What's new

We only get so many shaves in our lives so my question is...

How on earth do some of you only shave a couple times a week??? If I could, I'd shave twice a day! As it is, other than backcountry camping when I was younger, I have shaved nearly everyday for 50+ years. And it still ain't enough. I mean look at all the crap I still have!!

;)
Well, comming from both sides of the story I'd might answer :)

Prequels (2004 - 2010)
I kinda hated shaving, been using available razors (class of Lords or supermarket variants of Gillette Tech with black plastic handle), ocassional disposables, mixed various can-foams and tube-creams, used with boar brush. Very low budget indeed, always in horrible burn, weepers here and there, but almost none bloodless-shave as if I remember. Never shaved daily, waited to have a decent growth so I have more whiskers to be soaked with lather, but no use. Each shave ended with blood, iritation and... what to say, just didn't work.

Transition era (2010-2020)
Started using denser-knotted boar brushes, and had couple of them only, for nearly a decade so they have been marvelously broken. Settled on couple (still budget) creams that I've found irritate me least (Nivea Blue, Palmolive Green) and started playing with Arko stick. Had some tryouts with shavettes (paired with Arko really boosted my skills and confidence) but in razor terms - Wilkinson Classic helped to shave daily while in army. Had some issues, but also started to pay attention to angles and aftershave care (Nivea and Dove face creams) which soothed my skin better than any AS or AS-balm. Note: for some reason, alcohol based AS cured my "next shave nicks" as providing better healing and disinfection of the skin. Could say that shaves were in overall bloodless, but always with irritated skin.

Best times of my shaves (2020 - ...)
When I become father I made decision to be full-time presentable and due to some other convenient occurences (financial) and less convenient (covid-era) I searched for shave tools outside of my country borders. Long live online shopping :D Jokes aside, I went with afordable yet quality razors (R89, R41, Rocca), got myself Semogue boar and RR synthetic brushes, couple of fancy creams/soaps (Stirling, Cella, LPL) and must say - it helped. Not just helped, but made me to realize that with good technique and poor tool - you can get away with it, but not be 100% satisfied with result... and that with poor tools and poor technique you'd hate your guts while shaving. Now, I'm a daily shaver and I love every single bit of it.

So, perhaps there's bit of truth in both - why someone might love or hate shaving. Depending on how and what you use. Perhaps someone might be wrong without realization, perhaps still working out his technique or just not fancy clean-look at all. I'd fully support any efforts in reaching out to community as B&B for info, experience sharing, reviews and then settle on what works for you. Now I could easily ask the same quoted question, but just happened to revive my horrible beginnings so I'll keep quiet now :)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
That sucks.

I used to pay around $250 quarterly, but we've moved and are now on a well. Besides that, I am surrounded by the largest fresh water supply on the planet - the Great Lakes - so "water shortages" are foreign to me.
Yes, I can't even have a basement in mid Michigan. Digging a fence post hits water at about 2 feet. I love my well and septic system, that and burning wood for heat has allowed me to save enough money to buy shave gear, lol.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I’ve been informed via reaction that my idea was not considerate. Someone else will receive a box of brushes that look like IKEA-style taxidermy instead

Yes, I can't even have a basement in mid Michigan. Digging a fence post hits water at about 2 feet. I love my well and septic system, that and burning wood for heat has allowed me to save enough money to buy shave gear, lol.

I know. I've got TWO sump pumps pushing excess water out of my crawl space, so yeah, we have an abundance.

...and I'm ready also: two face cords of wood, and just split a bunch for kindling. My old lower back is mad at me.

He won't act like it when he's forced to choose between arson or an estate sale!

My wife has been after me for years.....my plan is to die before her: that'll teach her!
My plan too. I'm already too lazy and the idea of cleaning all this out is, well, let her do it!

I'm a Michigan native with family going back to the first half of the 1800's. Except for the politics, I could see living in the UP or around Charlevoix. So different than the dry American West. Of course, had we stayed in Michigan, I'd want to move here to get away from all the rain and snow...

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I know that the PIF is a thing on this site but I neither want nor will I likely give here when there are local thrift shops that can use the donation and proceeds from their sale of donated items.

Not the case here in Ontario Canada. All the second hand stores, Goodwill and Salvation Army have become very particular about used razors, and used goods in general really. I looked in to it a few years ago and visited all the second hand shops here in London, as well as the ones I've found out of town.

I went looking around the Goodwill and Salvation Army stores when I first joined this forum thinking it might be a good place to find some old razors. I found none but was directed to the main Goodwill store downtown. I found none there either, but I did find the manager.

That manager told me they do get some old razors donated, but unless they're brand new and cased they cant put them out for display. I asked what they did with the donated ones they cant display and he told me they went into a 5g pail and when full were sent to the head office and sold as scrap. He went on to tell me that they dont want the liability and because of that they cant display or sell any that arent cased and as new so to be sold as a collectors item.

I then found a small second hand store in town and went in to talk to that owner. He said he had a few come and go but mostly straight razors. He went on to say that he no longer wants to risk any liability stemming from a used razor and wont stock them anymore. I left my name and phone number with him and asked him to call if he came across any, but he hasnt called in three years.

The only place I have found any, is at a small second hand shop 20 minutes outside of the city. His prices have doubled since I bought 4 on my first trip lol.

IMG_2637.JPG

PiF's here on B&B have always been very popular. Especially when geared towards new members that are just starting out and eager to learn and understand the differences among different things.

Not the case here in Ontario Canada. All the second hand stores, Goodwill and Salvation Army have become very particular about used razors, and used goods in general really. I looked in to it a few years ago and visited all the second hand shops here in London, as well as the ones I've found out of town.

PiF's here on B&B have always been very popular. Especially when geared towards new members that are just starting out and eager to learn and understand the differences among different things.
That's great for you. I don't live in a major city. We have different ways of doing things here. I understand it's a tradition that some do here but I see such a turnover in membership I wonder about the reciprocation of them. PIF away, my friend but I wouldn't accept one and I won't likely offer one when local choices abound. But, like I said, I think it's cool that it's a thing on B&B.

I shave 2-3 times a week, or every 72 hours or so. Why? I found that shaving every day gave me irritation and I like to give my face a break. Especially with straights, as I find they like a bit of whiskered growth on the first pass.

My beard is pretty thick and grows out quickly. But times being what they are, a couple days' of beard growth isn't always frowned upon like it was, say, in the 1950s.

I shave 2-3 times a week, or every 72 hours or so. Why? I found that shaving every day gave me irritation and I like to give my face a break. Especially with straights, as I find they like a bit of whiskered growth on the first pass.

My beard is pretty thick and grows out quickly. But times being what they are, a couple days' of beard growth isn't always frowned upon like it was, say, in the 1950s.
I suppose if I could get that cool 2-3 days growth look that so many younger men cultivate, I might feel different. Instead, I look like a grizzled old man coming off a drunk...

Daily shave for me since forever!
After shaving, you can see my beard growing out after about 8 hours. So I don't have a choice.
And I'm happy about that!
It would stink to have to wait a couple of days for a shave. I guess the ones that don't shave daily is because they don't require it:
(Like the guys doing YouTube shaving videos)🤣
They shave (10 times a day) just to demo the razors and soaps without any hair on their faces in order to get add revenue. I find it ridiculous!

I shave every other day, I shave in the evenings before bed, and I like to take my time and enjoy it, rather than feeling rushed to shave before work. I would not be able to spend so much time every day.

I enjoy a really close shave, which leaves my skin smooth in all directions for 12hrs or more, so that my face still feels smooth the next morning. Last night I had a particularly wonderful shave with my WR2 1.55 and most of my face and neck still felt smooth mid-afternoon, 15 or more hours later. I don’t think it would suit a daily shaving regimen to shave that close each time - I would probably have to do shorter shaves with less attention to detail and less efficient razors, and that’s not really what I enjoy.

I think I get more pleasure from my shaves when there is more to cut - the completely smooth-feeling skin is more satisfying to me when it was entirely rough before the shave. And cutting through longer stubble feels more satisfying to me.

And I think I get smoother shaves when my stubble is longer (maybe the longer hair absorbs water and softens better, I don’t know, but it seems that way). I suppose having a day off between shaves must help my skin condition too.

My facial hair is not dark and it doesn’t show if I haven’t shaved that day, so I don’t need to shave daily. And I suspect that if I did shave daily it would start to become a chore rather than something I look forward to.

So there are quite a few reasons why shaving every other day suits me best and makes it more of a pleasure for me. Of course if I wish to shave in-between there is nothing stopping me.

I'm a Michigan native with family going back to the first half of the 1800's. Except for the politics, I could see living in the UP or around Charlevoix. So different than the dry American West. Of course, had we stayed in Michigan, I'd want to move here to get away from all the rain and snow...

I thought about leaving the Mitten for a warmer climate, but really the only season I dislike is the 5-month winter.

We're in mid Michigan and the biggest worry is whether the deer ate our mums over night. It's pretty conservative in my neighborhood. I love it.

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
How on earth do some of you only shave a couple times a week??? If I could, I'd shave twice a day! As it is, other than backcountry camping when I was younger, I have shaved nearly everyday for 50+ years. And it still ain't enough. I mean look at all the crap I still have!!

;)
I do enjoy shaving much more since I've recently started doing 'quality' wet shaving, however...
Some of us less fortunates have patchy, wimpy beards that don't grow back fast enough & thick enough to justify daily shaving. On top of that, I'm retired and no longer trying to impress anybody with my beautiful face (hope my wife didn't hear that). If I tried to shave daily, my face would probably get raw.

B&B community has opened up a whole world of the luxury shaving experience to me and I feel like a kid in a candy store with all the shaving products I've been turned on to the last few months. I've come to the conclusion that I would have to live to 900 years old to use up all the stuff I've already purchased, so it doesn't make sense for me to keep buying stuff. Will good sense overcome my buying compulsion? Probably not, so I guess my two sons will get stuck with the stuff when I die. 😀 (You're welcome guys!) ... But I digress...

Last edited:
Daily shave for me since forever!
After shaving, you can see my beard growing out after about 8 hours. So I don't have a choice.
And I'm happy about that!
It would stink to have to wait a couple of days for a shave. I guess the ones that don't shave daily is because they don't require it:
(Like the guys doing YouTube shaving videos)🤣
They shave (10 times a day) just to demo the razors and soaps without any hair on their faces in order to get add revenue. I find it ridiculous!
Live I've posted, my beard is not heavy, more medium-mild but it is full. And now, as I'm older, it's grizzly so even though I'm alone half the week, I can't bear seeing or feeling it. Plus, sad to say, on some days, it's the most fun I have (getting to play with my toys). :D

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
Live I've posted, my beard is not heavy, more medium-mild but it is full. And now, as I'm older, it's grizzly so even though I'm alone half the week, I can't bear seeing or feeling it. Plus, sad to say, on some days, it's the most fun I have (getting to play with my toys). :D

wow, shaving for fun? You need to buy some power tools, guns or motorcycles to get some danger & excitement in your life! 🤪

;)
I'm with you on this one and have shaved every day for the last half a decade. For me, purgatory would be to grow a beard!

Top Bottom