What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

DG original
DG b3
GC 068 / Gillette red
Lucky tiger

9/10

555E676A-B9C0-4047-B586-A61F041F4245.jpeg

Friday morning. This one's back from last Saturday : I'm waiting for the entry thread to open on the Restoration and Modification forum (suppose I should have allowed for time zones), so looks it like you'll see it here first. One of the requirements is that it be "shave ready", so I could probably cite this as evidence.

Modified Gold Dollar 66 #3 : "Brass Farthing" 6/8 barber's notch straight razor
Edwin Jagger faux horn silvertip badger brush
Fredricsson's Kaffir Lime and Juniper soap
Brut aftershave

Last week I was expecting it to be a bit of a handful because of the weight of the hammered brass scales and where that is, but I remember being pleasantly surprised. This morning it seemed more unusual and I ended up going for a forefinger-and-thumb-on-the-blade-side-and-three-fingers-on-the-tail grip. Appeared to work.

It looks like this :
Brass Farthing 220701.png

Good work from the Jagger brush and the Fredricsson's soap, and Brut seemed to fit with the smells.

Visually a fine shave, but face rubbing tells me I'm not as close as I can get everywhere. The edge is treetopping nicely, so I'll put that down to getting used to the handling. Suppose I'll just have to use it a few more times. Let's call it another "8".

01 July 2022
1656677604625.jpeg

Prep
Old Spice bar soap (in bowl with white cap)
Razor
King C. Gillette
Brush
Omega---11126
Soap
Cattie’s Bubbles – Forked River, New Jersey
Bowl
Q Shave Scuttle
Blade
Shark Yellow Super Stainless 1 of 10 Shave #1
Passes
WTG, XTG and then buffing as required
Cleanup
Rinsed & dried face f/b Witch Haze f/b Omega Alum stick
Aftershave
Old Spice (now in small travel bottle)
Rating(s)
9.2 DFS+
Today
Very light stubble, with no nicks or weeps.
Comment(s)
Started with a very heavy beard. A thorough Old Spice prep face wash got the day started, followed by Cattie’s Bubbles my KCG razor with a fresh blade obliterated the scruffy beard. I lowered my rating(s) because I left some stubble around the gusher nick from a few days ago.
I will be using Shark Yellow Super Stainless exclusively throughout July.

01 July 2022
View attachment 1481177

Prep
Old Spice bar soap (in bowl with white cap)
Razor
King C. Gillette
Brush
Omega---11126
Soap
Cattie’s Bubbles – Forked River, New Jersey
Bowl
Q Shave Scuttle
Blade
Shark Yellow Super Stainless 1 of 10 Shave #1
Passes
WTG, XTG and then buffing as required
Cleanup
Rinsed & dried face f/b Witch Haze f/b Omega Alum stick
Aftershave
Old Spice (now in small travel bottle)
Rating(s)
9.2 DFS+
Today
Very light stubble, with no nicks or weeps.
Comment(s)
Started with a very heavy beard. A thorough Old Spice prep face wash got the day started, followed by Cattie’s Bubbles my KCG razor with a fresh blade obliterated the scruffy beard. I lowered my rating(s) because I left some stubble around the gusher nick from a few days ago.
I will be using Shark Yellow Super Stainless exclusively throughout July.
Now that’s a darn good lather worked up in that scuttle!😊👍💈

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Second shave with un-named soap
Shaving Soap

(Duck, Wagyu, Emu, Tussah Silk) Formulation Ingredients:

Stearic Acid, Water, Potassium Hydroxide,Duck Fat, Wagyu Tallow, Coconut Oil, Emu Oil, Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter, Lanolin, Glycerin, Germaben II-E (Preservative), Sodium Lactate, Tussah Silk

Vintage Gillette Fatboy (D-1)
Med prep (4)
Graydog Quilt 26mm Duro knot
Outstanding results 🥰
Soap is excellent 👍
Overall I give this shave a 10 1/2👍
PXL_20220701_114504035.PORTRAIT~2.jpg
PXL_20220701_115634232.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

Soap: PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum
Razor: Lupo 95 SB Baseplate
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: Omega 48
Aftershave: PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum
9/10
I'll paste the official scent profile below for you. I'm about the worst at diagnosing a fragrance. I just know what I like and what I don't. It's masculine without being overbearing. It's fresh, not sweet. For me, leans slightly towards a cologne type scent. Even thought it has citrus as the opening scent listed below, I don't really think of citrus when I first smell it, although that's definitely what gives it freshness. But again, I'm not good at this at all.

Scent Profile: Citrus (Lemon, Bergamot & Mandarin Orange), White Musk, Jamaican Ginger, White Pepper, Haitian Vetiver, Hiba Wood, Honey Amber, Black Sage, Peppermint, Jerusalem Pine
Thanks!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
View attachment 1480790
Birthday shave!

Razor: Ever-Ready Streamline Deluxe Set
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Simpson Duke 3 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Mauer & Wirtz Tabac
Aftershave: Maurer & Wirtz Tabac Aftershave Lotion
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating Ten.

I bought this set from a forum member several weeks ago and decided it would be my birthday present to myself. It was worth the wait!
20220629_091219.jpg

Birthday shave!

Razor: Ever-Ready Streamline Deluxe Set
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Simpson Duke 3 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Mauer & Wirtz Tabac
Aftershave: Maurer & Wirtz Tabac Aftershave Lotion
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating Ten.

I bought this set from a forum member several weeks ago and decided it would be my birthday present to myself. It was worth the wait!
Happy belated birthday!:happybday:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Fri, July1st 2022

Razor : Yaqi Excalibur AC 50mm- Mfg 2021, tame mid range, there is minimal blade tab overhang to be aware of, I get great shaves with this razor.
Blade : Schick proline P30(6) sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity.
Soap : Razorock Lavender, nice mid range scent with excellent lather qualities. (discontinued) One of my favorite soaps.
Brush : Yaqi Purple haze 24mm synthetic, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle scrubber, excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock King Louis lavender with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :9.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 weeper=:a17: excellent shave with my Yaqi Excalibur AC 50mm with a Schick proline p30.
SOTD July 1 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Friday it's July! Traveling shave #49; a great two-pass shave with lots of cleanup that resulted in another DFS+, 9+/10:

Razor: Simple Clean Shave-Model A- an easy shaver that hasn't yielded any nicks or irritation, but shaves me a bit less close than razors with some positive blade exposure; it makes for a very pleasant travel or daily driver
Blade: Rapira (2)- blade was a tad better today, or maybe it's just that ARKO magic
Lather: ARKO stick
Brush: Omega small boar

Have a wonderful July!!

PXL_20220701_142423513_2.jpg

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Sharp Dressed Man Soap, Stirling Unscented pre shave soap
Razor: Timeless Ti .68SB with Crown Handle
Blade: Gillette Platinum (1)
Soap: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
Bowl: Doug Smith Suribachi Shaving Bowl
Brush: AP Shave Co Rainbow Stripe Handle 26mm G5A Knot
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Stirling Sharp Dressed Man EDT
Rating: 10/10 Three pass BBS shave with no touch ups. No weepers, cuts or irritation. Excellent efficient Shave. Felt some minor irritation prior to cold water rinse not sure if soap or razor/new blade. Will see what tomorrow brings.

Today was an excellent shave with my Timeless Ti .95 mm Open comb with a new Perma Sharp blade. First time to try a Perma Sharp and I was very pleased. As Sharp as a Feather with a bit more smoothness, at least on my mug! YMMV of course…… The judge is awarding a 10 today.
• Timeless Ti .95 Open comb.
• Perma Sharp blade, new.
• TOBS Sandalwood.
• Bar of olive oil soap for preshave.
• Captains Copper Choice Bowl.
• Proraso after shave for back of neck.
• Proraso after shave balm for face.
• Omega boar.

Attachments

• AA79940F-FBA1-4795-8F55-802A4E891C0B.jpeg
    AA79940F-FBA1-4795-8F55-802A4E891C0B.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 11