What's new

Old Man Smell

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Fantastic information. I guess the primary purpose of this scent would have been to mask the smell of horse excreta, rather than to make the wearer smell good. What do you think?
And horse and human sweat from riding on said horse for hours in the sun every day.
A masking smell rather than one to intrigue the ladies so to speak.

My Mrs (40s) thinks Old Spice and Brut smell like old man, her uncle wore Old Spice all the time. I don't smell that at all, I like Old Spice, my dad used Brut and Blue Stratos and whilst Brut does remind me of him current Blue Stratos is different enough that I don't get the association. The scent I most associate with my dad is Palmolive Classic shaving cream and Embassy cigarette smoke. If there is a smell I associate with old man it is the smell of Gitane cigarettes, I had a history teacher who smelt of them (he acquired the taste for them when stationed in France after the war). You could actually tell when he was coming because you could smell the cigarettes first.
Our metalwork teacher, in the early 1960s, smelt of tobacco most of the time and tobacco and beer occasionally.
He had a nasty habit of crow pecking kids on the head, and could break up a fight in the playground almost instantly.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
And horse and human sweat from riding on said horse for hours in the sun every day.
A masking smell rather than one to intrigue the ladies so to speak.

"Old Spice means qual-i-ty," Said the cap-tain to the bo'-sun. Ask for the pack-age with The ship that sails the o-cean. Yo-ho!, Yo-Ho!"

Chum and Old Spice.jpeg

I think we're gonna need a bigger bottle.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Thanks! I’ll have that tune going through my head all day. I kind of remember them singing “Fresh as a breeze” before the Yo-ho, Yo-ho.

Sorry to do that. That jingle seemed to fit the image best.

Try a teaspoon of peanut butter. That sometimes works when that happens!

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Clubman reminds my wife of her dad. I’m in my early 70s BTW. We both grew up in Chicago where it seemed like all the barbershops had Clubman at the ready. Jade East was one of the biggies when I was in high school. Powerful stuff when used in liberal quantities. You could almost see the green cloud over the guy wearing it.

Clubman reminds my wife of her dad. I’m in my early 70s BTW. We both grew up in Chicago where it seemed like all the barbershops had Clubman at the ready. Jade East was one of the biggies when I was in high school. Powerful stuff when used in liberal quantities. You could almost see the green cloud over the guy wearing it.
I remember Jade East. It was originally produced by Swank, launching in 1964. It was an oriental/spicy Fougere unlike many aromatic Fougeres. The fragrance was discontinued in 1988, but relaunched in 2005. For a while, the brand was owned by Songo, but is now produced by Knight Distributing-Regency Cosmetics. I might pick up a bottle as I can no longer remember the original scent.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
My father smelled like Vitalis hair tonic and the original Listerine mouthwash. He didn't wear cologne. In my early 20s (late 1970s) I worked in an office with several guys in their 60s who all seemed to wear Mennen Afta. As a result that alcohol based balm is the very definition of old man to me. I think they've reformulated it since those days. Feeling nostalgic I bought a $2 bottle of it several years ago and it smelled similar but not identical to what I remembered.

I'm 53, wie 10 years younger than me. When I tried Phoenix & Beau's Spitfire my wife told me that it makes me smell approximately 20 years older. I didn't think so, but I did not want to argue about it so I tossed it away.

To me, Skin Bracer is the quintessential old man smell. Old Spice is too pleasing to my nose, and I wear it myself, to be considered old man smell.

I’m 38 years old , my wife is quick to tell me if there is a fragrance she does not like , there are many scents I love that I only wear when she’s not around to tell me I smell like grandpa. Castle Forbes 1445 is one that I love and she dislikes. All Floid’s have been a no from her yet for me they are amazing. B&M Seville , Fine American Blend TOBS sandalwood , all thumbs up from me and not so much from my wife.

I'm 67. 50 years ago we thought of Clubman as an 'old guy smell' So even much more so now. Any of those old sweet smells such as Brut, Canoe.

Top Bottom