What's new

New SC users: advice on getting an irritation-free BBS?

My New SC is working much better for me than my 6S when it comes to getting less irritation when going for BBS, but my neck still is left with some redness (rarely any nicks). I've tried many different techniques like buffing, riding the cap, zero pressure, bullfrogging, etc but nothing has completely eliminated the irritation (though bullfrogging helps quite a bit). Likewise I've tried many different blades including Nacets, Silver Blues, and Permasharps. What am I missing? Any tips would be much appreciated.

My New SC is working much better for me than my 6S when it comes to getting less irritation when going for BBS, but my neck still is left with some redness (rarely any nicks). I've tried many different techniques like buffing, riding the cap, zero pressure, bullfrogging, etc but nothing has completely eliminated the irritation (though bullfrogging helps quite a bit). Likewise I've tried many different blades including Nacets, Silver Blues, and Permasharps. What am I missing? Any tips would be much appreciated.
Try the Gillette Platinum which I find to be an acceptably sharp yet smooth and forgiving edge, ideal in an OC razor.

Also the Super Max Diamond Edge from India and Personna Platinum coated blades are good. Also 7 O'Clock Platinum blacks, but they are rather expensive at the moment.

I suspect your blade choices are rather too sharp for the Gillette New SC. I have good success with my SC and LC with a sharp yet forgiving blade.

I find the types I have mentioned to be pleasant in use. Others may have other suggestions.

Last edited:
I agree with @Alum Ladd on blade choice. Nacet + SC = irritation for me. I can only get away with Nacets in a couple of my razors.

With the SC, I’ve had good luck with Lord Platinum, Astra SS, Astra SP, and Personna lab blues.

I also try to go slower, go shallow, and avoid excess buffing (or I’ll buff with a Super Speed if I need extra clean up).

lasta

Blade Biter
I get less irritation with sharper low resistance cutters than "milder" tuggy blades. But blades are YMMV and all that...

I think low irritation comes from a variety of factors, not just what you use.

Pre-shave hydration is my No 1, 4 minutes or more of moisture on face is more important than anything else.

During shave, watch your angle and pressure. The more you use a razor, the more naturally you will find the right tempo.

Make sure you use enough lubricant. Err on the side of overloading your soaps/creams/oils and whatnot.

I get less irritation with sharper low resistance cutters than "milder" tuggy blades. But blades are YMMV and all that...

I think low irritation comes from a variety of factors, not just what you use.

Pre-shave hydration is my No 1, 4 minutes or more of moisture on face is more important than anything else.

During shave, watch your angle and pressure. The more you use a razor, the more naturally you will find the right tempo.

Make sure you use enough lubricant. Err on the side of overloading your soaps/creams/oils and whatnot.
Do you have any suggestions for proper hydration during those 4 minutes? After reading the paper regarding 4 minutes being optimal hydration time, I’ve been experimenting with keeping lather on my face for 4 minutes prior to my shave. However my lather may not be hydrated enough during that time, and it may be just allowing my face to dry out before my shave, as I haven’t noticed any difference since beginning to do this.

lasta

Blade Biter
Do you have any suggestions for proper hydration during those 4 minutes? After reading the paper regarding 4 minutes being optimal hydration time, I’ve been experimenting with keeping lather on my face for 4 minutes prior to my shave. However my lather may not be hydrated enough during that time, and it may be just allowing my face to dry out before my shave, as I haven’t noticed any difference since beginning to do this.
Hi Green,

Shaving immediately after a shower works for most people.

For me, I shower at night, and shave in the morning. So, what I do is thoroughly wash my face, rinse, apply lather (canned foam), go make coffee, come back to the bathroom to bowl lather, wash off the foam, then re-apply lather before shaving.

It will become a daily routine in no time.

At night I shave at 22:00, and in the morning I go to work with the effect of an electric razor on my face. In the morning at 07:00 shaving, then in the evening the same result of hair is felt if you hold your hand against growth. So the BBS is only for a few hours. I don't see the point in looking. Private opinion. Trying to find BBS you only injure the skin.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 52
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    501.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 46
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 56
Try cold water, it doesent cost anything to try
For me cold water wirks best, hot water drys my skin and it prone to iritation and cuts, I never shave afer shower. I shave as soos as I wake up, and shower in afternoon.
Also you vould consider to map your beard, maybe hair in tose areas grows in different direction and instead of going WTG you are actualy going XTD or ATG and you iritate skin like that. For me bottom right side of neck was problem, i was going XTG instead of WTG, while left side was "normal" direction

One more thing, daily shaving works best for me.

Bull frogging, lol! It took me a few seconds to figure out what that meant. I shave only after a warm shower and every other day. I'll think I'll try bull frogging today. Thanks.
Be careful! Whether you shave steep or shallow, you need to make sure the safety bar is pushing skin ahead of the blade, it's easy to have it bunch up with your skin loosened. I would find the easiest spot first and make a short test swipe to figure out the angle that work before tearing straight across from your ear to your chin!

Be careful! Whether you shave steep or shallow, you need to make sure the safety bar is pushing skin ahead of the blade, it's easy to have it bunch up with your skin loosened. I would find the easiest spot first and make a short test swipe to figure out the angle that work before tearing straight across from your ear to your chin!
Tried it a little while ago. I think I'll get the hang of it with practice.

Top Bottom