What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Brush: Rudy Vey 2022 Contributors brush w/ 24mm DG B14 knot
Blade: Feather (2)
Soap: Ethos Vanilla Safi
Razor: Ti bird
Post Shave: Ethos Tonka Bean skin food splash

346C8E76-B037-46FF-8F1D-0BB3F91BEC20.jpeg

RAZOR Merkur Progress (3 pass @ 2-2-2)
BLADE Voskhod (6)
BRUSH Simpson Trafalgar T2
SOAP Stirling Sandpiper
AFTERSHAVE Aqua Velva

First shave with the Sandpiper sample. Really like this scent. Subtle, clean, and refined. The wife loved it too. Might need the full pick and AS. Voskhod worked well for me this week. Happy with the shaves.

9.5/10 Cheers

7DAEFB48-EFF1-4346-93C0-0B5D1D6CBC2C.jpeg

tempImageAAiXxt.jpg

Brush: 26mm SynBad
Lather: Stirling Eucalyptus Mint -- my, is this soap refreshing!
Blade: Persona Lab Blue (1)
Razor: Gillette New Short Comb

Amazing, had an unexpectedly great shave from the New SC. Another 2.5 pass shave (down from my usual four passes as of about a week ago) and so, so comfortable. DFS to BBS results, no injuries, irritation, or post-shave sensitivity. A 10/10, no question. I had been considering getting a backup New SC for a while, and after this shave, I pulled the trigger! Have a great weekend all.

Sat 2 SOTD
Soap RazoRock Puros
Brush Yaqi 24mm Sagrada Familia
Razor Joseph Elliott 13/16
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel MitA + RazoRock Puros Splash
Lovely tobacco-scented soap with good enough lather qualities...
An excellent razor for today's shave. Finally, a no-working weekend means not being in a hurry translating to a better finish. The matching aftershave amplifies the lovely aromatic scent...rating 9.4
20220702_115246.jpg

Razorine flatboy on RR UFO handle
Treet 7 Days platinum (3)
PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum
Stirling dunshire (not the best match with the soap)

Aaahhh, this soap smells and performs wonderfully. The Flatboy is great, the blade is cheap and smooth. It doesn't get much better than this morning's shave. A matching as would have really been the icing on the cake.
april_2022-07-02-09-43-37-622.jpg

Today's shave

IMG_3903.JPG

Merkur 39c Sledgehammer with the Personna Red Israeli blade
GFT Almond shaving cream applied with the Super Badger brush
GFT Sandalwood skin food and the alum block.
WX pass on face and WA on neck.

The Personna Red blade performed identically to the Nacet (my reference blade). Couldn't find any noticeable difference in terms of sharpness or comfort. One thing I do dislike about the Personna blades is the plastic packaging, which is a bit of a waste in environmental terms.

The GFT Almond cream is one of the finest creams I have ever used. It is very slick, smooth and comfortable; so much that I barely felt the blade on my skin. Really impressed with it. Plus the almond smell isn't as overpowering as I thought it would be. My Super Badger brush is a MASSIVE step up from my old synthetic brush, it generated a far better lather and it lifted the hair much more efficiently.

The shave was really that good for a two pass. Due to the far better lifting action of the SB brush, I didn't feel the need to do a third pass. I was more than happy with the DFS results from the two passes. I will try doing a third passing for my next shave as I get used to the SB brush. Overall I am really pleased with todays results and the Persona blade certainly gets my vote (if only they would use card packaging instead of plastic packaging...)

Score:

Blade comfort: 10/10
Blade sharpness: 10/10
Cream quality:10/10
Shave quality: 9/10

Overall score: 9/10

Final thoughts:

None that I can think of, given how good today's shave was for a two pass. Also do you like my new sink unit in the pic?

Jason.

Saturday morning. Continuing my attempt to use more replaceable blades and to let some other things I’ve accumulated over the past two years out to play, I’ve adopted what’s looking like a 3-2-2 pattern (straight-shavette-DE/SE) for each week. There’s nothing spectacular in the drawer yet, and you’ll have seen most of the models here before from other people - mainly since that’s where I saw them and thought “I wouldn’t mind a go of that”. I’m going through at least one Astra SP (or Feather Professional for 50mm, Tondeo TSS3 for 65mm) on each as a reference before I start mixing things up with the blades, but I can see that’s a whole new rabbit hole to fall down.

Karve Christopher Bradley brass, widebody cap, D plate, 3.25" handle + Astra SP
Semogue 610 (black) "Hereditas" boar brush
Tabac soap
Marks and Spencer "Woodspice" (Amber) aftershave

Too obvious, I know - anyone who’s been paying attention on here would have wanted to give one of these a try. It's not even the first one I've seen today. Don’t expect anything better for the next few weeks - there are going to be a lot of "yeah, of course..." moments.

I like it. There's enough presence and substance to it that I can resist the temptation I get with lighter DEs to charge around the face like a madman and I get to have a proper shave. It has heft. The D plate seems to be something of a sweet spot from what I've read, though I'd be dishonest if I didn't say I was tempted by letters further into the alphabet.

A Semogue boar and the Tabac glass bowl were always going to be good, and the aftershave combines a good smell with high street availability. It's getting a "10".

02 July 2022
1656762092516.jpeg

Prep
Old Spice bar soap (in bowl with white cap)
Razor
King C. Gillette
Brush
Omega---11126
Soap
Cattie’s Bubbles – Forked River, New Jersey
Bowl
Q Shave Scuttle
Blade
Shark Yellow Super Stainless 1 of 10 Shave #2
Passes
WTG, XTG and then buffing as required
Cleanup
Rinsed & dried face f/b Witch Haze f/b Omega Alum stick
Aftershave
Old Spice (now in small travel bottle)
Rating(s)
10.0 BBS
Today
Minor stubble, no nicks or weepers
Comment(s)
A fantastic BBS shave to start off the day with. Despite starting with a thick beard, the shave left only token stubble. Looking forward to a relax and ‘veg’ day.

Friday 7/1
Razor:
RazoRock Lupo .58
Blade: Astra SP (4)
Brush: Rockwell Razors Synthetic
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper Bowl
Soap: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Unscented
A/S: Dickinson's Witch Hazel & CeraVe Moisturizing Cream

Result: 9/10 DFS. Smooth and comfortable... again!

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Sharp Dressed Man Bath Soap
Razor: Timeless Ti .68SB with Crown Handle
Blade: Gillette Platinum (2)
Soap: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
Bowl: N/A
Brush: Paul Trotter Northeast Ice Handle 26mm G5A Knot
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Stirling Sharp Dressed Man EDT
Rating: 10/10 Three pass BBS shave with one touch up. No weepers, cuts or irritation. Excellent efficient Shave. Felt some minor irritation again prior to cold water rinse thinking it may be the razor. Tried face lathering today and wasn't bad, but I miss the bowl.

Last edited:
• Timeless Ti .95mm scalloped bar polished.
• New Treet Carbon Steel black blade.
• Captain’s Choice Bowl.
• Olive Oil bar soap preshave.
• Shave Nation Finest Badger.
• TOBS Grapefruit Shaving Cream.
• Thayers Witch Hazel.
• GFT extract of limes lotion.

Today I wanted to use my Timeless Ti scalloped bar with a new blade for me. The Treet Carbon Steel black blades. I must admit I experienced a very smooth and clean shave with a WTG, XTG, and a third pass ATG on the cheeks. I ordered a sample pack of them along with some Perma Sharps to give them a try. So far, so good with the first shave. The judge awarded a 9 today based on user error for too much water in the lather. The shave itself was excellent nonetheless. Have a great weekend Ladies and Gentlemen.

Attachments

• 3225A177-A55B-4B31-90A1-6B60988AFDC8.jpeg
    3225A177-A55B-4B31-90A1-6B60988AFDC8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
@JasonJT that bathroom renovation looks great; may you have many years of wonderful shaves!

Saturday July 2nd, traveling shave #50; still in Brooklyn; a pleasant, quick two-pass effort using some Cremo I found under the counter that resulted in a CCS, 8/10, no nicks, no irritation- as per usual:

Razor: Simple Clean Shave-Model A
Blade: Rapira (3)- I think I'll swap it out for tomorrow; this blade is not top-tier for me, but useable
Brush: none today
Lather: Cremo Original- I suppose I can say it works okay, but not a lot of fun using it
Post: an healthy splash of Dickenson's WH, some Pierre Cardin talc, as it's very humid here today

Have a wonderful Independence Day, July 4th weekend for those celebrating! And for all others, enjoy your weekend too.

PXL_20220702_140548098.jpg

Top Bottom