What's new

Show Us Your Hoard Stones

I am just curious. Did you shave with this edge, if yes, how was it?
I have two Hart Razors that have given me allot of challenges, but also some grate edges when they got sorted out.
Unfortunately that wasn't my razor, probably the original owner's. That Nakayama puts a great edge on my razors though.

Reactions: JPO
Ah gotcha, ta.

---

This a very hard 3.5 (I'd probably call it 4 myself), and I believe a hoard stone, it definitely came from AG whichever way.

View attachment 1483023

View attachment 1483025

View attachment 1483024

View attachment 1483027

As people perhaps know - I’m generally not a massive fan of Japanese stones for sharpening purposes, but this is an exception. It’s one of the few, perhaps only, jnat I’ve used that I would say is properly fast for its ‘grit’ level. This is way higher than I would normally take a normal kitchen knife, yet the edge retains a remarkable amount of bite and aggression for something so fine. Very, very good stone.

Never actually tried on a razor, perhaps I should...
This doesn't look like his numbering and marking system. Every stone from Alex I've seen has a number written with some white out on the stone.

@Steve56 I don't know if my Nakayama Kiita is a hoard stone. And I can't remember if I purchased it from you or Jeremy or Heespharm years ago. But all I know is that I absolutely love it.

View attachment 1482977

View attachment 1482978
View attachment 1482979
This looks to be a more modern stone. Those saw marks are from machine cutting. Some of the confirmed hoard stones here show excellent examples of the hand sawn marks on the sides of the stone versus the contemporary sawing machine marks seen here. Just my 2 cents

No doubt! Alex sells stones that aren’t hoard stones too. Cheers

Ah gotcha. He has five or six Nakayama from Alex I think, some were hoard stones, some not. Couldn’t remember if that one was, but sounds like not if they were numbered in a specific way.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
This doesn't look like his numbering and marking system. Every stone from Alex I've seen has a number written with some white out on the stone.

The ones that he sold on the website were marked with a number on whiteout, but if you visit him, you can buy stones that he has not marked in that way.

00B05869-9895-4349-8A3F-FF39F5336B07.jpeg
B0884A0C-8D52-4EE8-899E-F038F9FD97DF.jpeg
521757F2-6262-4D9E-9E9D-9BBBA4835260.jpeg

The main indicator is the hand sawn sides....I live near him and spend quite a bit of time there lol

FWIW I haven't seen many that weren't labelled with whiteout - even when just grabbing stuff off those blue shelves. At least half of mine were picked up and purchased directly from Alex and they all had the markings as I described.

Ah gotcha. He has five or six Nakayama from Alex I think, some were hoard stones, some not. Couldn’t remember if that one was, but sounds like not if they were numbered in a specific way.
The saw marks are the best indication for hoard vs non.

Let me know if you'd like photos to compare. This is not unique to Alex's stones but older jnats in general

You are a lucky man!

I have some with hand sawn sides that aren’t Alex’s stones. They aren’t uncommon.
Yeah I’m not doing a great job of explaining my point apparently lol

Hoard stones have hand sawn sides because they are older stones. Any stone that is older will have hand sawn sides.

Not all hand sawn stones are hoard stones. This is absolutely true.

This looks to be a more modern stone. Those saw marks are from machine cutting. Some of the confirmed hoard stones here show excellent examples of the hand sawn marks on the sides of the stone versus the contemporary sawing machine marks seen here. Just my 2 cents
More "modern?" What period... Jomon Period? Yayoi Period? Kamakura Period?

I mean, it's a stone. And modern is a rather relative term when discussing geology is it not?

More "modern?" What period... Jomon Period? Yayoi Period? Kamakura Period?

I mean, it's a stone. And modern is a rather relative term when discussing geology is it not?
More modern in human history, not geologically speaking. Hand sawing these stones was done for hundreds of years up until around the 1920’s. At that point circular saw type cutters were introduced, and they are still in use today. Hand saw marks are long, thin horizontal grooves. Circular saw marks are diagonal.

Handsaw:
94049A1D-74ED-43D4-9D82-CB25436DE933.jpeg

Circular saw:
C1697F53-5924-4C10-90BB-688E46FD8474.jpeg

Top Bottom