What's new

Wolfman recommendations?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
For the first time I am thinking about a wolfman. I have spent so much on alternatives because I was afraid of the price, I figure it might be time to bite the bullet.

There's a problem. I know nothing about these razors. I know there is a WR1 and a WR2. And I know that there are different blade gaps. But that is it. I don't know anything about how they actually shave.

I am a somewhat unique case, because I have a very dense beard, and very sensitive skin. I find that very efficient razors, such as the Yaqi top aggressive slant, shave me great. I have used and loved that razor for years. It's efficiency is super. The problem with it is, if I use it more than two days in a row, my skin starts getting irritated because it's so very efficient.

Another reason that I loved was the Black bird. That Razer had perfect efficiency for my skin, but, sadly, the handle I just could not fall in love with. And it wouldn't take any alternative handles.

With this background information, would any of you be able to recommend me a wolfman razor that might suit my needs?

What is the difference between WR1 and WR2?

I have no experience with Wolfman so I cannot help you in that department other than support for your question - the number of choice with Wolfman is mind boggling.

However, what I did want to draw your attention to is your remark on handles for the Blackbird. @never-stop-learning has had no problems pairing it with another handle.

So you could also reach out to the Master of Handles @Rosseforp and make that special handle (andI be for the investment of a Wolfman, Doug can make you more than one for sure!) for you so you can use a razor that worked very well for you.

Just a thought.

Cheers,

Guido

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
@CzechCzar , I don't have my Wolfman yet. I just paid the invoice yesterday so it will be a while before it shows up at our place. I did discuss my choices with @Mr. Shavington and a few others. I ended up ordering the WR2 .95 gap with a Darwin handle. I just love the beauty of that handle. I did order a hollow hybrid handle from them: what they call a WRH 3/7. You can see photos of it in the three Wolfman threads. @Mr. Shavington has posted some thoughts today about the WR2.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The Stainless Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB is a superb razor. I use Timeless Crown TRH8 Polished Titanium, TiBam New York, TiBam Antique and Doug’s wonderful GTx 25g handles.

My next Wolfman (on the waiting list now) will be a Titanium WR2 1.25 SB, which will be (most likely) used with Doug’s GTx 25g handles. :)

For the first time I am thinking about a wolfman. I have spent so much on alternatives because I was afraid of the price, I figure it might be time to bite the bullet.

There's a problem. I know nothing about these razors. I know there is a WR1 and a WR2. And I know that there are different blade gaps. But that is it. I don't know anything about how they actually shave.

I am a somewhat unique case, because I have a very dense beard, and very sensitive skin. I find that very efficient razors, such as the Yaqi top aggressive slant, shave me great. I have used and loved that razor for years. It's efficiency is super. The problem with it is, if I use it more than two days in a row, my skin starts getting irritated because it's so very efficient.

Another reason that I loved was the Black bird. That Razer had perfect efficiency for my skin, but, sadly, the handle I just could not fall in love with. And it wouldn't take any alternative handles.

With this background information, would any of you be able to recommend me a wolfman razor that might suit my needs?

What is the difference between WR1 and WR2?
I’m no particular expert on Wolfmans - especially not compared to many here - but the link @Phoenixkh posted to my WR2 comments today pretty much says everything I’ve discovered from trying WR2s to date. It’ll be interesting to hear Kim’s impressions after he receives his WR2 0.95, since he and I have many razors in common and he knows where I’m coming from and how to interpret my thoughts. I think the 0.95 will surprise him how efficient it is, even though he already knows I think that.

I think the WR2 is a very unconventional razor, and I don’t know any other razors that are like it, or that anyone has successfully copied it. The WR2 is essentially a high-gap, high-exposure razor, and it’s unusual to encounter both in a razor. You’d expect it to be harsh but somehow it isn’t. The standard gap 0.95 is a very efficient and smooth feeling razor, and quite remarkable quality - I especially enjoy the smooth feel of the scalloped safety bar. Over the years customers managed to convince James to offer incrementally larger gaps and, I’d say by happy accident, they found that the 1.55 gap is also an amazing and surprising razor. If you shave very steep and lightly with the 1.55 (you can go very steep indeed because of the huge exposure and gap) then it behaves unlike anything else - it almost magically wipes off your stubble and leaves your face with a marble sheen, it’s amazingly efficient and it’s very manageable and gentle. Now people are getting up to a 1.85 gap and liking it. So the WR2 head design has proved to be very effective at giving efficient, smooth shaves over a very wide range of configurations.

The WR1 is a much more conventional razor design. It has a slimmer profile head, smaller gaps, less blade exposure, and it’s lighter and more nimble than the WR2. Most people say the WR2 design offers a bit more smoothness than the WR1 for similar efficiency. The WR1 is a more popular choice than the WR2 if you want an open comb - there seems to be relatively less effect on comfort opening the comb on the WR1.

Both models are peerless quality. They do feel and look special, still, today.

That’s my take on Wolfman DE razors. As I say, plenty of others have greater experience with these razors and can add to or contradict what I’ve noted.

or that anyone has successfully copied it
Apparently Yaqi has come very close with their Sentinel 1.5 and 1.35. At least what I read on a German forum and there are reviews appearing on YouTube. But I have no idea as I do not have either and a Wolfman neither. My layman eye tells me the WR2 is a very unique design and instantly recognisable - and based on what I read in other threads is the modern day Tech, which for me would explain why it’s such a good and comfortable razor.

How is the Wolfman .95 compared to the Ti95 - I thought you had that one too, but maybe I’m mistaken.

Thanks,

Guido

Apparently Yaqi has come very close with their Sentinel 1.5 and 1.35. At least what I read on a German forum and there are reviews appearing on YouTube. But I have no idea as I do not have either and a Wolfman neither.

How is the Wolfman .95 compared to the Ti95 - I thought you had that one too, but maybe I’m mistaken.

Thanks,

Guido
I do. I haven’t shaved with my Timeless 95 for a long time but I did recently use my Timeless 68 because I wanted to re-evaluate it. My sense with the 68 (and this will apply to the 95 too) is that the head is quite heavy and bulky. This gives it good efficiency, but the size and shape of the head, and the shape of the comb, can give it a slightly numb feeling to me. I feel the same with my Rocnel SE50 and my ATT X1 - the razor head is more noticeable on my face than the blade so it feels almost like a blunt object to me rather than a scalpel. My Timeless 68 has a matte finish and this felt a bit gritty on my skin compared to finer grained matte finishes that I’ve become used to.

The Wolfman WR2 0.95 is going to feel smoother and more precise, and it has more blade presence. Firstly because the texture of the finish is smoother, but also because less of the head and safety bar is in contact with the skin. If you get the angle right the Timeless 68 and 95 are pretty efficient, but the WR2 0.95 is more so, I think, and for me the WR2 is also gentler on my skin than even the Timeless 68. The fit and finish of the Wolfman is on another level, of course, and that’s no criticism of the Timeless.

I like Timeless and it was good to use the 68 again, but it did remind me why I gelled better with the Timeless Slim. Beautiful designs, those Timeless razors, though, and they’re really excellent. I was pleasantly surprised how efficient the 68 is - more than I had remembered. I think the head weight is a factor in that.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
thanks very much all of you for your input. Thanks especially for the link to the other thread - the WR2 1.55 seems very promising.

I hope you don't mind if I ask some questions! I am happy to do it in the other thread too if the mods would like to consolidate.

My best razor - that which can get me a reliable BBS shave that lasts all day - is the humble Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant.

It certainly feels aggressive, but I can count on one hand the number of times I have nicked myself. It's just pokey. Because my beard grows in all different directions, even razors termed by most to be "efficient" can't get me BBS.

Are any of you in a similar situation? Can you use the WR2 1.55 every day of the week?

thanks very much all of you for your input. Thanks especially for the link to the other thread - the WR2 1.55 seems very promising.

I hope you don't mind if I ask some questions! I am happy to do it in the other thread too if the mods would like to consolidate.

My best razor - that which can get me a reliable BBS shave that lasts all day - is the humble Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant.

It certainly feels aggressive, but I can count on one hand the number of times I have nicked myself. It's just pokey. Because my beard grows in all different directions, even razors termed by most to be "efficient" can't get me BBS.

Are any of you in a similar situation? Can you use the WR2 1.55 every day of the week?
I am sure I could use the WR2 1.55 daily and it is gentle enough to my skin (I don’t shave daily, though). You don’t need to use many strokes or go over your most difficult areas multiple times to get a really close shave. It’s also very efficient with the grain and you could easily just do that and some clean-ups to get a very good shave quickly and easily. It doesn’t stress my skin at all and I don’t get much aftershave sting after I use it.

It just might be overkill - would you have enough to shave the next day, amd do you need the kind of efficiency that leaves a satin sheen on your face? The 0.95 is also very efficient and I would expect the 0.85 or 0.75 to also be efficient enough for a reliable, easy BBS shave with a very mild, refined, luxurious feel.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I am sure I could use the WR2 1.55 daily and it is gentle enough to my skin (I don’t shave daily, though). You don’t need to use many strokes or go over your most difficult areas multiple times to get a really close shave. It’s also very efficient with the grain and you could easily just do that and some clean-ups to get a very good shave quickly and easily. It doesn’t stress my skin at all and I don’t get much aftershave sting after I use it.

It just might be overkill - would you have enough to shave the next day, amd do you need the kind of efficiency that leaves a satin sheen on your face? The 0.95 is also very efficient and I would expect the 0.85 or 0.75 to also be efficient enough for a reliable, easy BBS shave with a very mild, refined, luxurious feel.
I am an efficiency junky, so I am pretty sure the 1.55 is right up my alley. A shave so close that I don't have to shave the next day - but I can if I want - is right up my alley.

For those of you who have both, how would you say that a Blackbird compares to a WR2 1.55? Both SB.

I am an efficiency junky, so I am pretty sure the 1.55 is right up my alley. A shave so close that I don't have to shave the next day - but I can if I want - is right up my alley.

For those of you who have both, how would you say that a Blackbird compares to a WR2 1.55? Both SB.
The WR2 1.55 is certainly more efficient than the Blackbird. I suspect few would disagree with that. There isn’t much else as efficient as a WR2 1.55, though I think the Razorock Superslant L3 I got recently is.

For me the Blackbird is most efficient shaving steep - but not as efficient as the WR2 1.55, and not nearly as smooth. I find the Blackbird becomes remarkably smooth shaving shallow (following the top cap bevel the way I assume it’s designed to be used) but it’s only a medium-high efficiency razor like that for me.

That’s my take, anyway.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
The WR2 1.55 is certainly more efficient than the Blackbird. I suspect few would disagree with that. There isn’t much else as efficient as a WR2 1.55, though I think the Razorock Superslant L3 I got recently is.

For me the Blackbird is most efficient shaving steep - but not as efficient as the WR2 1.55, and not nearly as smooth. I find the Blackbird becomes remarkably smooth shaving shallow (following the top cap bevel the way I assume it’s designed to be used) but it’s only a medium-high efficiency razor like that for me.

That’s my take, anyway.
That was my experience with the BB as well. Shane was outstanding in ever way. The razor was beautiful. But I just don't like shallow angle. I couldn't reliably hold the handle - I like wet lathers.

"medium-high efficiency" is a good way to put it. Nothing wrong with it, but I need high to very-high efficiency.

That was my experience with the BB as well. Shane was outstanding in ever way. The razor was beautiful. But I just don't like shallow angle. I couldn't reliably hold the handle - I like wet lathers.

"medium-high efficiency" is a good way to put it. Nothing wrong with it, but I need high to very-high efficiency.
Ok. Then if you prefer shaving steep and you want very high efficiency and you want a razor gentle enough to use daily, that’s what the WR2 1.55 is. You better start saving. 😁

@SgtCrppls
I am pretty sure its the blackbird he has or he had and he has experience with many Wolfman so he might be able to give you some thoughts ? Comparing those if that helps :)

from memory that BB seems to compare to wolfman around a 1.35 ? But cant remember for sure or it was the 1.25 ?

I had the 1.15 but was to much daily after a week it caught up to me but I am OK with the Timeless .68 daily so sensitive skin and hard red/grey facial hair to cut but the thing was awesome was just to much for me daily and I really only want one razor so I prefer those super mellow razors :)

I do plan on trying another one in the future but in the low .85 range :) but I know I am in the minority here

I prefer aggressive razors as well (Yaqi top aggressive slant among them) and it sounds like we have similar facial hair/skin.

I've been very happy with my WR2 1.65 SB. I can shave with it daily. It rarely takes more than 2 passes to get me where I want to be, but doesn't leave my face feeling worked over. I need to pay attention with it, but it seems a lot less likely to bite me if have a momentary shift in concentration, whereas something like the Stirling HA would not be as forgiving.

I discussed getting one with a larger gap with Tara and she and James steered we away from that saying it would not be very different from what I already have. So I think something like a WR2 in the 1.45-1.65 range would probably suit you well.

I like the fit and feel of the Blackbird, but it was not efficient enough for my preferences (and I tried a number of shaving angles). I still think it is a very nice razor from a fantastic proprietor.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I prefer aggressive razors as well (Yaqi top aggressive slant among them) and it sounds like we have similar facial hair/skin.

I've been very happy with my WR2 1.65 SB. I can shave with it daily. It rarely takes more than 2 passes to get me where I want to be, but doesn't leave my face feeling worked over. I need to pay attention with it, but it seems a lot less likely to bite me if have a momentary shift in concentration, whereas something like the Stirling HA would not be as forgiving.

I discussed getting one with a larger gap with Tara and she and James steered we away from that saying it would not be very different from what I already have. So I think something like a WR2 in the 1.45-1.65 range would probably suit you well.

I like the fit and feel of the Blackbird, but it was not efficient enough for my preferences (and I tried a number of shaving angles). I still think it is a very nice razor from a fantastic proprietor.
Now that is a good question. 1.55 or 1.65? I have approximately 235 hours of catchup reading to do.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Nothing beats the WR2 1.25 SB, IMHO.
BEB3F139-345B-42FB-9323-7BBC71388438.jpeg

Top Bottom