luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thanks!

Image1.png

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I’m glad y’all were all able to get some. I passed, I have enough twists to last a while.

I think most here are familiar with Country Squire, but if your not some of their house blends are great.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
@luvmysuper @brandaves good luck with them, chaps. I couldn't get them to work for me. I think I'd have had more success trying to smoke the stove rope gasket I had, when I had a narrow boat. :001_rolle

They are (or were) primarily made as chewing tobaccos. The old miners (so I have been told) used to chew it down the pit, then once the flavour had gone, they'd dried it back out (the same pieces they'd been chewing on), and smoke 'em "top side". I can actually see that working better, as I think they're loaded with glycerine, hence them not drying well. Chewing, I think, flushes that out.

Personally, I tried drying out (unchewed) coins for two days, and they still wouldn't bloody burn. In the end, I had to coin cut, quarter the coins, and then mix them with shag tobacco to get them to smoke. Maybe they treat them differently for export though. Or maybe I was getting them too fresh. (I both some plug tobacco last year, I think, which had a date code of just 15 days earlier).

I don't want to put anyone off these, just make them aware that there might be even more prep needed than with plug. Oh, and be sat down with a full stomach... 🍻

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
@luvmysuper @brandaves good luck with them, chaps. I couldn't get them to work for me. I think I'd have had more success trying to smoke the stove rope gasket I had, when I had a narrow boat. :001_rolle

They are (or were) primarily made as chewing tobaccos. The old miners (so I have been told) used to chew it down the pit, then once the flavour had gone, they'd dried it back out (the same pieces they'd been chewing on), and smoke 'em "top side". I can actually see that working better, as I think they're loaded with glycerine, hence them not drying well. Chewing, I think, flushes that out.

Personally, I tried drying out (unchewed) coins for two days, and they still wouldn't bloody burn. In the end, I had to coin cut, quarter the coins, and then mix them with shag tobacco to get them to smoke. Maybe they treat them differently for export though. Or maybe I was getting them too fresh. (I both some plug tobacco last year, I think, which had a date code of just 15 days earlier).

I don't want to put anyone off these, just make them aware that there might be even more prep needed than with plug. Oh, and be sat down with a full stomach... 🍻
Rope in general I cut up very fine, like ribbon and then let it dry 20 - 30 min before smoking. It's worked out ok for me that way.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I cut mine into paper thin coins so it rubs out to a shag. I don’t like dry tobacco so I just smoke it as is and deal with the wet dottle at the end, as much as it pains me to waste that which I have laborious worked to amass ;).

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification

Rope in general I cut up very fine, like ribbon and then let it dry 20 - 30 min before smoking. It's worked out ok for me that way.

I cut mine into paper thin coins so it rubs out to a shag. I don’t like dry tobacco so I just smoke it as is and deal with the wet dottle at the end, as much as it pains me to waste that which I have laborious worked to amass ;).
Appreciate the lessons learned. I'll have to experiment I'm sure. I probably won't get to actually smoking any for awhile though. It'll be cellared a bit.

Top Bottom