What's new

In stock tobacco thread

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Maybe we should start a new club Tobacco Obsession and Acquisition Disorder. We’ll call it TOAD and do nothing but list the tobacco we’ve purchased that day.

About that thought. Whenever the opportunity presents itself, I increasingly enjoy reposting this one, which encapsulates our gentle avocation (… or habit, or hobby, depending on where one sits on the arc), with due levity:

Pipe Smoking.JPG

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
At 3 grams a bowl that would equal $5 something a bowl…….an excellent bowl. Still pretty cheap vs a decent cigar I say. 😍 🤪

:thumbup1: Some shops here are already selling 50g tins at more than $25 USD (equivalent), but I'd much rather have 20 smokes from that tin/pouch, than blow (suck?) it all on one cigar.

My personal cut off is £20 GBP for 50g, which is nominally a quid a bowl for me (though I can get up to 25 smokes per tin from some blends). I can still get some tobaccos below that price, but Germain's has already crossed that threshold within the last couple of years, by up to 50% at some places.

Not that it matters, because it's never in stock anyway :lol:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My personal cut off is £20 GBP for 50g, which is nominally a quid a bowl for me (though I can get up to 25 smokes per tin from some blends). I can still get some tobaccos below that price, but Germain's has already crossed that threshold within the last couple of years, by up to 50% at some places.

... and I just received an email from one of the UK tobacconists, saying that the anticipated price (tax/duty) hike at the next budget (March 15th) is a further 12.5%. That knocks most UK market blends over the prohibitive (for me) £20/50g threshold. Sam Gawith, Gawith Hoggarth, Condor, St Bruno, Rattray's, McConnell etc etc. That wouldn't mean "no more tobacco ever again", but it does mean no more buying anything I don't want to smoke straight away. I simply can't afford to be "laying stuff away" at those prices (hence receiving a last ditch parcel of a few less common favourites this morning).

So now, it's balancing the occasional pouch/tin for immediate use, with pulling out a bit of the stash. Or in other words... reaping the benefit of all the time and money I've already invested, by smoking tobacco that tastes better, and cost less than what's currently being sold :biggrin1:

The upside for you guys on the other side of the puddle, is that you might be seeing more Gawith deliveries if UK consumption does drop. The downside might be more Kendal-made blends becoming made to order, and only produced when a wholesaler or retailer orders a full production batch. Particularly those blends that aren't the ones "everyone" cellars deep.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Oh... and read something else that says the UK plan is to reduce smokers to below 5% of the population... but they're about 7 years behind schedule (currently around 12%).

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Oh... and read something else that says the UK plan is to reduce smokers to below 5% of the population... but they're about 7 years behind schedule (currently around 12%).

Not to restart a politically controversial topic, but here in the US, California is now moving legislation to ban all smoking for those born after a date certain. The New Zealand brick wall model. And based on how California runs, I suspect it will pass.

While a California ban might not impede the gentleman in the Carolinas or Texas from enjoying a bowl, it will inevitably affect the cost, as economies of scale are impaired.

Suffice it to say, the war on tobacco is very real, everywhere. And it's escalating.

A word of wisdom to the younger pipe gents: stock up on tobacco, not pipes.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Too late for me. The bell has rung. I will be comfortable for quite some time though.

I think the focus for me now, is smoking them in the right order... i.e. what do I age the longest and smoke in the shorter term for best results? That's what I've been putting pen and paper to this evening.

I planned the intake fairly well, and achieved what I wanted. Now to plan the flow back out to the same standard. Periques for now, Periques for later, etc, through all the six blend families I file them in. Maintaining variety throughout, so I have some Virginia's and Vapers to enjoy now, as well as some aromatics to enjoy later, for example.

Top Bottom