What's new

The unWolfman

At the extreme northern end of the DE world we have the Wolfman, the Rocnel and other über-expensive razors. At the other extreme dwells the crude, dirt cheap, ugly, totally non-artisanal, bottom dweller of razors, the magnificent Yuma.

This cast, pot metal two-piece razor weighs next to nothing and is almost as tiny as a travel Tech. Unfinished in any way it wears its bare metal matte patina with humility

Carefully unscrew the hollow shaft from the nearly weightless head and insert your blade of choice. Don’t worry about the uneven blade alignment (more about this later).

And the shave: miraculous! The Yuma surprises every user with its smooth but medium aggressive shave. It pairs well with Derby blades (no surprise) and the Lord blades that I use. It has a ferocious reputation, but I upped its aggressiveness with a shim that, for me, makes it a super-efficient high performer.

I find it nearly impossible to insert a blade and get even blade exposure. No matter how I insert it, jiggle it, squeeze it, I cannot get it aligned. But no bother, it works well regardless. In fact, the uneven blade exposure gives you a close edge and a closer edge, 2 razors in one, a quick flip providing more aggression for problem areas. I love it.

Yumas can be had in Turkey for next to nothing, and for a few Euros in Europe. In North America they can be tricky to obtain; the one place on the web I found wanted $9.

Whatever the price, the Yuma offers a wild, weird adventure in DE shaving. Embrace its primitive crudeness and revel in the surprisingly great shave.

I have no issue with inexpensive great performing razors. (The Baili BR171 comes to mind.) But I bought an inexpensive Haward razor from AliExpress and although close shaving it also gashed my chin. Ever since then I've been gunshy to try inexpensive razors (like the Yuma) that I haven't heard a lot about.

I have no issue with inexpensive great performing razors. (The Baili BR171 comes to mind.) But I bought an inexpensive Haward razor from AliExpress and although close shaving it also gashed my chin. Ever since then I've been gunshy to try inexpensive razors (like the Yuma) that I haven't heard a lot about.
The Yuma is a diamond in the rough (pretty rough). Seems to be patterned after some old German razors, with a bare metal finish. It costs just a few bucks at a Turkish market.

Yeah they do. They are called "normies" as a derogatory term.

Besides, both of y'all are doing it wrong anyways.. too cheap.. too expensive. What about the folks in the middle? The sweet spot.. for example Razorock. 😆
You got me wrong. I just want people to feel free to use whatever they like. True, my most expensive razor was around $50, but still. I encourage people to try some vintage stuff because much of it works well and is fun in its own way.

You got me wrong. I just want people to feel free to use whatever they like. True, my most expensive razor was around $50, but still. I encourage people to try some vintage stuff because much of it works well and is fun in its own way.

No worries, I was just joking.

That's a great message for everyone "I just want people to feel free to use whatever they like".

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Yuma pics!
s-l400.jpg

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I have a razor is " farther south than south" that might interest you, it's the "Gillette Super Click", which you probably already have.

I bought it for only $2. I got a razor that weighs only 6 grams and won't break even if it falls from ten floors.The blades are even on both sides, but usually with a little smile.
"Super click" is regarded by many as the final DE design of the real Gillette. There are also longitudinally grained handles similar to the "Gillette Slim Twist".
And there are several colors to collect.

I love it as much as any other expensive razor.
277352059_5089590754413120_2293467331903165308_n.jpg

Top Bottom