What's new

So with the SC overturning the NY concealed carry requirements

I've carried for years, and a couple 3 years ago I got legal and got the permit the only time I do not carry is when I an on the way to the job, since jails have metal detectors and such

~snip~

To say that I don’t feel the need to carry a gun here does not make me soft on guns or naive. I know my community, I know what to do and not do and where to go and not go. Is it possible that something bad could happen that would make lethal self defense necessary? Sure. Is it so likely that the bother and negative side effects of gun carry are reasonable? No.

Several people at my CPL certification class left without completing the training. After listening to potential outcomes of a justified use of deadly force, they decided it wasn't worth it. It's a personal and serious decision, for sure.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Thank you, Toothpick, for fixing my post.

I had no special reason for posting today. I was bored, I cruised through the forum and noticed an OP I thought was interesting.

To some degree this forum reminds me of the Badger and Blade wet shaving forum I frequent There is an orthodoxy that one must adhere to or risk being ostracized. In the shaving world there is a dominant clique that spends thousands of dollars on very expensive shaving products who are intolerant of anyone who espouses a more modest approach to a simple hygienic function. Some folks here in the gun forum seem to be somewhat intolerant of anyone who doesn’t endorse daily concealed carry. Even though I am a zealous 2d Am advocate who has provided legal representation to numerous gun owners in courts and before administrative agencies my bona fides on the subject are questioned. Why?

Politics is the science of addition, not subtraction. To advance the cause of liberty in this country we need to embrace those who agree with us, even if their position is not identical to our own. Especially if it is not identical to our own.

Good post dude. However, while I can completely understand your point of view; and sympathize with you on not wanting to be ostracized for taking a different approach then most of the others that are represented in that forum.

But sir, could I might sincerely and respectfully suggest; that there is a big difference coming into a forum and speaking on your opinions of the what’s and why’s for your differences and coming into a forum and questioning the majority of why they do what they do? And then say why you don’t?

Surely, you can see the big difference between these two totally different approaches?

You also did this very same thing in the shaving equipment thread those many years ago, where instead of just simply posting why you prefer cheaper shaving gear versus more expensive gear, you also made very suggestive and insulting comments of your opinions of those who do use expensive shave gear?

By your posts here, it’s obviously very clear to me, you are a very intelligent and articulate person. Surely, coming in here and hinting with passive/ aggressive suggestions of why does everyone else here carry? Is their neighborhood’s that bad? Are they that fearful?

Surely you can’t expect to come into a thread where you know the majority of those in there, are CCW carriers? And you are going to offend them?

Am I wrong sir, in suspecting bad intentions when you have done this exact same thing before in another thread in the shaving forum? Is it just a coincidence that you signed up for B&B in 2015 and other then this thread now, you’ve only had one other single post in the firearms forum back in 2020? Adding in the fact that you said you’re only reason for being here now, is because ‘you got really bored?’

If you are coming here sir, because you are truly a 2nd Amendment supporter and pro gun? How about starting off with some intentioned good will and positive camaraderie?

Coming in with passive comments and questions that you know are adversarial to the majority in there? I certainly want you to feel welcome here, but as I stated, you seem very intelligent and articulate? If you become a pariah poster, it’s not by accident sir, or because of our rude and unwelcoming dispositions?

When I was young, my father; (God rest his soul). Used to tell me; “son, how do you know when you have a problem? He would ask me I would respond, “ I don’t know Pop, how?”

He would say, “because you will see a problem, with everyone else.” :)

OkieStubble

You are not the first to point out the acerbic style of my writing. I will bear your critique in mind.

You give me too much credit to ascribe an agenda to my posts. I express my opinions, that is all. If I might be more effective by moderating my expression to some degree, as you suggest, I shall.
Couldn’t hoight…. ;). (in my best Groucho Marx accent)

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I truly apologize if I came off that way. That wasn’t my intent nor is it the way I feel. If you feel that your situation is one that you don’t need to carry daily that’s great, I wish I could feel the same way. My past experiences, however, have made me somewhat paranoid/skeptical of others. According to my wife I think that all people are basically bad and that only the “constraints of society” keep everyone from attacking each other. I laugh when she says that but sometimes wonder if she’s correct.
Tell your wife that you are right my friend. All people ARE basically bad.

Actually, the proper werd is "evil", but bad will do.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Tell your wife that you are right my friend. All people ARE basically bad.

Actually, the proper werd is "evil", but bad will do.

I had a fairly lengthy post expressing a similar sentiment, but decided not to get that deep into it. We think that we are good because we have the luxury of society and technology and accommodations, but when we are stripped to our core, we can be ruthless animals trying to survive by any means necessary.

A very interesting and thought-provoking thread as always on this sub-forum Gentlemen.

I always contribute by my reactions, but sadly living in the UK, with its deeply 'enlightened' laws on gun ownership, I feel like the eunuch in a brothel, so my rare comments are purely vicarious.

However I do try to keep up with the current gun legislation and trends in the United States, and this is an excellent source of information as to current trends.

I watch Mr Paul Harrell's videos on YT, and I recall a very interesting video he issued on the subject of the dangers (in some districts) of exercising the right of self-defence by CC permit holders in the face of some hostile DA's. He appeared to have personal experience from his narrative, and it was somewhat concerning.

Thank you Gents, for an informative, thoughtful and amusing thread, as always.

I do not live in a community where the need for instantaneous lethal defensive fire is realistic
I would love to know where this is..... I have lived in some of the safest middle to upper middle class neighborhoods all my life, but never any place where no one gets robbed or assaulted with some regularity. Bad guys and nut cases can go anywhere they want. You can't keep them out of any supersafe neighborhood. No location is without violent crime. Believing it is won't keep you safe., but to each his own I guess.

FWIW - I teach the NRA Personal Protection in the Home program (certified instructor) and I can tell you the students who take this course are not from crime ridden inner city projects, they are usually quite affluent and some live in gated communities.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I have a concealed carry permit and am strongly pro-gun, HOWEVER, I wonder where or in what environment some of these cc fellows live to require instantaneous defensive gunfire? If I lived there, I would move somewhere else.
I have carried a gun for years. I have never had to draw it and I hope I never do. I do not put myself in those situations. What I can't prevent is the nut job who walks into Walmart shooting. That is why I carry a gun.

Having been involved in public safety for the last three decades (ambulance, engine company, tactical medic) I usually CCW when out in public areas with my bride. I have seen enough incidents that happened outside of the normal dangerous neighborhoods or areas that I kind of feel an obligation to be armed just in case. I would hate to find myself in a situation where I could affect the situation with my training and a firearm and did not have one.

I was a young man many decades ago. My friend was enjoying an early spring evening in the park a block or two from his home where he had lived for more than 20 years. The kind of evening with warm temperatures, the late afternoon sun creating beautiful shadows. A warm evening breeze with the promise of more warmth and summer just around the corner. Sitting on the bench chatting with another neighbor.

Chad's glasses were knocked from his face by complete surprise. His cheek felt wet. He put his hands out stretched to fend off the attack. Hands sliced open he wondered why his heart was racing and he had difficulty breathing? How is it I am slumped to the ground choking, what am I choking on? Why am I choking? My neighbor is shaking, a stranger is holding my head. What is happening? Why is everything gray? His final thoughts known only to himself.

My friend was brutally attacked without mercy, slashed face and hands, stabbed in the lung and heart. The attack last a few seconds. He died within a minute. That is how fast and violent attacks are. Evil men who care nothing about the lifeless thing they just attacked.

The attack happened in a nice and safe neighborhood. People are wicked by nature. Some are truly evil with great propensity for violence. My friend lost his life that evening. I held his brother, a preacher in my arms a few days later as the man wept uncontrollably. I cried too.

Only the name of my friend is changed out of respect for his family.

Awareness is vitally important. Having the means to defend oneself is vitally important. A firearm may not have prevented injury but likely would have changed the outcome. No one can predict where evil and violence will strike. But we can prepare to protect ourselves and our loved ones. It is choice to exercise a natural right of defense of self.

I have carried a gun for years. I have never had to draw it and I hope I never do. I do not put myself in those situations. What I can't prevent is the nut job who walks into Walmart shooting. That is why I carry a gun.

Having been involved in public safety for the last three decades (ambulance, engine company, tactical medic) I usually CCW when out in public areas with my bride. I have seen enough incidents that happened outside of the normal dangerous neighborhoods or areas that I kind of feel an obligation to be armed just in case. I would hate to find myself in a situation where I could affect the situation with my training and a firearm and did not have one.

I'm no hero. I always tell my wife that I will only ever pull my pistol if there is no other means of escape from mortal danger.

I hear guys say "I am a shepherd and need to protect the sheep from the wolves".

Not me.

My nightmare scenario would be running towards gunfire and happening upon a scene with two gunmen, misreading the situation, and shooting the good guy with a gun.

If I'm at mall/store and hear gunfire my primary objective will be to get my wife safely to the nearest exit. I'll only act if I actually SEE the active shooter very near or am directly threatened or impeded by the shooter.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I'm no hero. I always tell my wife that I will only ever pull my pistol if there is no other means of escape from mortal danger.

I hear guys say "I am a shepherd and need to protect the sheep from the wolves".

Not me.

My nightmare scenario would be running towards gunfire and happening upon a scene with two gunmen, misreading the situation, and shooting the good guy with a gun.

If I'm at mall/store and hear gunfire my primary objective will be to get my wife safely to the nearest exit. I'll only act if I actually SEE the active shooter very near or am directly threatened or impeded by the shooter.

That is my plan as well. If I can run, I’ll run.

OkieStubble

A very interesting and thought-provoking thread as always on this sub-forum Gentlemen.

I always contribute by my reactions, but sadly living in the UK, with its deeply 'enlightened' laws on gun ownership, I feel like the eunuch in a brothel, so my rare comments are purely vicarious.

However I do try to keep up with the current gun legislation and trends in the United States, and this is an excellent source of information as to current trends.

I watch Mr Paul Harrell's videos on YT, and I recall a very interesting video he issued on the subject of the dangers (in some districts) of exercising the right of self-defence by CC permit holders in the face of some hostile DA's. He appeared to have personal experience from his narrative, and it was somewhat concerning.

Thank you Gents, for an informative, thoughtful and amusing thread, as always.

Great post @Alum Ladd Regardless of the rules on gun ownership in the UK, your gentlemanly presence, well thought out opinions and insightful perspectives are and will always be welcomed and encouraged here sir.

Your involvement is always considered a great addition and never a subtraction. ;)

Last edited:
I do not live in a community where the need for instantaneous lethal defensive fire is realistic, one incident in 64 years notwithstanding. If I did, I would leave.
I'm 50. I've been shot at 3 times, all 3 while wearing a bright white shirt with a star of life on it. I worked a year at a max correctional facility(long enough to know I definitely wouldn't want to stay), and have worked outpatient and inpatient secured units with people having a variety of mental and emotional imbalances.

I would not say I'm paranoid. I would say I've had hundreds of thousands of interactions with people having explosive anger "issues" and minimal consequential reasoning, who are highly transient.

I have moved. My circumstances do not change.

Regards.

OkieStubble

I'm 50. I've been shot at 3 times, all 3 while wearing a bright white shirt with a star of life on it. I worked a year at a max correctional facility(long enough to know I definitely wouldn't want to stay), and have worked outpatient and inpatient secured units with people having a variety of mental and emotional imbalances.

I would not say I'm paranoid. I would say I've had hundreds of thousands of interactions with people having explosive anger "issues" and minimal consequential reasoning, who are highly transient.

I have moved. My circumstances do not change.

Regards.

I don’t have to be in the risk of having a car wreck any certain day, in order to consistently wear my seatbelt when I’m out and about in my vehicle.

I don’t have to think, my house might catch on fire soon, in order to have had a fire insurance policy on it for sound peace of mind the last 30 years.

And I don’t have to think I will be violently accosted today, in order to consistently carry a pistol. Even for the rare probability.

It’s the same reason, I keep and store beans, blankets, bullets and band-aids in my home. Ever get a unexpected cut on your finger and can’t find a damn band-aid anywhere? Krikey! How much of a helpless and frustrating feeling is that? :)

All these are just a way of life. It’s not something I do; it’s just a lifestyle choice I freely choose to live.

The philosophy of my lifestyle choice can be clearly seen in all of the above.

‘Hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst.’

It’s not what I do, it’s who I am. :)

Not me.

I am no hero, but feel the experiences I have had coupled with the training I have been fortunate to receive places a certain obligation on me.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Yeah, I’m a bit different. My philosophy in life has always been,

“run up…. get done up.” :)

It’s a little sad that local laws really deter people from wanting to help. Heck I’m not allowed to shoot an armed intruder in my house at 2:30am. I have to retreat from the danger. I can imagine what the court would do to me if I shot a mass shooter in the back. “Kento’s you were not in any danger from the shooter, why didn’t you just run instead of using deadly force?”

Top Bottom