What's new

We only get so many shaves in our lives so my question is...

I wish my beard grew quickly enough to shave every day. It sounds strange, but if my stubble isn't long enough I can't get a good close shave. Also my skin gets angry if I shave too often.
No, that I get completely. One can overdo it.

Judging by his father, he has to be. But I was thinking if we all willed our left over shave gear to him instead of burdening our own offspring, it would reduce worry to our families and be kind of funny.
Plus, my kids will only shave with electrics. They think their old man is insane even though I don't use a straight (in which case they might have a point...).

I feel this way too!!! I do shave twice a day most days. Once in the morning on the good old face. I shave my head in the afternoon. I enjoy shaving and look forward to it everyday.

Some of us are under forced water conservation protocals. I'd be going through far too many gallons of water, if I were to shave everyday. And I would go through my consumable shaving products far too quickly as well. I set an allotted budget each month on buying shaving supplies, but I'm not rich, so I got to use the supplies wisely.

Would I like to shave every day? You bet! But in my situation, its not gonna happen. Guess what? I'm on city water, and you know what that means, it means that I have to pay money for that water, I am not on a free use yard well. And guess what our cities water utility company decided to do, raise our rates again. You know what the bill went up to? 200 bucks!

So ya, thats my reality. Use too much water, cost goes up further! Got a water leak? Cost goes up exponentially. This is my life, but I am used to it. And where people are just recently being forced to conserve water due to the drought and rivers drying up this last summer, I have been practicing water conversation, short showers, and extending clothes washing intervals for years now.

I literally use less water then most people do. But people are starting to understand what I do, due to the fact that there is no water left practically in this country. There are places in the US, where the land has no drinking water, and they are forced to drink bottled water. We are in a real reality here. Nobody can afford to just waste water like it means nothing.

So if you can manage daily shaving, without having a 400 dollar water bill, go right ahead, have fun! But for those of us around here, not gonna happen.

That sucks.

I used to pay around $250 quarterly, but we've moved and are now on a well. Besides that, I am surrounded by the largest fresh water supply on the planet - the Great Lakes - so "water shortages" are foreign to me.

On topic:

When I get to the point that I'm troubled by the amount of shaving hardware I own, I will probably give a lot away, either to family or PIF.

You know, the Egyptian Pharaohs had it pretty well right - build a really big place for the afterlife and bring all your crap with you. Of course, many of the people still living who were forced to join them probably had different ideas about it all.

How on earth do some of you only shave a couple times a week??? If I could, I'd shave twice a day! As it is, other than backcountry camping when I was younger, I have shaved nearly everyday for 50+ years. And it still ain't enough. I mean look at all the crap I still have!!

;)
You never shaved while backcountry camping??!

Shocking revelations there.

One really must try to shave at least once every 48hrs, even in camp environments or group morale plummets.

Here is my camp shaving setup
IMG_20220407_174817736.jpg

Razor: English 50's Gillette Tech with aluminium handle.
Brush: Synthetic Chinese no brand. Not enjoyable but works.
Blade Box: Sliding cover aluminium box, available on a certain site, fits 5 or 10 blade packs.
Mirror: Steel survival mirror.
Soap: Arko! stick.

And here it is in action
IMG_20220429_165257839.jpg

On this trip I used Palmolive Classic in a small plastic container.

The canteen cup after boiling on a pocket stove gives you a pint of hot water, enough to wet a flannel and thoroughly hydrate the face, and commence the shave.

I try to shave at least once every 48hrs, so, I'm 61, born Sept, started shaving in 1975, say June, so you can do the maths as to how many shaves I have had.

Please do, because I can't!

One really must try to shave at least once every 48hrs, even in camp environments or group morale plummets.

View attachment 1542264

Blade Box: Sliding cover aluminium box, available on a certain site, fits 5 or 10 blade packs.

And here it is in action
View attachment 1542265

The canteen cup after boiling on a pocket stove gives you a pint of hot water, enough to wet a flannel and thoroughly hydrate the face, and commence the shave.

I try to shave at least once every 48hrs, so, I'm 61, born Sept, started shaving in 1975, say June, so you can do the maths as to how many shaves I have had.

Bravo for your fortitude, very British, but no, I didn't shave out in the wilderness. Backpacking gear was a lot heavier in the 60's and 70's. Besides, carrying the weed and bong took up all that spare room I might have otherwise had...

One more thing, if I had needed to shave, I always had a very, very sharp knife. In those days, it was a Buck 119 IIRC (still have it, still sharp but I don't think it ever went anywhere near my face...).

lasta

Blade Biter

View attachment 1542264

And here it is in action
View attachment 1542265

That must have been a very relaxing shave...for you!

Where I used to camp, there are Grizzlies yet no guns. One close encounter in the past has turned me off from continuing daily rituals while in the wild. Noawadays (well if I go back there again) wilds=no shave, no shower haha.

One more thing, if I had needed to shave, I always had a very, very sharp knife. In those days, it was a Buck 119 IIRC (still have it, still sharp but I don't think it ever went anywhere near my face...).
The thing holding up my mirror in pic 2 is a Finnish Puukko 140, actually the last stainless steel example they ever had in stock.

Like a Mora knife on steroids. Carries a wicked sharp edge and built like a tank. I love it.

Last edited:
Reactions: CCS
Like @Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker said, being on municipal water is not cheap by any means.

One is not only paying for what is coming out of the tap, one is also paying for what is going down the drain. Cost of treating grey water.

Yeah, I'm mindful of the water I use.

I'm not wasteful, just don't have to worry about municipal water restrictions, though we are on a public sewer system and pay a flat quarterly fee for waste treatment.

Like @Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker said, being on municipal water is not cheap by any means.

One is not only paying for what is coming out of the tap, one is also paying for what is going down the drain. Cost of treating grey water.

Yeah, I'm mindful of the water I use.
Indeed. I also have a septic tank. We just get it pumped a little sooner than recommended and all good. So far...

The thing holding up my mirror in pic 2 is a Finnish Puukko 140, actually the last stainless steel example they ever had in stock.

Like a Mora knife on steroids. Carries a wicked sharp edge and built like a tank. I love it.
I've acquired a fair number of knives since the old days. I have a couple Moras and they're outstanding but the main fixed blade knives I used for the last 10-15 years are the Swedish Fallkniven F1 pilot survival knives. Don't know if they're still in military service but they are very good knives for basic camp tasks. Living in the American West, I get to carry concealed firearms and all sorts of knives. These are necessary items on my weekly trip to town to go to Costco...

Geez, I hate getting older. The only time I use them now is when the wife and I go on a picnic... Not the guns, of course. ;)

Shaving is a chore that need not bore. Signature of @RenoRichard - and for me spot on.

I enjoy the daily shave, enjoy my razors and soaps and brushes. My acquisition disorder is kept in check by my better half. Her look and decisiveness are more powerful than GRUME that’s for sure.

Guido
Mine is kept in check by space available. To get much more, I'd have to get rid of stuff and that ain't friggin' likely. To put the last two incoming razors (Muhle Rocca R95 and R41) on the shelf, I'm going to have to remove two razors from it. Fortunately, I have a closet shelf in the library with, shall we say, some overflow parking available and a couple safety razors don't take up much room. ;)

Mine is kept in check by space available. To get much more, I'd have to get rid of stuff and that ain't friggin' likely. To put the last two incoming razors (Muhle Rocca R95 and R41) on the shelf, I'm going to have to remove two razors from it. Fortunately, I have a closet shelf in the library with, shall we say, some overflow parking available and a couple safety razors don't take up much room. ;)
+1 and this Sunday she took me to the bathroom and she did a comparison of her space and mine. I won, but it didn’t feel that way! She planted a subliminal message for sure!

Guido

How on earth do some of you only shave a couple times a week??? If I could, I'd shave twice a day! As it is, other than backcountry camping when I was younger, I have shaved nearly everyday for 50+ years. And it still ain't enough. I mean look at all the crap I still have!!

;)

Great analysis!! :a29::a29::a29:

Wish I could shave twice a day!!

Top Bottom