What's new

Old Man Smell

The other old man scent is Pinaud Lilac Vegetal (aka THE VEG). Lilac Vegetal is predominantly the scent of lilacs and Victorian era musk. If you do purchase the scent and it comes in a plastic bottle, immediately decant the juice into a glass bottle. The improvement in fragrance is remarkable and immediate. In the plastic bottle, many people detect the scent of cat urine. That scent goes away as soon as you ditch the plastic bottle. I do not quite know why this happens, but it does. I enjoy smelling the scent from time to time, but I do not wear it.
Lilac Vegetal is definitely not an old man scent. It is an old woman scent.

I think, perhaps, whether or not 'old man smell' resonates as a pejorative largely depends on which segment of a younger generation you survey.

In the case of the quite young, they often want nothing at all to do with the traditions or daily practices of their parents/grandparents. They are keen to make their own mark on the world and thus often make choices based almost solely in contradiction.

As those young people begin to age into mid-life and beyond, there can sometimes occur an awakening that perhaps what their forebears have been doing/saying all along was in fact of value and should not be so casually dismissed.

In other words, perhaps what smells 'old' to a young man of say 23 yrs may end up smelling 'classic' to that same man at 45.

I wish I knew what aftershave my Grandad used. When he was all dressed up and freshly shaved I thought he smelled like a grand gentleman. I wonder if I would still recognize that smell if I ran across it. He passed away over 40 years ago.
If I remember correctly my grandpa used both Brut and Skin Bracer (not at the same time). I think he used whatever happened to be cheaper at the time (he grew up in the depression). It’ll be 25 years this coming Christmas since he passed

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Well, if you get someone telling you that your aftershave makes you smell like an old man, grab them and take them over to your local nursing home to do a comparison sniff.
Old men don't smell like aftershave, they smell like farts and Depends diapers.
My grandfather often smelled of Vicks VapoRub. He lived with us at our house in Sacramento, CA for many years. He used to rub it on his chest every night before bed. I miss that guy.

My wife does a wonderful job in telling me I smell like an old man all while smashing my love for my newly acquired fragrance - some of my favorites that she has told me smell like grandpa

Castle Forbes 1445
Tobs sandalwood
AOD sandalwood
B&M Seville
Gentlemen’s Nod Zaharoff signature royale
Tabac
Fine American Blend

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
My wife does a wonderful job in telling me I smell like an old man all while smashing my love for my newly acquired fragrance - some of my favorites that she has told me smell like grandpa

Castle Forbes 1445
Tobs sandalwood
AOD sandalwood
B&M Seville
Gentlemen’s Nod Zaharoff signature royale
Tabac
Fine American Blend

She must have known some pretty classy old gents in her youth!

Well, if you get someone telling you that your aftershave makes you smell like an old man, grab them and take them over to your local nursing home to do a comparison sniff.
Old men don't smell like aftershave, they smell like farts and Depends diapers.
EXACTLY what I was thinking ahahahahahah

I worked at a nursing home when I was young ! I would have rather smelled AS heck even Tabac would have been better as that smell reminds me of my aunt :)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
@luvmysuper , thanks for the laffs and tears! Made me miss my Dad, who usually smelled of Brut and Pall Malls, and later in life Stetson and Pall Malls.... Or Prince Albert, lol.

My Dad usually did NOT wear Old Spice, but LOTS of his cronies did...so once I joined up here at Badger and Blade imagine my surprise when I was hearing all the praise for it. I just always thought of it as an old dude scent.

Then something funny happened: I got old and fell in love with OLD Old Spice. Which led me to Avon Spicy from the 60's that I have been buying at Goodwill for the last 5 years or so.

Thanks for the marvelous posts that brought me back to my youth my friends! You are why I come hear: you make even TALKING about shaving fun!

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
@luvmysuper , thanks for the laffs and tears! Made me miss my Dad, who usually smelled of Brut and Pall Malls, and later in life Stetson and Pall Malls.... Or Prince Albert, lol.

My Dad usually did NOT wear Old Spice, but LOTS of his cronies did...so once I joined up here at Badger and Blade imagine my surprise when I was hearing all the praise for it. I just always thought of it as an old dude scent.

Then something funny happened: I got old and fell in love with OLD Old Spice. Which led me to Avon Spicy from the 60's that I have been buying at Goodwill for the last 5 years or so.

Thanks for the marvelous posts that brought me back to my youth my friends! You are why I come hear: you make even TALKING about shaving fun!

Yes, this topic has been a home run. And I don’t normally banter about AS and fragrances.

Top Bottom