What's new

My Guess... 3017

12AF4066-700A-4EE7-8597-26770945B393.jpeg

Closing in on CBL Poseidon.

I was cleaning out one of the lower drawers in the shave den and ran across an Omega boar that I havent seen / used in years, and frankly, had forgotten I had. Its that huge Professional brush, the one with the long black barber handle. Omega Pro 98. I must not have used it very much because it isn't fully broken in yet. A brush in the shave den not broken in!?!? Cant have that.

I've been using it the last few shaves with the puck of AoSt and am shocked...stunned...and downright flabbergasted at how well its going. This thing has taken to the triple-milled puck like ticks to a hound dog. I can whip up a 5 star grade lather in no time. So far its a match made in heaven.

I was cleaning out one of the lower drawers in the shave den and ran across an Omega boar that I havent seen / used in years, and frankly, had forgotten I had. Its that huge Professional brush, the one with the long black barber handle. Omega Pro 98. I must not have used it very much because it isn't fully broken in yet. A brush in the shave den not broken in!?!? Cant have that.

I've been using it the last few shaves with the puck of AoSt and am shocked...stunned...and downright flabbergasted at how well its going. This thing has taken to the triple-milled puck like ticks to a hound dog. I can whip up a 5 star grade lather in no time. So far its a match made in heaven.

Speaking of large Omega boar brushes, I have been using my Omega Pro 48 lately with a triple-milled puck of eShave Mandarin. Mine is well-broken in and is also performing superbly. I have replaced the original chintzy plastic handle with an ash handle of my own making:

OmegaPro48AshHandle.jpg

Finished CBL Poseidon yesterday. Great soap that exceeded my expectations in every way.
IMG_4608.jpeg

Backstock
Soap 2023-03-11.jpg

AOS Tallow Lemon in a Cade flying saucer is back on the clock.
IMG_4609 Small.jpeg

Last edited:
The big Omega Pro boar has been quite a discovery. So far it is producing far better lathers with AoSt than high end badgers, mixed knots, and synthetics. I don't know why I ever set this brush aside years ago. I must not have liked something about it but I can't recall what. It has better backbone and softer tips than my SOC boar and doesn't hog lather nearly as much. The only negative I can find is this thing really chews through triple-milled soap. Its an absolute soap destroyer. Although, considering the size of my soap stash maybe thats a positive attribute rather than a negative.

I've been working my way through PDP 63 for a few weeks. It lathers fine but for me it's not a top tier soap by any means. That scent though is fantastic.
I enjoyed a year with PdP. It was finicky to start with until I got it dialed in. I was only able to use a Synthetic with it, not sure why.

I'm on Tallow Tabac now.

As good as PdP was, Tabac is on another level of greatness. Up there with Tallow Haslinger for me.

strop

Now half as wise
I'm just a little over a month into my journey with The Knize. This has certainly exceeded my expectations, and I would rank it right up there with all my favorites-AOSt, DRH, C&S, Tabac, SIM, vintage Williams, and MdC. This is one that I won't mind if it takes 4 or 5 months to finish.

I'm just a little over a month into my journey with The Knize. This has certainly exceeded my expectations, and I would rank it right up there with all my favorites-AOSt, DRH, C&S, Tabac, SIM, vintage Williams, and MdC. This is one that I won't mind if it takes 4 or 5 months to finish.

Thank you for sharing your experience.
I’ve long been curious about Knize shaving soap and as you noted in an earlier post it gets almost no play here. Many years ago my father wore Knize Ten cologne and I believe the shaving soap is of the same scent. I’ve got a trip to NYC coming up shortly. I think I’ll carve out some time for a visit to Pastuers Pharmacy. If they have Knize on the shelf it’ll accompany me back home to fly over country.

Top Bottom