What's new

Just got a Yuma, and holy smokes...

Well I'm pretty sure the Yumas I received are in fact fake, plastic cap and all, which is unfortunate. But surprisingly, I feel comfortable standing by my previous claims of it being a decent razor; I shaved with it again this morning and got great results, no complaints. I'm still getting used to the weight, and someday I will likely order a real Yuma to compare, but overall I'm still very pleased with the quality of the shave.
Gillette Super Blue and Lord L5 SB/OC are two other sleepers in this price range.

7F7C7FAB-D69A-4662-AD4F-BC43405F183A.jpeg

36FC82DB-4807-4FAD-A44E-9D6E25D33F13.jpeg

Well I'm pretty sure the Yumas I received are in fact fake, plastic cap and all, which is unfortunate.
I think you are super lucky to have found a fake YUMA..! I think it could turn into a cherished collector's item. Like, who would want to fake a razor that cost 2 $ in the first place..? What do I know. But if it shaves well, AND is truly fake, I think you won a jack-pot..!! :em2200:

I mean, I ask the same thing about fake blades all the time, but there are folks who are certain they exist. Well, if a fake $2 razor exists, I imagine fake blades exist as well.

If it's the same Ukranian eBay seller I've looked at, the Treet Platinum razor they had (which is a copy of the Wilkinson Sword Classic razor) looked way more interesting than the Yumas. I didn't end up getting that though, I got an Indian Gillette 7o'clock Sterling (and a Lord) to scratch that cheap razor itch.

I had another look at the Yuma listing that I think you bought from (edit: the product photos do match the OPs), and it does say "plastic" razor in the title, and also only says the handle is metal in the description. It could be a knockoff, or perhaps Yuma realised plastic is even cheaper than zinc.

I actually got my hands on a dozen, shipped out of Ukraine for ~$27 total on eBay (~$2.25 each, while singletons are listed for $20 or more). I had some RAD starting to bubble up a few weeks ago, and I posted about not being able to find anything to scratch that itch because there's nothing out there that's worth a damn. I think in one of my posts I even mentioned that the Yuma was more compelling than anything else out there right now. AND I WAS RIGHT.

What a great razor. Going in it looks pretty suspect, but I trusted what I had read on this board and went ahead with it. The magic is in the Yuma's light weight and prominent blade feel. It's super-efficient while weighing next to nothing, which combines to create a really comfortable, high-performing razor. There's a little bit of blade chatter, but it's not as bad as it seems initially. Yes there's a blade alignment issue, but it didn't matter. Yes there seems to be some minor plating loss on this brand-new razor, and that doesn't matter either. The results speak for themself, and they're spectacular.

All you folks talking about getting these other high-end razors should do yourself a favor and order a dozen on these bad boys. I can see them being great for travel, giving away, and using the hell out of because they are cheap and fantastic.

Stop what you're doing and get a Yuma.
Are they all-plastic or just the cap? I looked the current auction and it says right now that the handle is plastic.

Don't think I'd want a dozen but one can be handy.
I satisfied my Yuma itch about ten years ago. It's OK.

full

The generic Solingen DE they copied is worlds better, even has a differential head.

full
Is the Solingen DE no longer produced?

If it's the same Ukranian eBay seller I've looked at, the Treet Platinum razor they had (which is a copy of the Wilkinson Sword Classic razor) looked way more interesting than the Yumas. I didn't end up getting that though, I got an Indian Gillette 7o'clock Sterling (and a Lord) to scratch that cheap razor itch.

Judging from the photo online, the Treet Platinum razor appears to be a total replica of the Wilkinson Sword.
Not bad for $2, but the original comes with 5 blades instead of 2.
4468054673_w640_h640_4468054673.png4468054687_w640_h640_4468054687.png4468055567_w640_h640_4468055567.png4468055568_w640_h640_4468055568.png4468055571_w640_h640_4468055571.png4468055575_w640_h640_4468055575.png4468055582_w640_h640_4468055582.png4468055585_w640_h640_4468055585.png

Recently I managed to find two YUMAs in a small Turkish grocery-store, the version with a heavier handle. I LOVE that version. I haven' used a YUMA in a long while, but decided to just take one for a test drive again, because I was contemplating giving one to my teenage nephew as his first DE razor.
BOY, what a fantastic razor. What I don't understand, is why it is that this comes as a surprise to me every time. the YUMA is so efficient, so smooth ... I suppose what keeps fooling me is that it is dirt cheap and looks like complete junk. But don't be mistaken... Judged on performance, it might possibly be nothing less than the best razor in my entire collection.

BRUSH: Omega 10066 Boar
SOAP: Hamol shaving cream
RAZOR: YUMA
BLADE: Feather
A/S: Alun, Myrsol Blue
COMMENT: This Hamol shaving cream was also something I found in a Turkish grocery store at 1 € for a tube. Never heard of it before, great stuff. Comes with hamamelis extract (witchhazel), and coconut oil, super slick. Fragrance nothing to write home about, but performance and price are both hard to beat.
Overall, perfect shave, with rock bottom budget equipment (well, except for the Feather blade, and Myrsol aftershave perhaps).

YUMA.jpg

For it's price, the Yuma really does punch way above its weight. It's construction might feel a bit brittle and I need to adjust the blade a bit to make it even on both sides, but the shave is really good. It's also a very good option for traveling and you won't have to worry too much if you lose it.

Top Bottom