What's new

For Gillette Platinum lovers: What other blades feel the same or similar?

Lately I've been on a blade trying frenzy. I've tried quite a few throughout my journey but still have a bunch that I haven't tried. They've been sitting in a drawer! I've also recently ordered more different ones to try. Out of everything I've ever tried, my 3 favorites are:
1. Gillette Platinum (Excellent in every razor but especially good in aggressive razors. A sharp enough blade with incredible smoothness)
2. Wilkinson Sword (Excellent in mid-aggressive razors. Sharper than the GP but still smooth)
3. Bic Chrome Platinum (Excellent in milder razors. Sharp(er) than Feather blades after the 2nd. shave and pretty smooth)
So why title the thread specifying Gillette Platinum?
Because if I had to pick just one out of the 3, it would be the GP's!
For performance, comfort, versatility and value, they've been the best for me.
I know I can simply just stick to the GP's but curiosity leads me to experiment with other blades.
For those that love the GP's, what other blades have you tried that have been the same (or almost) the same as the GP's?
LRod

Amazingly the Super Max Diamond Edge. I'm really getting to like them and they shave to me like a Gillette Plat for about 5-6 shaves. There is a drop off in edge after about shave 7 but for price/performance, excellent!

They are very smooth and sharp straight out of the wrapper. I have been really enjoying them and they seem to like all my razors.

Also they are £9 for a 100 at the moment. About half the price of Plats, although I have not checked GP prices today.
IMG_20220906_214025219.jpg

Amazingly the Super Max Diamond Edge. I'm really getting to like them and they shave to me like a Gillette Plat for about 5-6 shaves. There is a drop off in edge after about shave 7 but for price/performance, excellent!

They are very smooth and sharp straight out of the wrapper. I have been really enjoying them and they seem to like all my razors.

Also they are £9 for a 100 at the moment. About half the price of Plats, although I have not checked GP prices today.
View attachment 1529667
I guess I'll be adding the Super Max on my next order from Razor blades club!

I guess I'll be adding the Super Max on my next order from Razor blades club!
Just an update @LRod, at the moment I can get 100 Plats from a bay for £11.99 and 100 Diamond Edge for £8.94.

The Super Max flagship blade seems to be gaining in recognition. They deserve it.

Have you tried the Silver Blue? I found them a touch less smooth than the Plats but it might have been a tiring blade in a razor it didn't like. Excellent performers again though.

Just an update @LRod, at the moment I can get 100 Plats from a bay for £11.99 and 100 Diamond Edge for £8.94.

The Super Max flagship blade seems to be gaining in recognition. They deserve it.

Have you tried the Silver Blue? I found them a touch less smooth than the Plats but it might have been a tiring blade in a razor it didn't like. Excellent performers again though.
I'll first order it from Razor Blades club. I'm trying to order a tuck at a time per blade brand. Just in case I don't like one!
Razor Blades Club sells the tuck of 5 for .89 cents, Lol!!
I just looked and they actually have 8 different models of Super Max blades!
Might just order them all at that price!
I have Silver Blues and have tried them twice and didn't like them. They work like the GP's but they don't feel smooth to me.
I think whatever coating the GP's have is what makes the difference!
Haven't found it on any other blade yet!

Gillette 7o'clock Super Platinums (aka Blacks or Ninjas [made in India]) are my current top favorite blades. :001_wub:

View attachment 1529835
Yes @Cal I have been looking at these chaps.

What is your impression of performance? Do they have that sweet combination of smooth and sharp that you find with say, the unobtanium Israeli Personna but with a keener edge?

I am just looking for a blade with higher sharpness which does not sacrifice smoothness and with nice a degree of forgivingness, a difficult term to describe maybe.

I have been pondering Nacets and Permasharps - I do actually have a 5 pack of the former - just wondering what your experiences are with these blades?

Last edited:
What is your impression of performance?
My favorite blades must be sharp AND smooth. My top favorite blades (currently the Gillette 7o'clock Blacks) must be the sharpest and smoothest (for me).

My previous top blade was the King C. Gillette, till the Ninja got on the podium and kicked it down into second place.
I have been pondering Nacets and Permasharps - I do actually have a 5 pack of the former - just wondering what your experiences are with these blades?
For me, I find Nacets OK and Perma-Sharps better... but both are easily outclassed by the Ninjas.

Of course, always bear in mind that blades are one of the biggest YMMV items. :devil:

My favorite blades must be sharp AND smooth. My top favorite blades (currently the Gillette 7o'clock Blacks) must be the sharpest and smoothest (for me).

My previous top blade was the King C. Gillette, till the Ninja got on the podium and kicked it down into second place.

For me, I find Nacets OK and Perma-Sharps better... but both are easily outclassed by the Ninjas.

Of course, always bear in mind that blades are one of the biggest YMMV items. :devil:
Thanks for the thoughtful reply @Cal

How do the Ninjas fare in vintages? The FBT, English 50's Tech, Rocket and 195 if you have used them in any of these? I need a definitive sharp yet smooth blade for top tier performance when I occasionally would feel like unpeeling and loading one up.

They may not be the best for my modest vintage OC collection, however, you may have thoughts on this. I have Gillette NEW LC & SC examples, including a lovely Otto Roth, (AKA Evil Otto) - hat tip to Brother @Messygoon for that - as well as a couple of excellent English early 30's Souplex and Laurel types, approximating to a Gillette Old in design.

As you know, my moderns are confined to a EJ Kelvin DES89 and the wonderful Piccolo. Have you tried them in these, although I don't think you use an EJ.

Any additional thoughts most welcomed!

Last edited:
How do the Ninjas fare in vintages? The FBT, English 50's Tech, Rocket and 195 if you have used them in any of these? I need a definitive sharp yet smooth blade for top tier performance when I occasionally would feel like unpeeling and loading one up.
Personally speaking, Simon, I don't "get" this different blades for different razors stuff.

If I really like a blade, it's great in ANY razor. If I find a blade to be "average," it's average in ANY razor.

Personally speaking, Simon, I don't "get" this different blades for different razors stuff.

If I really like a blade, it's great in ANY razor. If I find a blade to be "average," it's average in ANY razor.
Cool. Wise words methinks. I hear the whispering voice of Captain Technique in my shell-like ears.

Appreciated Cal. I will pick some of these Ninjas up ASAP.

I trust your judgement and opinion! :letterk1:

Last edited:
:001_cool:

Thank you... but then of course, if they don't work for you, you can blame me. Most people do. :devil:
Appreciated as always!

I have heard good things about these Blacks, and a natty tin case? My cup runneth over!

I will have to find that deal!

Top Bottom