Pass 1: new-to-me Puma 4/8 SR for a shave test
The rest: new-to-me E-R '24 Shovelhead kit
Blade: Gem PTFE (2) in its prime
Prep: Mama Bear's Grapefruit Ice stick
Brush: E-R 100T 'cooling tower' boar vintage knot
Lather: Wilkinson Sword stick
Splash: Bimini B badger blend for a hot August day
77C7A1A4-DA27-463C-BFAD-BB8F5E6ABFE8.jpeg

I'd forgotten that this boar still has scritch and funk. Quite authentic for a vintage knot.

I'm very pleased to have wild caught this small shiny Shovelhead in its equally shiny travel case. With the blade at the top of its game, the final result was very, very close.

Enjoy your Monday!

Razor: Gem Push-Button Gold
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Jayaruh #429 White Rook in two-band badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Seaforth! Heather
Aftershave: Seaforth! Heather Aftershave Toner
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
20220306_082831.jpg

Interesting shave today, but no pictures.

Razor: GEM Pushbutton
Blade: GEM Personna SS PTFE
Soap: Nivea Sensitive Gel
Brush: Maggard, Black and White

About a week ago I developed a spot of rash on one cheek. Over time it expanded until it covered my whole face and neck from sideburns down to my chest. Itchy and uncomfortable.

I probably should have stopped shaving, but ... I took the opportunity to work on *VERY* light pressure and switched to the Nivea and CeraVe.

My face and upper neck cleared up yesterday and I'm assuming (hoping) my lower neck and chest will soon.

Bottom line, thank goodness for a mild razor, a sharp blade, and good technique.

I’ve had a love-hate relationship with Micromatic Monday ever since I hamburgered my face on my initial foray several weeks ago. I always enter it (unless I don’t) with a little apprehension. After today I will probably use my Gems a little more often, it was one of my best shaves ever! My Gem Junior (1912) performed flawlessly with a Persona Gem PTFE blade (2). I credit a lot of it to the spine shim, thanks again @Ron R! A 98% BBS!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
ASRazor shave, Tuesday, August 30th 2022- Reversed the Schick Twin2 blade for a single edge shave this morning and found it has a little more blade feel and had a very close comfortable shave. Nice blade feel in this configuration for those folks who like blade feel in a razor IMO.
Handled wonderfully also and felt great in the hand. Very sharp blade when reversed also.
In the normal position a Twin2 blade would sit in a razor is the most smoothest and comfortable shave in this Gem MMFW razor and is very nice shaving for daily shavers. It does not feel like a Schick injector but a much nicer feel for myself because the blade is still tilted downward because of the middle blade keeper + more heavier razor IMO. Care is needed to seat blade in blade stops, once clamped down it is not going anywhere because of the way a Micromatic clamps blades IMO.

Razor : Gem Micromatic Flying wing(AKA= guiding eye, Bullet tip, MMFW + MMBT) excellent mild> tame mid range, well built and the heaviest of the 3 main model variants. A joy to use!
Blade : Schick Twin 2 Stainless (2), Excellent blade, Sharp & smoooth with stellar longevity. Excellent for daily shaving! Bought mine years ago when had a good sale, Pricier now when checked last at big auction house.
Soap : Razorock XXX Fresco with mild menthol- nice mild clean scented + excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi Bali 24mm Silvertip badger
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock XXX with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my Gem MMFW with a Schick Twin 2 blade.
SOTD August 30 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

I’ve had a love-hate relationship with Micromatic Monday ever since I hamburgered my face on my initial foray several weeks ago. I always enter it (unless I don’t) with a little apprehension. After today I will probably use my Gems a little more often, it was one of my best shaves ever! My Gem Junior (1912) performed flawlessly with a Persona Gem PTFE blade (2). I credit a lot of it to the spine shim, thanks again @Ron R! A 98% BBS!
That's good we all help one another and that is why I keep posting here and other threads!
Glade you got a stellar shave today, the shim just smooths it out a little IMO because of the blade tilt and slightly less blade blade gap. Thanks for the kind words!

Ron R

I'm not sure what you mean by reversed? You shaved with the spine? Or was it upside down..
When I mean reversed the twin blade both edges are upside down with the bottom blade is now on the top. You increase blade exposure because the two blades & spacer act as a shim combined for 21/1000 of inch or .021 inches instead of a one regular standard blade thickness of 9/1000".
Basically a shim equalling 14/1000 of inch or .014 inches under the top blade that is magically spot welded together.
Another interesting unknown are these have a special thickness for these blades of 7/1000 inches in thickness, spacer is 7/1000 of a inch in thickness for this Schick twin 2 blade combined = 21/1000 of a inch or .021 inches.
It is kind of hard to explain so I took simple photo to help me to add what I have mentioned, hope this clears this understanding of what reversed means to me.
(L) reversed of what it would look like held in a razor...(R)What a normal designed Schick twin clamped looks like in use.
Schick twin blade in a MMBT hack. reversed meaning..jpg

Have some great shaves.

When I mean reversed the twin blade both edges are upside down with the bottom blade is now on the top. You increase blade exposure because the two blades & spacer act as a shim combined for 21/1000 of inch or .021 inches instead of a one regular standard blade thickness of 9/1000".
Basically a shim equalling 14/1000 of inch or .014 inches under the top blade that is magically spot welded together.
Another interesting unknown are these have a special thickness for these blades of 7/1000 inches in thickness, spacer is 7/1000 of a inch in thickness for this Schick twin 2 blade combined = 21/1000 of a inch or .021 inches.
It is kind of hard to explain so I took simple photo to help me to add what I have mentioned, hope this clears this understanding of what reversed means to me.
(L) reversed of what it would look like held in a razor...(R)What a normal designed Schick twin clamped looks like in use.
View attachment 1514183
Have some great shaves.
Thanks for the explanation, Ron.

Thanks for the explanation, Ron.

I more than likely confused a few other folks along the way!:laugh::lol:

Thank you for asking that question @Whiterook. I was confused to but have been fairly busy lately so I hadn't taken the time to ask.
@Ron R you are not only a wealth of knowledge but also a bit of a mad scientist. And I mean that in a very good way. Thank you very much for all your contributions to the community.

Ron R

MMMonday, September 5th 2022, I had a ASRazor shave today.

Razor : Ever-Ready streamline 2nd Generation - Mfg 1949-53, upper mid range, well built to last generations and needs a light touch to master this interesting razor. I also put a folded spent blade spline shim under the existing shim to mock older blades to smooth it out slightly also but shaves Ok with out one also.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (9)- Very Sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
Soap : Razorock "The Dead Sea" unique scent that is pleasurable + excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi Atlantis 24mm synthetic- excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, Great splay scrubber + great lather painter, very close face feel to a 2 band badger IMO.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock The Dead Sea splash with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my Everready Streamline 2nd Gen with a Gem coated blade.
SOTD Septemper 5 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Micromatic Monday
20220904_183525~2.jpg

Razor: GEM Featherweight Deluxe
Blade: Personna GEM (8)
Brush: Omega Jade 011842 Premium Pure Bristle
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Fougère
Aftershave: Brut Classic
Fragrance: Brut Original EdT Spray
20220904_183611~2.jpg

Superb shave! :cool:

Notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11917392

Last edited:
Another of my recent '24 Shovelhead acquisitions takes its first spin. It also sports the shortest '24 handle at 2 3/8" / 60mm.

You can ignore the Weiner Schaber in the photo. It largely ignored my stubble on pass 1.

E-R vintage boar / Gem PTFE (5)
Very close cold water evening shave
DC6C66F8-B7BA-49CE-83AF-DD63D9C137B9.jpeg

PXL_20220905_175826656-01.jpeg

Almost completely back in the saddle today.

GEM Damaskeen/GEM Personna SS PTFE
MWF
Simpson, Duke 3 in Best
CeraVe, Daily Moisturizing

Back out in the sun (and heat) yesterday with only a minor flare up of the rash. Back to the normal suspects for soaps and brushes. Still making a concession to my neck with the CeraVe. We'll see how it all feels tomorrow...

Top Bottom