knot, is it different from the rest that Yaqi offers? And I found a Muhle Silvertip Synth 21mm/Medium for 50 usd or 500 sek in my currency which is a fair deal imo
Ā 
...This is the first time I am hearing about the Purple Haze knot, is it different from the rest that Yaqi offers?...
It's this one:

1683989429223.png

I think it's one of the better Yaqi brushes. Nice versatile shape, good size and the soft knot still has some backbone without being springy. I think it was under $15, so quite a good deal, also. I use it most days for pre-shave soap, though it works well for regular shaving creams and soft soaps.
Ā 
Sorry for the off topic, but could you refer to the shady business practices of PAA? Maybe a link or something? Iā€™ve tried one of their soaps (seems great), so Iā€™d like to know whether I should keep supporting them. Thanks
Ā 
I'm also wait for an opportunity to get a brush from him. shipping + customs adds about 50% to the price :(
Ā 
M

member 141132

Top Bottom