What's new

For Gillette Platinum lovers: What other blades feel the same or similar?

Personally speaking, Simon, I don't "get" this different blades for different razors stuff.

If I really like a blade, it's great in ANY razor. If I find a blade to be "average," it's average in ANY razor.
I guess it's all YMMV like always. I've found different blades work (and not work) with certain razors. i.e., a super sharp blade feels different in a mild razor vs. an agressive razor and/or will feel different in a different mild or agressive razor. That's been my experience anyways!
But I will agree though that certain blades will work on any razor. The Gillette Platinum is one for me that fits that profile.

I would say Nacet and Personna Platinum Chrome (I only know Israeli Reds) are my 2 replacements for a GP. Can’t go wrong with any of the 3.

I find all 3 smooth. In order of sharpness (subjectively):

Nacet
Personna PC’s
Gillette Platinum

For myself they all outperform BIC Chromes in smoothness and comfort.
Very subjective but I think you would find the Personna really a great blade.

I've used Nacet's and the Personna's and haven't liked them.
But I tried Perma Sharp's & Bic Astor Stainless and they were both fantastic. They were both equal!
Apparently I'm seeing that my face likes stainless better than anything coated. I end up with a smooth face with no irritation. Maybe my skin reacts more to the coating in coated blades. I love the GP' and have been my #1 blades but the pure stainless blades are giving me a better end result.

Lately I've been on a blade trying frenzy. I've tried quite a few throughout my journey but still have a bunch that I haven't tried. They've been sitting in a drawer! I've also recently ordered more different ones to try. Out of everything I've ever tried, my 3 favorites are:
1. Gillette Platinum (Excellent in every razor but especially good in aggressive razors. A sharp enough blade with incredible smoothness)
2. Wilkinson Sword (Excellent in mid-aggressive razors. Sharper than the GP but still smooth)
3. Bic Chrome Platinum (Excellent in milder razors. Sharp(er) than Feather blades after the 2nd. shave and pretty smooth)
So why title the thread specifying Gillette Platinum?
Because if I had to pick just one out of the 3, it would be the GP's!
For performance, comfort, versatility and value, they've been the best for me.
I know I can simply just stick to the GP's but curiosity leads me to experiment with other blades.
For those that love the GP's, what other blades have you tried that have been the same (or almost) the same as the GP's?
LRod
Good to specify which Gillette Platinum you mean. There are two models that shave differently. The dark blue and the light blue Platinum.

I would say Pera-sharp too. How about Astra blades? They never disappoint me.

Unfortunately I can't find a 100 piece Gillette black shipping under 15 usd to my country. Getting them from India is about 30 usd which makes me like the cheap Asta SS or SP more.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I love using my GPs to my face they are so smooth but I always wished they were that bit sharper. I bought and have been using Perma Sharps for the last 5 days. I find them to be a not as sharp as a Nacet but very close but even smoother than GPs. They have knocked my Nacets off they're #1 spot because of their smoothness as well as being sharp. As with everything YMMV.

I hope you find the right blades for you good luck in your search.

I love using my GPs to my face they are so smooth but I always wished they were that bit sharper. I bought and have been using Perma Sharps for the last 5 days. I find them to be a not as sharp as a Nacet but very close but even smoother than GPs. They have knocked my Nacets off they're #1 spot because of their smoothness as well as being sharp. As with everything YMMV.

I hope you find the right blades for you good luck in your search.
I tried Perma Sharp's last week for the first time and I really like them. You're right, they're sharper than the GP's and very smooth.
The Bic Astor stainless (red box) has also been one that I tried and like a lot. I've ordered more of both. Nacet's I don't like as they always feel rough for me. Another one that I'm giving a shot to is Personna Lab blues. I've ordered some to try those out. I'm pretty much at my peak of buying and trying razors so now it's experimenting with different blades (that can possibly beat the GP's).

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Being new to DE shaving, the blades are still a mystery to me. I started with the King C Gillette blades and like them a lot but they're on the expensive side. I have a Gillette 7 O'clock Black (India) blade in my Blutt BR-1 .86 now. I've only used it one time but it was excellent.

I have Permasharps, Gillette Platinum lights, Personna Lab blues in the queue... I think that's it. I just ordered some 3D printed tuck organizer boxes so I won't have a bunch of loose tucks sort of rattling around the bottom of a shoe box. Oh... I have some Kai blades as well. One more... when our son got me into wet shaving with the Lupo Aluminum gift, he gave me 100 Astra Platinum Greens.

I just checked eBay and Amazon... I think those are all the blades I have at the moment... I'll work through them to see which ones stand out for me.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I tried Perma Sharp's last week for the first time and I really like them. You're right, they're sharper than the GP's and very smooth.
The Bic Astor stainless (red box) has also been one that I tried and like a lot. I've ordered more of both. Nacet's I don't like as they always feel rough for me. Another one that I'm giving a shot to is Personna Lab blues. I've ordered some to try those out. I'm pretty much at my peak of buying and trying razors so now it's experimenting with different blades (that can possibly beat the GP's).
Never say never... but I seem to have completed my razor purchases at this point. I have several I haven't tried yet... so I'm hoping to don't feel that "need" to buy another one. So far, every purchase has been a success, thanks to the great people here on B&B who have experimented with so many different razors and give great advice.

I think I've sort of figured out that I like "mild/smooth but efficient razors".... At this point, I don't seem to feel the desire to get one of the more aggressive razors. I'm getting stellar results with the aforementioned styles. There are several people here who like those razors and I've been asking and/or observing what they love.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I have a few black ninjas kicking about. I'll give 1 of them a go and see how it compers. If I remember they were a brilliant blade it was just the cost that put me off them. After all we're all here to safe money 💰.

Lately I've been on a blade trying frenzy. I've tried quite a few throughout my journey but still have a bunch that I haven't tried. They've been sitting in a drawer! I've also recently ordered more different ones to try. Out of everything I've ever tried, my 3 favorites are:
1. Gillette Platinum (Excellent in every razor but especially good in aggressive razors. A sharp enough blade with incredible smoothness)
2. Wilkinson Sword (Excellent in mid-aggressive razors. Sharper than the GP but still smooth)
3. Bic Chrome Platinum (Excellent in milder razors. Sharp(er) than Feather blades after the 2nd. shave and pretty smooth)
So why title the thread specifying Gillette Platinum?
Because if I had to pick just one out of the 3, it would be the GP's!
For performance, comfort, versatility and value, they've been the best for me.
I know I can simply just stick to the GP's but curiosity leads me to experiment with other blades.
For those that love the GP's, what other blades have you tried that have been the same (or almost) the same as the GP's?
LRod

I used Gillette Platinum blades almost all September in my Slim and GameChanger, then tried a few and landed on Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (Black, made India) for October. Five shaves in, I feel these Blacks are at least the equal of the GP's and I'm trying to decide if I like them more.

Interesting comment about the Bic Chrome Platinum, I have a sleeve of those I have not tried yet.

Interesting comment about the Bic Chrome Platinum, I have a sleeve of those I have not tried yet.
Not Bic Chrome Platinum. The ones I'm talking about are Bic Astor Stainless in the red box. They aren't coated like the chrome platinum's are, and are a tad milder. It's a fantastic underreported blade!
Better than the regular Bic Chrome Platinum's in my opinion. And I used to use the chrome platinum's a lot!
I just used one for this mornings shave on my ATT Windsor SSRH and it was great!

These:

full

Not Bic Chrome Platinum. The ones I'm talking about are Bic Astor Stainless in the red box. They aren't coated like the chrome platinum's are, and are a tad milder. It's a fantastic underreported blade!
Better than the regular Bic Chrome Platinum's in my opinion. And I used to use the chrome platinum's a lot!
I just used one for this mornings shave on my ATT Windsor SSRH and it was great!

These:

full

Ah! Gotcha gotcha. Thanks for the clarification!! I've never seen those red Bic's before. Nice.

I'm still working on my blade name recognition skills, honestly. I'm still processing the fact most of them seem to have platinum or stainless in the name.

Tom Cruise Reaction GIF

Thank goodness for the advice and wisdom from the members here at B&B or I'd be completely lost!

Top Bottom