What's new

The unWolfman

lasta

Blade Biter
I have a razor is " farther south than south" that might interest you, it's the "Gillette Super Click", which you probably already have.

I bought it for only $2. I got a razor that weighs only 6 grams and won't break even if it falls from ten floors.The blades are even on both sides, but usually with a little smile.
"Super click" is regarded by many as the final DE design of the real Gillette. There are also longitudinally grained handles similar to the "Gillette Slim Twist".
And there are several colors to collect.

I love it as much as any other expensive razor.
View attachment 1515570
Look at that "blade support" along the entire length! "Zero chatter", "negligible deflection"! Haha.

Personally I've had the back of my neck shaved by a barber holding a DE blade between his fingers.

Some razors have more blade feel than others. But, (IMO) within similar ranges, a lot of razors shave the same. Beyond a certain range, all razors are just blade holders.

To me, I buy razors for good looks. Cheap or expensive makes little difference. If it's shiny and good looking, it shaves me better.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Personally I've had the back of my neck shaved by a barber holding a DE blade between his fingers.
Aaah! That must have been the moment in time when the experience "all razors are just blade holders", you mentioned this a lot, got etched into your cerebrum! :adoration:

The way the blade is supported or not has quite an influence on how it shaves, how likely it is to injure or how easy to use it is. There are also razors that rather want it rather steep or shallow, the angle makes for quite a difference.
Here we even discuss the length and weight of the handle, which can also influence the result.

It's like wine, there is a lot of variety even within the same grapes planted on similar soil in the same region.

Razors and wine have something in common: I can take a guess and often I guess right, but very often I am thoroughly surprised how differently for worse or better a shave or wine turned out. There are a lot of 5-10 EUR Primitivos from Southern Italy that are a delight, while some 50-100 EUR range Amarones made me fume with anger. A pity, as I like good Amarone (I recommend David Sterza. And just noticed price for the Domaine Lafage Narassa went up considerably, just wanted to recommend it as way cheaper alternative... oh well).

I had a Yuma a few months ago and it really does shave very good. I had some troubles in a few small areas, but then again I had troubles there with most of my razors. A friend of mine wanted to get into DE shaving, but he didn't want to spend much money, so I gave him my Yuma along with a couple of different blades and an Arko stick. I will get another Yuma at some point. For the price, I think the Yuma is great razor even though the quality is very poor.

About more expensive modern razors, I really have nothing against them, but I can't see myself paying $200 + for a modern razor without knowing first hand how that razor shavers. Paying that much for a vintage razor is one thing, since I love collecting vintage razors and if the market place for that razor is somewhere around $200, it means that I can always get my money back with ease, but I don't have the same confidence with the modern razors and that's the razon why I hesetate to spend lots of money on modern razors, because I know from expirience that no matter how much people are praising or hyping a specific brand or model, it all comes down to what works for me.

I have a razor is " farther south than south" that might interest you, it's the "Gillette Super Click", which you probably already have.

I bought it for only $2. I got a razor that weighs only 6 grams and won't break even if it falls from ten floors.The blades are even on both sides, but usually with a little smile.
"Super click" is regarded by many as the final DE design of the real Gillette. There are also longitudinally grained handles similar to the "Gillette Slim Twist".
And there are several colors to collect.

I love it as much as any other expensive razor.
View attachment 1515570
That’s a neat design. I don’t recall seeing one of these before but I guess they must have been on supermarket shelves everywhere at the time. I guess the top cap wouldn’t secure the blade as tightly and evenly as a screw on handle design, but I don’t know if that has to matter very much in practice. I like the idea of this. Can the top cap eventually break off at the hinge after a lot of usage?

I like the minimalism of certain razor designs, before everything could be made with high-precision CNC manufacturing. For a given razor design there are only certain parts that are critical to making it perform correctly, and precision-machining the whole razor is over-engineering.

Last edited:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I've never been a gambler. I live about 40 minutes from Saratoga Race Track and we visited in 1974 (we'll go for our second visit in 2024 for our 50 year track anniversary).

I have the greatest respect for anyone who has the courage to shave with one of these. If I wanted an inexpensive razor I'd look for a beater old Gillette.

These razors seem to be going up in price fast?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220902-071459_Etsy.jpg
    Screenshot_20220902-071459_Etsy.jpg
    723.1 KB · Views: 48

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
That’s a neat design. I don’t recall seeing one of these before but I guess they must have been on supermarket shelves everywhere at the time. I guess the top cap wouldn’t secure the blade as tightly and evenly as a screw on handle design, but I don’t know if that has to matter very much in practice. I like the idea of this. Can the top cap eventually break off at the hinge after a lot of usage?

I like the minimalism of certain razor designs, before everything could be made with high-precision CNC manufacturing. For a given razor design there are only certain parts that are critical to making it perform correctly, and precision-machining the whole razor is over-engineering.
Super click is still made in Asia and is available online and some traditional stores.

In fact, since it holds the blade on the cap with four protruding corners like the "Tech", the blade remains stable once the head is closed.

Moreover, both ends of the cap of "Super Click" are hole-shaped, which are used for fixing with the protruding shapes on both sides of the base plate; the hinge is only used for connection, so even if the hinge is broken, the razor can still be used normally.

The biggest problem with this design comes entirely from the lightweight plastic and hollow handle, so there will be obvious resonance and maybe a little flex. But with such a low price and market target, I don't think that's the original sin.
I think "Super Click" might not be a daily razor, but it's great for travel.

Last edited:

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Look at that "blade support" along the entire length! "Zero chatter", "negligible deflection"! Haha.

Some razors have more blade feel than others. But, (IMO) within similar ranges, a lot of razors shave the same. Beyond a certain range, all razors are just blade holders.

To me, I buy razors for good looks. Cheap or expensive makes little difference. If it's shiny and good looking, it shaves me better.
I am a designer and a university design teacher. Unless a razor is really bothering me in use, I can see in each razor their design merits and goal values to appreciate.

It's not just about looking good or not.

It's more important to come up with a differentiating idea in the razor, or change it for travel/for cost reduction/to try new processing methods/for more luxury/for efficiency or gentleness….
So luxury and cheap razors are equally attractive to me.

I give all my razors the same love, whether it's a Wolfman/Gillette super click or Travalong...

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I had a Yuma a few months ago and it really does shave very good. I had some troubles in a few small areas, but then again I had troubles there with most of my razors. A friend of mine wanted to get into DE shaving, but he didn't want to spend much money, so I gave him my Yuma along with a couple of different blades and an Arko stick. I will get another Yuma at some point. For the price, I think the Yuma is great razor even though the quality is very poor.

About more expensive modern razors, I really have nothing against them, but I can't see myself paying $200 + for a modern razor without knowing first hand how that razor shavers. Paying that much for a vintage razor is one thing, since I love collecting vintage razors and if the market place for that razor is somewhere around $200, it means that I can always get my money back with ease, but I don't have the same confidence with the modern razors and that's the razon why I hesetate to spend lots of money on modern razors, because I know from expirience that no matter how much people are praising or hyping a specific brand or model, it all comes down to what works for me.
For me, that's why I've found in invaluable to get advice from people here like @Mr. Shavington who have experience with the same razors I own and who like the same things in a razor. It cuts down the odds of making a costly mistake.

I have limited funds. I can't afford to buy three or four expensive razors to try out. I know you can always sell them on BST and only lose a small percentage of the original outlay, but I think, with the knowledge base here, it's possible to ask enough questions to determine what you'll end up liking. I know the YMMV thing is always in play, but you can narrow down the choices significantly by getting advice from people who share the same likes and even dislikes as you do.

I did this exact thing while assembling my small brush collection. I read whole threads on Mistura brushes... DecemBOAR month thread and ended up getting badger brush advice from the people there who like the same brush feel that I do. The only missteps I made were when I ventured out on my own, only to discover several posts where people said... I tried this brush and it was problematic for me and here's why. It turns out @Chan Eil Whiskers 's tastes in brushes mirror my own. He was invaluable in my brush selections. If you like smaller brushes, take a look at @Cal 's posts.... There are countless others who have other tastes... in everything shaving: soaps, razors, blades, brushes, bowls.... anything you can think of.

And there many threads like this one where people share how to get great shaves from very inexpensive gear..... again.. everything... razors, blades, brushes, soaps... all inexpensive but great performers.

For me, that's why I've found in invaluable to get advice from people here like @Mr. Shavington who have experience with the same razors I own and who like the same things in a razor. It cuts down the odds of making a costly mistake.

I have limited funds. I can't afford to buy three or four expensive razors to try out. I know you can always sell them on BST and only lose a small percentage of the original outlay, but I think, with the knowledge base here, it's possible to ask enough questions to determine what you'll end up liking. I know the YMMV thing is always in play, but you can narrow down the choices significantly by getting advice from people who share the same likes and even dislikes as you do.

I did this exact thing while assembling my small brush collection. I read whole threads on Mistura brushes... DecemBOAR month thread and ended up getting badger brush advice from the people there who like the same brush feel that I do. The only missteps I made were when I ventured out on my own, only to discover several posts where people said... I tried this brush and it was problematic for me and here's why. It turns out @Chan Eil Whiskers 's tastes in brushes mirror my own. He was invaluable in my brush selections. If you like smaller brushes, take a look at @Cal 's posts.... There are countless others who have other tastes... in everything shaving: soaps, razors, blades, brushes, bowls.... anything you can think of.

And there many threads like this one where people share how to get great shaves from very inexpensive gear..... again.. everything... razors, blades, brushes, soaps... all inexpensive but great performers.

Finding people with common interests, tastes and shaving issues is very helpful indeed. We're all very different here and not everyone cares about collecting vintage razors, brushes, artisan soaps with questionable scents and so on. Having a second opinion from someone who like similar things is indeed very helpful, but still rolling the dice and buying a $200 + razor is always a gamble.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Finding people with common interests, tastes and shaving issues is very helpful indeed. We're all very different here and not everyone cares about collecting vintage razors, brushes, artisan soaps with questionable scents and so on. Having a second opinion from someone who like similar things is indeed very helpful, but still rolling the dice and buying a $200 + razor is always a gamble.
I have three Vintage Gillette razors.... all replated by Chris @ Back Roads Gold... I have more invested in them than $200. I ended up buying British Flat Bottom Techs and a British Raised Flat Bottom so they were a bit more expensive to start with.

I don't want a collection of razors.. just a few I like very much. If I add one more.. I'll have a total of 5 razors... the one AC and 4 DE's.... that will be enough for me, I believe. I know, I know.. famous last words.

I just realized... for full disclosure... I have 4 Claymore Evolutions... one polished and three with the matte finish...each with a different handle. One was a trial gift for our son.. and he prefers his Merkur 38C so I got that one back. I'm using it to loan out to people want to try the AC format before making a purchase... or people who have AC razors but want to try a Claymore Evo before a purchase.

I have three Vintage Gillette razors.... all replated by Chris @ Back Roads Gold... I have more invested in them than $200. I ended up buying British Flat Bottom Techs and a British Raised Flat Bottom so they were a bit more expensive to start with.

I don't want a collection of razors.. just a few I like very much. If I add one more.. I'll have a total of 5 razors... the one AC and 4 DE's.... that will be enough for me, I believe. I know, I know.. famous last words.

I just realized... for full disclosure... I have 4 Claymore Evolutions... one polished and three with the matte finish...each with a different handle. One was a trial gift for our son.. and he prefers his Merkur 38C so I got that one back. I'm using it to loan out to people want to try the AC format before making a purchase... or people who have AC razors but want to try a Claymore Evo before a purchase.

I've tried the Yaqi clone of the Vector using Proline blades and while the shaves I've got were good, I wasn't super either and the shaves kinda reminds of shaving with injector razors, but I find them a bit more comfortable and the blades are way cheaper too. At least I'm glad that I've had the opportunity to see what's all the fuss about with the AC style razors. If I ended up liking it, I was probably going to buy a Vector for sure. My advice is to always try something less expensive before jumping in the deep end of things. I did the same with the GEM style razors and the injectors by getting a few inexpensive vintage razors knowing that even if I don't like them, I won't feel bad at all.

This cast, pot metal two-piece THREE PIECE razor weighs next to nothing and is almost as tiny as a travel Tech. Unfinished in any way it wears its bare metal matte patina with humility.
FTFY :wink2:
Carefully unscrew the hollow shaft from the nearly weightless head and insert your blade of choice. Don’t worry about the uneven blade alignment (more about this later).
Blade alignment on mine (I have three) is pretty good every time... no fiddling with the blade tabs at all. :biggrin:
And the shave: miraculous! The Yuma surprises every user with its smooth but medium aggressive shave.
Indeed! It's definitely a great shaver (IMO):
SOTD-Y-K_2021-04-15.jpg

I find it nearly impossible to insert a blade and get even blade exposure. No matter how I insert it, jiggle it, squeeze it, I cannot get it aligned. But no bother, it works well regardless. In fact, the uneven blade exposure gives you a close edge and a closer edge, 2 razors in one, a quick flip providing more aggression for problem areas. I love it.
I guess it's the luck of the draw. But I must say that I prefer my fairly accurate aligning Yumas.
Whatever the price, the Yuma offers a wild, weird adventure in DE shaving. Embrace its primitive crudeness and revel in the surprisingly great shave.
My good friend Doug (@Rosseforp) made me a special handle I designed, just for the Yuma (the GT). At 14.4 grams it's only two grams heavier than the original handle:
Y403S-5_2021-06-02.jpg

I shined the cap up, to match the handle better. :letterk1:

Here's my Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB on the same handle:
SOTD-WR2GT-Y_2021-09-08.jpg

For me... the Wolf's a great shaver, but not quite as good as my Yuma.

FTFY :wink2:

Blade alignment on mine (I have three) is pretty good every time... no fiddling with the blade tabs at all. :biggrin:

Indeed! It's definitely a great shaver (IMO):
View attachment 1515844

I guess it's the luck of the draw. But I must say that I prefer my fairly accurate aligning Yumas.

My good friend Doug (@Rosseforp) made me a special handle I designed, just for the Yuma (the GT). At 14.4 grams it's only two grams heavier than the original handle:
View attachment 1515852
I shined the cap up, to match the handle better. :letterk1:

Here's my Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB on the same handle:
View attachment 1515855
For me... the Wolf's a great shaver, but not quite as good as my Yuma.
I caught my error after the time to edit had expired. Of course it’s a 3-piece, and a magnificent one at that.

The Yuma is just OK in my opinion.
The original from which the Turks cloned is much nicer and has a differential comb feature.

Generic German Solingen razor (mild side)
full
I didn't realize the Yuma was a clone. You learn something everyday. Not entirely surprising though, as the handle resembles another razor, the Merkur 42c/1904, which is another German made razor.

Top Bottom