What's new

Wolfman recommendations?

Your best option is to by one from someone else. Although some owners insist that Wolfman's are like Rolex watches and they sell theirs for 90-95% of the price they've paid, there others which are more reasonable folks who can sell you one much cheaper.

I have a Wolfman on it's way and I've paid around 50% of its original value and a few days after the purchase I saw another Wolfman going for below 50% of it's value, but the plate that it had was 0.95 and I was looking for at least 1.25.

If you're patient enough and you also check the BST, you will eventually find one at a very reasonable price. Thank God most people around here are reasonable and not everyone is a greedy goblin.

I guess whatever the market will bear.

If I bought one and used it for a short while, only to find it didn't work for me, I would hope to recover as much of my investment as possible in order to defer the cost of my new gamble.

Again, for the seller seeking a razor that works, it is a terrible option, potentially throwing good money after bad.

They don't need your order and have a long waiting list. All the information you seek can found right here and scattered across the internet. Or email Tara if you have specific questions. Sometimes even James will respond.

Yes, the amount of options is kind of overwhelming for a first-time buyer. It was so much easier when it was standard gap or the more aggressive option, i.e. .61 or .74 for the WR1. Polished or brushed. And that's it.

Could the website be better? Absolutely. There's still no mention of the WR3 apart from the price list. Or even the gaps available for any of the heads. I don't expect this will change any time soon even though the WR4 is on schedule to be released in April-May.

If you are interested in the WR1 or 2 I would definitely buy from the BST first. Would be very easy to trade your way up or down the gaps to find your sweetspot.

Gaps available (lower and higher gaps on request)

WR1 .48, .54, .61, .67, .74, .80, .86, .94 (standard gap = .61)
WR2 .95, 1.05, 1.15, 1.25, 1.35, 1.45. 1.55 (standard gap = .95)
WR3 .25, .30, .35, .40, .45, .50, .55, .60 (standard gap = .40)

I guess whatever the market will bear.

If I bought one and used it for a short while, only to find it didn't work for me, I would hope to recover as much of my investment as possible in order to defer the cost of my new gamble.

Again, for the seller seeking a razor that works, it is a terrible option, potentially throwing good money after bad.

Wolfman are very controversial razors. A friend of mine was given a WR2 1.25 and while he really enjoys highly efficient razors, he said that the 1.25 gap is too much for him, which is unusual, since a lot of people find it to be quite efficient, but not aggressive.

The person from which I've bought the WR2 1.25 told me that he likes it, but he enjoys his 1.65 a bit more and there's no point of keeping both. Depending how much I enjoy the 1.25, I might try with a 1.65 as well, but I think it's to early for me to make such predictions.

Like I said, your best bet is BST. If you can't find one, you can just make your own WTB post and buy just the head with the most basic finish. A brand new WR2 head with the most basic finish costs $300CAD or $220USD, which means that you can probably find it for around $150-$160 on the second hand market, given that you find a reasonable seller that is.

They don't need your order and have a long waiting list. All the information you seek can found right here and scattered across the internet. Or email Tara if you have specific questions. Sometimes even James will respond.

Yes, the amount of options is kind of overwhelming for a first-time buyer. It was so much easier when it was standard gap or the more aggressive option, i.e. .61 or .74 for the WR1. Polished or brushed. And that's it.

Could the website be better? Absolutely. There's still no mention of the WR3 apart from the price list. Or even the gaps available for any of the heads. I don't expect this will change any time soon even though the WR4 is on schedule to be released in April-May.

If you are interested in the WR1 or 2 I would definitely buy from the BST first. Would be very easy to trade your way up or down the gaps to find your sweetspot.

Gaps available (lower and higher gaps on request)

WR1 .48, .54, .61, .67, .74, .80, .86, .94 (standard gap = .61)
WR2 .95, 1.05, 1.15, 1.25, 1.35, 1.45. 1.55 (standard gap = .95)
WR3 .25, .30, .35, .40, .45, .50, .55, .60 (standard gap = .40)

I shouldn't have to read thousands of posts here, or run around the internet to find information about their razors to make a sound decision.

I don't think it is asking too much for a seller of top-tier razors, at a premium price, to offer guidance on choosing the razor that best suits the user.

I'm happy to hear that they don't need me, or my money, as I won't be patronizing Wolfman. The absolute best they can hope for is that I buy one at a bargain-basement price from someone desperate to cut their losses on a mistake they made, enabling them to spend that money chasing their perfect Wolfman razor.

I can see both sides of this, honestly.

On one hand @gpjoe makes a completely fair point and it certainly isn’t good for customers that the manufacturer provides no help at all to make the right choice. Wolfman doesn’t provide anywhere near the customer service you normally expect from a premium manufacturer of…anything. They don’t really provide any customer service at all. Other manufacturers do.

I think the other perspective is that James is an outstandingly skilled machinist and razor designer, his work is still as exceptional in the market as it always was, and that’s all he is trying to do. He isn’t in the business of customer service, answering inquiries, or giving advice, and he doesn’t need to be since he sells everything he makes and has done so for years. He only offers so many options because his repeat customers demanded it. He is making what his customers ask for, but the razors he designed for sale are the WR1 0.61, the WR2 0.95 and the WR3 0.40. Is it really fair to complain that he doesn’t change his business method and take time away from machining to explain all the other variations that he is only reluctantly making to give customers what they asked him for? Why not just buy the razors in his standard spec if the additional options are creating confusion? The standard gaps are superb shavers.

I think it boils down to an expectation gap. We have no right to demand that James turns off his machines and spends hours dealing with customers, or that he must pay more staff to do it. And he wouldn’t earn a cent more revenue because everything he can physically produce is sold. It’s his business, not ours, and it’s a machining business. If we as customers prefer to buy from a different business that caters to customer questions but most likely produces a lesser product, then that’s our valid choice too.

In the end I think the razors are easily worth it and I think you can safely buy the standard gaps, or alternatively opt to do exhaustive research yourself to try and find out if another gap may suit your preferences even more. James will make it if it’s what you want.

I don’t even know if he could tell us who a WR2 1.65 is suited to. He probably thinks it’s unsuitable for everyone, and is bemused why people keep asking for them. It’s certainly not something he ever intended to make.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I still think the only way to select razors here is to find a person or multiple people who like what you do, based on discussion and observing which razors they love.... and getting sound advice from them.

Buying a razor at any price point is never without risk.... We all make those personal decisions. I'm glad we have BST for when we know this or that product isn't working for us ... or if we are heading in a different direction. BST is usually a win/win.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
This is a hobby for many (perhaps most) of us on B&B. Part of the enjoyment of a hobby is spending time, energy and resources pursuing the spoils of the hobby.

I enjoy researching a razor or brush or soap before acquiring one. It’s an important part of my enjoyment and a reason I spend time on B&B.

This is a hobby for many (perhaps most) of us on B&B. Part of the enjoyment of a hobby is spending time, energy and resources pursuing the spoils of the hobby.

I enjoy researching a razor or brush or soap before acquiring one. It’s an important part of my enjoyment and a reason I spend time on B&B.

I agree with a lot of the points above and this as well. For me it's fun but also can be exhaustive, not in a bad way but just you want to make sure you are making a sound decision.

The Wolfman is tough, like from the price point to knowing what you want, the feedback and such. It's also fun to at the same time, trying to figure this out and can get tiresome at the same time.

It is a hobby for myself and yea part of it is figuring it out, like a puzzle, at the same time I don't want to buy something I won't enjoy and thus far have been fortunate in that.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I think the other perspective is that James is an outstandingly skilled machinist and razor designer, his work is still as exceptional in the market as it always was, and that’s all he is trying to do. He isn’t in the business of customer service, answering inquiries, or giving advice, and he doesn’t need to be since he sells everything he makes and has done so for years. He only offers so many options because his repeat customers demanded it. He is making what his customers ask for, but the razors he designed for sale are the WR1 0.61, the WR2 0.95 and the WR3 0.40. Is it really fair to complain that he doesn’t change his business method and take time away from machining to explain all the other variations that he is only reluctantly making to give customers what they asked him for? Why not just buy the razors in his standard spec if the additional options are creating confusion? The standard gaps are superb shavers.

As a machinist myself, Great perspective.

Ever try running a one or two man machine shop? I have, and it's pretty time consuming just paying the bills when you need to keep the spindles turning. Answer the phone or load parts? No spindles turning, no razors being made, so customer service takes a back-stage, and that is where Tara comes into play.

All you have to do is send Tara an email and you will get your answer right away.

I too was overwhelmed by the options, but this is B&B after all, and I was lucky enough to find a member that let me try out his WR2 1.15 until I decided on a WR2 0.95.

If in doubt, order the standard gap or find a member with a Wolfman or two laying around not being used, which is what I did.

~doug~

Right now I have been doing some research on what to get, not as much as I wanted to but its ok, I have time still. My thing is mostly the blade gap, which is really hard to pin point down to. The metal and handle I have a pretty good idea on but I do have time so we shall see how it goes.

I have ideas that come in mind but again it just depends. I know I will do WR2 solid bar, no doubt there, handle likely WRH1, maybe Darwin that I am a touch more open, I have seen others as well, will need to look at but those appeal to me. I know a Timeless Crown handle is also nice as well but we shall see. Its alot of work and my biggest thing is the blade gap. It really is and that is probably the biggest thing. The .95 WR2 is in contention, so is 1.55 WR2. I know alot has been said about various blade gaps in between there, which makes this harder but again we shall see. It just more stuff to look at, read, re read, re read some more, think, see, pause, stop, go at it again and that is about it.

Writing this out does help as well as chiming in on the other threads.

I know I am posting after a post, I hope that is ok but I figured out what blade gap I am going to get with my Wolfman order, WR2 SB 1.55. I also got a Timeless Crown handle on the way so that is nice.

Now its about picking the metal and handles but that is easier than the blade gap, which took way more time, reserach and work. I appreciated the help I got from various members here on the forums, their feedback helped alot, like really alot so I appreciate that very much. I even confirmed that I am on the waiting list even though I got the email confirmation just to make sure. Good times.

Many opinions, many ideas no one is wrong, no one can spend your money but you. I find the WR-1 shaves me best. Have owned enough of them. Currently using the 0.54 which I would say shaves close to a BB but you need to ride the cap a bit. Blade exposure is .10mm. Some like the base plate with a gap one up from this 0.61, same exposure. Both close to a BB.

WR2 1.25 and 1.15 I wasn’t lucky with. Of course I couldn’t also shave with a timeless Ti .95 or .68.

Here is a question I have been wondering and anyone can answer as well. This might be on the wrong thread but looking for feedback. With the WR2 SB 1.55 or higher gaps (or even OC, WR1 but preferable the configuration I am looking at that is more aggressive/efficient) when anyone shaves with that do they go ATG when they shave? I ask because on my neck area my hairs grow up so in order to go WTG I have to use my razor upside down like I am going ATG. What I am curious to know is just how the razor performs when you have to shave like that meaning ATG like is the blade gap too much or is it fine. Thanks ahead of time. I know I won't know until I acutally shave with it but again any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Here is a question I have been wondering and anyone can answer as well. This might be on the wrong thread but looking for feedback. With the WR2 SB 1.55 or higher gaps (or even OC, WR1 but preferable the configuration I am looking at that is more aggressive/efficient) when anyone shaves with that do they go ATG when they shave? I ask because on my neck area my hairs grow up so in order to go WTG I have to use my razor upside down like I am going ATG. What I am curious to know is just how the razor performs when you have to shave like that meaning ATG like is the blade gap too much or is it fine. Thanks ahead of time. I know I won't know until I acutally shave with it but again any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
My beard on my lower neck also grows up. I use the WR2 1.65 SB regularly in the way you describe without any issues. I use a light touch all around. It's never been an issue. I imagine I am approximating the same angle I use when shaving the rest of my face, the razor just happens to be upside down.

My beard on my lower neck also grows up. I use the WR2 1.65 SB regularly in the way you describe without any issues. I use a light touch all around. It's never been an issue. I imagine I am approximating the same angle I use when shaving the rest of my face, the razor just happens to be upside down.
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Last edited:
I have no experience with Wolfman so I cannot help you in that department other than support for your question - the number of choice with Wolfman is mind boggling.

However, what I did want to draw your attention to is your remark on handles for the Blackbird. @never-stop-learning has had no problems pairing it with another handle.

So you could also reach out to the Master of Handles @Rosseforp and make that special handle (andI be for the investment of a Wolfman, Doug can make you more than one for sure!) for you so you can use a razor that worked very well for you.

Just a thought.

Cheers,

Guido
Is there a thread showing @Rosseforp handles? Been here a while and this info is new to me. Would love other options as Tibam handles can’t be shipped to the US anymore.

Is there a thread showing @Rosseforp handles? Been here a while and this info is new to me. Would love other options as Tibam handles can’t be shipped to the US anymore.
Hi, yes there is - just take a look at his journal. Virtually all handles are by him unless it’sa TTO or straight razor.

And in the spirit of his avatar, I would start with the last post first.

I know almost zero about the Wolfman Razor, but will make a few observation from reading, looking at photos, and official web-site visit.

1. Current owner post flattering images of their razors.

2. IMHO choices of blade gap are too many choices. Think this causes confusion.

3. Supply in less than demand, so if you want one you wait. Good job security for company.

4. This Razor is like Fine Car, made one at time to order, nothing is stock, and on shelf for sale.

5. Apprently people are standing in line to GET THEIRS, it a status thing.

6. Last looking at Images oener post of their Wolfman, I have reason to believe the fit, finish, and quality of product is very very high.

Top Bottom