What's new

Shopping for a new grill

As the tittle states, I am shopping for a new grill, and would appreciate any feedback or suggestions that I can get.

I currently have a Kitchenaid 2 burner propane bbq, like this
C935A4B7-16C5-4521-8A19-1524A77FA037.jpeg

After 6 years of very regular use, and storing it outside in Atlantic Canada, it is toast. The base of the main housing is rotted and full of holes, and now the gas regulator must be damaged because the thing is on BLAST even on it’s lowest setting. So I’m going to put it to the curb.

I’m looking for a slightly bigger grill, 3 or 4 burners, preferably one with a side burner. Something well made and good quality that will hopefully last longer then my current grill. Budget is under $1000 CAD, cheaper is better but I will pay for quality.

I was looking at a Coleman Revolution from CanadianTire, but have seen mixed reviews. Considering an entry level Weber or Napoleon. Maybe even an entry level wood pellet grill, like one of the cheaper Traegers. I’d love a Komado grill, but they are generally more expensive, and come with a learning curve.

What do you use? What can you suggest based on your experience? I grill very regularly and all year round.

I've always used Webber kettles and briquettes. I can say this: they seem near indestructable.

I left one outside, year round and uncovered, in Michigan over 10 years and the worst that happened was that the plating peeled off the grilling grate and it rusted. A replacement was $20US, and now the grill spends winters in a shed.

If it had a stainless steel grate it would be perfect. I'm guessing there may be an aftermarket grate, which I will look into if (when?) my current one needs replacement.

Anyway, you said Webber, though you may have been referring to a gas model, but if you are considering briquettes, the kettle is a great griller.

After many years of gas grills and or charcoal grills, I bought a Camp Chef pellet grill about 2 and a half years ago. I absolutely love it and everyone loves the flavor of the food cooked on it. The model I chose has a knob to pull which allows direct flame for grilling hamburgers etc. Another knob empties the ash into a steel cup; other brands require the unit to be vacuumed out to empty the ash. And another knob pulls to empty the pellet bin for storage. Those features make it convenient to use IMHO.

If you have a Costco out there on the coast, they are beginning to get their grilles in. I was there today in Wpg and saw they have red Kamado Joe II or $999 Canadian. The learning curve with a Kamado is quite low. Versatile cooker that can smoke, sear steaks, cook pizza or cook hotdogs.

Weber, some Napoleon and Broil King will be your best best in terms of quality and some can be had for under $1k Canadian.

Also, check Lowe's if you haven't. They recently had some sweet sales. I think they are being bought out by Rona and going under up here.

Last edited:

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse

I have a PK over 40 years old. I had to replace the charcoal grate last year. First issue it’s ever had and it has cooked literally tons of food. It works great and I do not want anything else.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've had several Webers and a Sunbeam our sons won for me at a restaurant on Father's Day that only lasted a few years... 5 years or so ago, my wife bought me a Big Green Egg (Large). I have to say... I've made the best stuff on that grill, slow smoker. It makes brisket that is out of this world. Pork shoulders or butt roasts as delicious as you'll ever taste. They aren't cheap.... but I wouldn't own anything else at this point.

I sold hundreds of pricey grills in my thirty-six year retail career at an Ace Hardware known as a destination place for grill enthusiasts, and a deep product line-up of several popular name brands. Have used a number of grills/smokers/cookers/griddles at store demonstrations and for my personal use in that time. Two brands have stood out for me, Weber, and more recently Big Green Egg. In terms of build quality, durability, user life of the unit, parts access, manufacturer support of customer, cooking results, and overall owner satisfaction, Weber and Big Green Egg are at the top of the game.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Charcoal (The PK is a great grill, had a friend using one that was decades old & it stayed outside) or lump (BGE owner) is way better than the gassers. I had gas for a long time (TEC) and decided to go back to wood-based BBQ ten years ago. The Egg has sat outside 365 days a year for 10 years or so and still looks new, though the ceramics carry a lifetime warranty. It will run maybe 18 hours on super low with a full load, and also achieve 1200° F for grilling.

The gassy boys will say theirs turns on faster, but I'm not sure if a match to a chimney takes an inordinate amount of extra time. Both need some time to heat the grids. I can tell from yards away how much lump I have left, and don't miss running out of propane Sunday afternoon when the closest go to place went out of business.

I have had this for two years and I love it: Paderno
I was looking at this exact grill along with the Coleman revolution. I saw a few reviews claiming it doesn’t get hot enough. It could be user error or something else… you haven’t had any issues?

I got a Pitboss 820 sportsman just about 2 years ago. Since then I have not burned a single chunk of charcoal and have only used 1 tank of propane.
I cooked all the meat and potatoes for my wedding last summer on it. 80 LB of roast beef, 5 large Turkeys and 100 LB of potatoes. It ran non stop for basically 2 days. Not a problem.
I won it in a draw, if I was buying I would replace it no questions. Would go up to the bigger size tho. We host a lot and cook for 15 to 20 people regularly.

I love it!!

I was looking at this exact grill along with the Coleman revolution. I saw a few reviews claiming it doesn’t get hot enough. It could be user error or something else… you haven’t had any issues?
No issues for me it gets plenty hot. 600 plus Farenheit

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I know you're looking for a gas grill, but I have to add my endorsement for the Weber Kettle. I had one that was nearly 10 years old when it started giving up the ghost. I called them, and they sent me a whole new grill and paid for shipping because it was still under warranty. To be totally precise, they did not send me a new lid because I told them I didn't need one. They did offer, though, and they would've paid the shipping on it.

When the newer one gave out about 10 years later, I didn't hesitate to get a new Weber Kettle. I changed color, so I got a new lid (even though the old lid still was in pretty good shape!)

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I really want a PK. The problem is I have a Weber that Just Won’t Die. I’ve left it out in the rain and snow for 9yrs and it still looks great. I’ve replaced the grill grate itself a few times but that the only maintenance I’ve ever had to do to it.

I have a PK over 40 years old. I had to replace the charcoal grate last year. First issue it’s ever had and it has cooked literally tons of food. It works great and I do not want anything else.
Thanks for making me aware of these, I’ve been doing some research and I really want one now. Quite pricey for a charcoal grill, but it will genuinely outlast the person using it and that is a rare thing these days.

Top Bottom