What's new

Old Man Smell

Yes it is.

@luvmysuper , I should have mentioned that I am a few months younger than that old fart @Alum Ladd ...... I've lived a much more wicked life, but somehow it hasn't caught up to me like it has him!
Just practice the act of return or Teshuva, and all will be well.

I was in the crap deep enough that I could comfortably relate to "So far in blood that sin will pluck on sin" (Richard III - Act 4, Scene 2)

But it's fine. That was then and now is now.

I do hope you are feeling better FT my dear friend!

Si

Last edited:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Well, Old Man Smell is a thing... Old person smell - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_person_smell

That said I have an affinity for overdone old fragrances such as Avon, Skin Bracer, Old Spice, but have not time for Axe and many of the "Ocean" "Sea" "Water" stuff going on today.

I have never had c-vid that I know and have not lost my sense of smell, but in the last year it has intensified and many scents that I liked or at least were not negative to me now are not liked in the least.

Tabac = NO
Castle Forbes 1445 which I formerly professed my love for = NO.

These days I like many of the European mildly scented soaps or unscented.

The Veg - don't event think about it.
Stirling anything - surely you jest. Stirling = AXE to me.

The strongest thing I like these days is Caswell Massey No. 6. Other than that I like subdued things.

I'm in the early 50's and my wife only notices if something is strong. She has no sense of "old man smell". Now my 4 20 year old girlfriends, that is another story. LOL, in fact it's a lie.

On another note "old man smell" as a phrase reminds me of "old man candies" which are sometimes butterscotch whatevers. I feel like there was a movie the phrase was coined in and much of humanity got on the bus at that point.

Last edited:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
For me that would have to be Tabac
Grandma's purse 100%
@luvmysuper , thanks for the laffs and tears! Made me miss my Dad, who usually smelled of Brut and Pall Malls, and later in life Stetson and Pall Malls.... Or Prince Albert, lol.
Mine was Skin Bracer Spice and sometimes old spice. I remember one Christmas his sister got him some English Leather. Eventually it was tossed, never used.

Prince Albert. I wish I owned all the cans my grandfather threw away over the years. It would be like a second income on ebay.

Given the fact that 4711, created by the design house of Muelhens, has been around for 231 years, that would be the smell of a very very very old man to me.

I use Old Spice, just like my father did, but not the old formulation as he used.
He used it in his 50's. I use it in my 60's.
So I'm not certain as to how one can say it's an old man smell. It's just a scent that that's been around a long time. And for good reason!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Given the fact that 4711, created by the design house of Muelhens, has been around for 231 years, that would be the smell of a very very very old man to me.

I use Old Spice, just like my father did, but not the old formulation as he used.
He used it in his 50's. I use it in my 60's.
So I'm not certain as to how one can say it's an old man smell. It's just a scent that that's been around a long time. And for good reason!
I would agree. Good is good, regardless of time. Tastes change a bit and what is popular today might not be popular tomorrow, but what's good isn't suddenly crap. Really good, is generally timeless because it's SO good.

Since I am an old man, I guess I must smell like one. I grew up in a time when the common scents for men were Old Spice (the original Shulton formulation), English Leather by MEM (not the current Dana stuff), British Sterling by Speidel (not the Dana stuff), and Brut Original by Faberge. Of course, barbers always applied Pinaud Clubman talc after a hair cut.

The really are only two scents that I consider to be old man scents, so old that I won't wear them.

One is Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene. Grey Flannel was not available until 1975, which is more recent than the other fragrances I noted. According to Fragratica, it has the following: Top notes are Galbanum, Petitgrain, Neroli, Bergamot and Lemon; middle notes are Violet, Iris, Geranium, Mimosa, Narcissus, Sage and Rose; base notes are Oakmoss, Vetiver, Cedar, Tonka Bean and Almond. I generally like complex cologne fragrances, but this is not a fragrance that I like. I do not hate it, but I would not wear it.

The other old man scent is Pinaud Lilac Vegetal (aka THE VEG). Lilac Vegetal is predominantly the scent of lilacs and Victorian era musk. If you do purchase the scent and it comes in a plastic bottle, immediately decant the juice into a glass bottle. The improvement in fragrance is remarkable and immediate. In the plastic bottle, many people detect the scent of cat urine. That scent goes away as soon as you ditch the plastic bottle. I do not quite know why this happens, but it does. I enjoy smelling the scent from time to time, but I do not wear it.

I love scented shaving soaps, but seldom apply any scented aftershaves or colognes.
I'm mid-40s, but I discovered Grey Flannel late in life (mid to late 30s); I absolutely love how it smells.

In high school, I wore Calvin Klein Eternity. In college, I wore Calvin Klein Escape. After graduation, I wore Hugo Boss Hugo. While I really enjoyed the original formulation for those scents (the new ones aren't quite up to snuff, or sniff, as the case may be). Based on my past fragrances, I tend to like fresh scents with a bit of spice.

That said, the first time I smelled Grey Flannel, I was wowed. It's unlike any of the scents I wore before. It's a bit more floral mixed with some heavier notes. While I wouldn't recommend bathing in it, I do think a dab at the pulse points is just about right.

For me old man smell isn't really an aftershave or cologne fragrance. Instead, it's actual old person smell. I guess I just never ran in any circles with old people who wore aftershaves or colognes.

Last edited:
If old spice is an old man smell…I’m 41 going on 81 as I literally just used Barrister & Mann’e reserve spice a/s and the Old Spice deoderant that is supposedly the old round stick formula.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
My Mrs (40s) thinks Old Spice and Brut smell like old man, her uncle wore Old Spice all the time. I don't smell that at all, I like Old Spice, my dad used Brut and Blue Stratos and whilst Brut does remind me of him current Blue Stratos is different enough that I don't get the association. The scent I most associate with my dad is Palmolive Classic shaving cream and Embassy cigarette smoke. If there is a smell I associate with old man it is the smell of Gitane cigarettes, I had a history teacher who smelt of them (he acquired the taste for them when stationed in France after the war). You could actually tell when he was coming because you could smell the cigarettes first.

Lilac Vegetal is definitely not an old man scent. It is an old woman scent.

The Lilac Vegetal scent was the very first scent developed by Edouard Pinaud. He was primarily known as the perfumer to the couth of Napoleon III. The scent was developed to be used by the men of the Hungarian Cavlary and was known as Lillas de France. It was a toilet water to be applied liberally to the entire body as Caribbean pirates might have applied bay rum while on the high seas. The Lilac Vegetal name was introduced in 1880 when the scent became available to the public.

The Hungarian Calvary were called Hussars. The cavalry and reconnaissance regiments were highly recruited by many European countries. Hussar is the Hungarian term for twenty which suggests that a regiment consisted of around 20 men and their horses. The most famed and feared cavalry in history were the Winged Hussars who derived their name from wooden frames on their backs to which they attached a variety of feathers making them look like angel wings. They were so fearsome and successful in battle that they earned the nickname "angels of death". In their time, they were the equivalent of Navy Seals, Army Rangers or Royal Marines Commandos of today.

Thus, we might think of Lillac Vegetal as a old woman scent today, but that certainly contradicts the history of the fragrance. I doubt the Hussars would have taken kindly to being described as "smelling like an old woman". Such a comment might have gotten you intimately acquainted with the tips of their lances.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

Oh, I quite agree with the point that older guys, in a general sense, do smell different from younger people.
That was the basis for my joke about old man smell being farts and Depends diapers.
But I think we can all agree that "old man smell" is not "top notes of Nutmeg, Star Anise, Aldehydes, Orange and Lemon; middle notes of Cinnamon, Carnation, Pimento, Geranium, Heliotrope and Jasmine; and base notes of Benzoin, Vanilla, Musk, Tonka Bean, Cedar and Ambergris."
When someone says "That aftershave makes you smell like Old Man" what they really mean is "You're wearing a scent that reminds me of someone in my past who wore such a scent, and which I now associate with a gentlemen of advancing age."

Eau De Quinine. To me its as old timey as it gets. I also like Old Spice and any of the other Pinaud scents. Except Lilac Vegetal. Wet baby diaper isnt a scent l strive for.

Last edited:
The Lilac Vegetal scent was the very first scent developed by Edouard Pinaud. He was primarily known as the perfumer to the couth of Napoleon III. The scent was developed to be used by the men of the Hungarian Cavlary and was known as Lillas de France. It was a toilet water to be applied liberally to the entire body as Caribbean pirates might have applied bay rum while on the high seas. The Lilac Vegetal name was introduced in 1880 when the scent became available to the public.

The Hungarian Calvary were called Hussars. The cavalry and reconnaissance regiments were highly recruited by many European countries. Hussar is the Hungarian term for twenty which suggests that a regiment consisted of around 20 men and their horses. The most famed and feared cavalry in history were the Winged Hussars who derived their name from wooden frames on their backs to which they attached a variety of feathers making them look like angel wings. They were so fearsome and successful in battle that they earned the nickname "angels of death". In their time, they were the equivalent of Navy Seals, Army Rangers or Royal Marines Commandos of today.

Thus, we might think of Lillac Vegetal as a old woman scent today, but that certainly contradicts the history of the fragrance. I doubt the Hussars would have taken kindly to being described as "smelling like an old woman". Such a comment might have gotten you intimately acquainted with the tips of their lances.
Fantastic information. I guess the primary purpose of this scent would have been to mask the smell of horse excreta, rather than to make the wearer smell good. What do you think?

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Oh, I quite agree with the point that older guys, in a general sense, do smell different from younger people.
That was the basis for my joke about old man smell being farts and Depends diapers.
But I think we can all agree that "old man smell" is not "top notes of Nutmeg, Star Anise, Aldehydes, Orange and Lemon; middle notes of Cinnamon, Carnation, Pimento, Geranium, Heliotrope and Jasmine; and base notes of Benzoin, Vanilla, Musk, Tonka Bean, Cedar and Ambergris."
When someone says "That aftershave makes you smell like Old Man" what they really mean is "You're wearing a scent that reminds me of someone in my past who wore such a scent, and which I now associate with a gentlemen of advancing age."

All men smell different from each other, of all ages. And it's not just a matter of hygiene or who perspires more.

How do I know this? Many years ago, a woman could politely tell each of us, just by our 'scent', exactly what our diets consisted of. And it was different for each one of us. She could tell the meat eaters from the vegetable lovers, and even more, what kinds of meats and vegetables we each tended to consume. Caffeine and dairy, too. It was uncanny.

And she added that many women have this capability, but don't fully understand it. And that our individual body chemistry, impacted by diet, causes differing aroma responses with various fragrances we use. What smells great on one man might smell distasteful on another man, from a woman's perspective.

This factor was in addition to the base fragrance elements that more universally set off the right pheromones for the opposite sex. A lot goes on with the pairing process of the species, and scent is just one piece of it.

The types of men, and the ages of men, are apparently reflected in their varying personal chemistries and scents.

I imagine among other things, the body chemistry of an older gentleman is intrinsicly different from that of a younger man. Testosterone and many other factors change with the years. And so does diet.

And I have no doubt it impacts not just an unfragranced body scent, but how fragrances react to it.

So what does it all mean to me? It means my aftershaves must get along well with bran, coffee, and without garlic.

Top Bottom