What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Razor: Sennari
Brush: Semogue boar
Soap: MdC Original

Lovely! Happy Canada Day!
2D490273-B256-4384-8E12-57D2042D279E.jpeg

linty1

My wallet cries.
F792EA5F-0FC0-4EAC-ABB3-E3392BC27C13.jpeg

Hawk 2/kai mild/Duke 3 best/pereira shave bowl/dettol

Shaved prob a day earlier than when I needed to, but oh well, had some time and felt the urge. On a bit of an ac razor kick recently and this is my third/last ac razor. although the price on these is lovely, its my least fav of all the ac rzors. Still a fairly close shave on a tranquille Fri,

20220630_075217.jpg

Razor: Schick L8 Golden Schick injector razor
Blade: Personna Injector
Brush: Simpson Commodore X2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Shannon's Soaps Barbershop
Aftershave: Proraso Green Splash
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating Ten.

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Hawkins and Brimble Face Wash
- Jack Black Face Buff Scrub
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave oil
- Fine Accoutrements American Blend Classic Shaving Soap

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Osma Alum Block
- The Goodfellas Smile Witch Hazel and Cucumber Facial Toner
- Hylamide Skin Serums
- Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet Aftershave Balm
- Jack Black Double-Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- Feather AS-D2
- BIC Chrome Platinum (1)
- Omega Jade (011842)
- Steve Woodhead Pottery Suribachi Lather Scuttle

Fragrance for the day
- Davidoff Cool Water Celebration Edition EDT

Shave Rating: 9/10
My first shave with this razor and blade combination and a very nice shave. Not quite as close a shave as a fresh Feather blade in this razor but still pretty good!
It was also the final shave with Fine Accoutrements American Blend in my current rotation and it provided an excellent lather as usual. I'll be replacing it with Osma Laboratories Tradition soap which I've heard good things about.

F14AA6D6-B6B0-431C-A24B-357F8B35372E.jpeg
07/01/22

Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper
Brush: Omega Evo
Soap: Martin de Candre Vetyver
Razor: Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB / Rosseforp GTS handle
Blade: Vintage Gillette “Spoiler” (12)
Splash: Cattie’s Bubbles Un Jour Gris
Balm: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream
Rating DFS+ 9.8

I am again surprised how good these blades are. So sharp and yet so smooth on it’s 12th shave. I’m pretty sure this is my first shave with them in the WR2. What a combo. This is as close a shave as I have had with the 1.25 I think. I achieved this level of closeness with the 1.15 once. This is the second go with the 19.2 g GTS handle. What a dream team today was. Even the brush and software. Shaves like this make me wonder why I don’t shave more often.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Fri 1st SOTD
Soap Smoking Monster Palace of Bliss
Brush BOTI 26mm Fan Silvertip
Razor Wade & Butcher 13/16 Wedge
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel Orange Chill + Clubman Whiskey Woods
Nice enough soap...lightly scented, creamy and slick but unfortunately the lather machine is down for maintenance...hence no ice cream 😕😅😆
Always enjoy using this razor for the heft and feel. 3passes for a sas result without any issues. My favorite Clubman aftershave smells great & the longest lasting! Rating 9/10
View attachment 1481100
Looks like it must have been a hot day. 🌞 Ice cream melted in the sun. 😎

La Toja shaving cream
Omega 10049 boar brush
1965 Gillette Super Speed razor
Schick Super Stainless Steel razor blade (8)
Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve aftershave

Did the two and three, two pass on the face (WTG, XTG) and three passes on the neck (N-S, S-N, ATG). Very smooth, pert near perfect, so I’ll give it a 9.9/10.

60D4C3DA-14C6-4836-9255-3DB5F14631C6.jpeg

Pre: cold shower
Razor: Roedter 1909
Blade: Astra SP
Soap: A&E Vacanza Romana
Brush: Proraso Omega

Rate: 10+

To celebrate finishing my first complete GRUME and the start of my holiday, I finally unpacked the notorious Roedter 1909. Many consider it the most aggressive DE razor ever.
Though some mock it as a Fatip design fault, others claim it was designed exactly the way it is.
i think this razor is both beautiful and worthy of its reputation. As far as I am concerned, this would be the razor to crave for those who adore aggressive razors.
The shave was perfect, both beard and head. I have some vintage bakelites with huge blade exposure and gap, almost turning them into a blade on a stick. The Roedter 1909 has neither, but still produced one of the best shaves so far for me.
Despite its fearsome reputation, the Roedter 1909 feels and looks feminine, rather than the brutish masculine impression one would expect.
And I must say this beauty needs to be treated like a high heeled vamp. The Roedter demands respect, a silk touch and no pressure. Treat her right and you will feel like a king on top of the world when she has given you the best she has to offer.
Truly, a magnificent DE razor ❤️

89F99DED-B8A1-4726-AE55-5FD6D3DDEDA8.jpeg

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Razor: Made in England Gillette Tech
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Brush: Zenith aluminum boar, 27mm
Soap: Stirling Varen
Aftershave: Pre de Provence
Growth: 24 hours
Passes: WTG, ATG, cleanup
Rating: 9/10

This battle-scarred 75-year-old razor provides a magnificent shave and a connection with the past. I acquired it online from a shop in British Columbia. The story of its journey is lost. So I crafted one. I envision that a Royal Canadian Air Force pilot survived the war and picked up this razor in Paris before returning home. He settled in the Pacific Northwest, worked in the timber industry, married, raised beautiful children, lived well, loved well, and shaved well.

This extraordinary English Tech continues to deliver near-perfect shaves. Perhaps one day, a B&B brother will again discover this Tech in a resale shop and craft a new story where its journey includes a far better version of me...
16EBE83E-8ECB-42FE-8184-2384DF8FF359.jpeg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
The story of its journey is lost. So I crafted one.

Nicely crafted.

I usually tell myself stories whenever I walk through cobwebs in the dark. My brain has the default story “ALIENS! Prepare to be inverted!,” so I have to calm myself down with an “it’s probably an escaped lunatic sizing me up in the dark as a potential meal, but the residual scent of ARKO! protects me. …Still, I must karate chop in that direction and then whistle the Old Spice theme as I don’t live alone”

A Portuguese Shave

As I live in Portugal it's easy to get some grooming things produced over here.
In the last years there's new stuff comming out of the portuguese factories. And not only shaving things, but also soaps, creams and fragances.
There's also a preoccupation of rehabilitating things from the past. Which I find notable.

Pre Shave: Musgo Real Classic Scent Pre Shave Oil (Portugal) - that's good stuff to prepare face skin for shaving and put another protective coat between skin and blade.

Soap: Musgo Real Black Edition (Portugal). It's the first time I try this tube cream.
Makes plenty of leather, thick and sticky. Smells good and gives a freshness feeling. Most important I'm not allergic to it. For a moment I thought it would come out a black cream from the tube. But no. Only wishful thinking. It's white as snow.

Bowl: Antiga Barbearia do Bairro (Portugal) - my routine everyday shaving bowl. There's a tradition here of producing earthenware, porcelain and tiles with great quality, tradition and originality.

Brush: SOC Semogue Mistura Finest Butterscotch 24mm knot (Portugal) - this is a good quality Brush. 50/50 boar and badger. Excellent equilibrium between backbone and softness. It's a long process to break in this guy. Yet when done it'll compensate you.

Blade: Rickiparodi New Platinum (Portugal).
Have you ever heard of?
They are produced in Oporto by a company who fabricates professional barbershop and hairdresser objects.
I discovered these DE blades out of pure luck. And I looked many times to the small 10 pack 1.40 Euros thinking "I have to give them a try" before I actually did.
Once you open the package you notice that they come double wrapped. As you see in the pics. That surprised me, positively.
This fresh blade gave me the impression I was shaving with a Derby. Yet a bit more sharp. That pleased me. Not bad at all. I got a clean close bbs shave. Which is a good foreshadow for a newcomer. Specially when I had a three days beard.

Safety Razor: Drogaria de S. Domingos (Germany, Italy, Portugal?)
I bought this razor in the drugstore which bears this name and is the razor distributor. And its name is engraved, stamped in one of the lids. The girl, there, who sold me the SR told me this was made out of "german steel". Another one in another shop had the same model and told me it was of " Italian steel". So I really don't know who produced it. And I'd appreciate that someone knows its country of origin.
" Drogaria S. Domingos" is a vintage shop which is amazing to drop in, because of the amount of things that sells. It's an historical shop in Lisbon downtown and as also a good stock of shaving related items, so I am an habitual costumer. Just love the incredible amount of smells and things hanging over there.

Now, about this razor. It is solidly built. The head is out of brass. The butterfly opening works just fine, commanded by a very well machined ring on top of the handle. Yet the base plate scores some vents who look not perfectly machined, for while draining good, the holes are not perfectly edged.
The handle is made out of steel no doubt, its weight doesn't lie.
This gives the razor the necessary balance to put the weight on the head, which will do the work without having to press. Right. The blade lies correctly on its bed, curved and sticking out in a gap I don't know the measure of.
It shaves well. It's in the medium agressive side, which is nice for me. One can feel the blade and the feedback.
Yet this is definitely not a razor for a newbie. I could feel that I could cut myself very easily if I'd put pressure on the head or get careless.

Aftershave: 444 Alum-Block - a high quality alum block (Portugal)

Aftershave Splash: Musgo Real Classic Scent (Portugal)- it smells good all times.

Classification: 9/10 (a small nick, from a pimple)

P.S. In those pics I edited there's one building of many, in my street, covered with tiles. Some facades are incredible. Yet more incredible is the colour of the sky. Amazing Blue I would call it.

Attachments

• 20220701_143933.jpg
    20220701_143933.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • 20220701_144007.jpg
    20220701_144007.jpg
    873.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220701_144105.jpg
    20220701_144105.jpg
    885.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220701_144131.jpg
    20220701_144131.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 20220701_144244.jpg
    20220701_144244.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • 20220701_144423.jpg
    20220701_144423.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • 20220701_144449.jpg
    20220701_144449.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 20220701_144513.jpg
    20220701_144513.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • 20220701_155852.jpg
    20220701_155852.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
SOTD
Razor: Blackbird Ti
Blade: Feather
Soap: Zingari Man Wanderer
Brush: Trotter Handcrafts Chrysalis
Bowl: Captains Choice Copper
AS: Zingari Man Wanderer

2B1A46AA-7E16-451A-B587-2B82C6AC9745.jpeg

10/10 today! Outstanding shave!
I haven’t used a Feather blade in about 4 years and man am I glad I slapped one into this razor today. Outstanding results and I have to say I was inspired by @SgtCrppls shave yesterday to give this blade a go in the Blackbird Ti not sure I would have thought to try it.

Happy Canada Day to any Hosers out there 🇨🇦

Have a great holiday weekend everyone!

My Friday Morning Shave
Prep: Warm shower, two days growth​
Strop: Tony Miller Premium Steerhide Smooth w/ Linen​
One pass shave: WTG​
Razor: Wade & Butcher Sheffield 11/16 Wedge​
Pre-Shave: None
Brush: Elite Razor Poplar with 24 mm Plisson​
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap w/ Ceramic Bowl​
Facial Toner: Thayers Alcohol-Free Original Witch Hazel Facial Toner with Aloe Vera Formula​
Aftershave: Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm​
9.9/10! DFS!

7/1/22

5 day knockdown!

Pre shave: Proraso pre shave cream green.
Brush: PAA Amber Aerolite 24mm synthetic brush.
Soap/cream: Stirling MITA Glacial.
Razor: PAA Ascension Select DOC.
Blade: Gillette Perma-Sharp(1).
3 passes WTG(buffing), XTG, ATG and some buffing.

Post shave: Gentleman Jon Alum block, Stirling MITA aftershave balm, Stirling MITA Glacial splash.

8/10 shave today. Not a true BBS but a nice DFS for sure. I nicked myself in 3 spots. Left side of lip, left side of neck and right side of chin. I probably should have went with a half turn or 1/4 turn at least with the amount of hair I had. But hindsight is always 20/20! The alum and splash cleaned up the nicks and now I'm left with a freezing *** cold face🥶 that is nice and shaved.😁

Happy shaves gents! And have a great Independence Day weekend 🇺🇲🎇

Afternoon shave

Hot wet wash cloth applied to the face for a few minutes
Hot water splash pre-shave
Cella Crema Da Barba shave soap
Simpson Trafalgar T3 Synthetic brush
Karve Christopher Bradley brass razor w/D plate
Wizamet Super Iridium blade
Aqua Velva after shave

This was a three pass shave, WTG, XTG, ATG. Unlike the last shave with the same razor and blade, this shave was not as smooth. No weepers, no nicks, no cuts. I had to buff quite a bit to get the results I wanted, so that led to a little irritation on the neck. I'm really baffled why it didn't turn out as well this time around. The lather was a little thicker today which might have prevented the closeness I normally get. This was the second shave with this blade, so it should have delivered the same or better quality shave as last time. The only real difference is the slight irritation. The overall shave was quite good, just not as nice and smooth as last time.

Anyway, I rate this shave 8.5/10

Last edited:
Today was an excellent shave with my Timeless Ti .95 mm Open comb with a new Perma Sharp blade. First time to try a Perma Sharp and I was very pleased. As Sharp as a Feather with a bit more smoothness, at least on my mug! YMMV of course…… The judge is awarding a 10 today.
• Timeless Ti .95 Open comb.
• Perma Sharp blade, new.
• TOBS Sandalwood.
• Bar of olive oil soap for preshave.
• Captains Copper Choice Bowl.
• Proraso after shave for back of neck.
• Proraso after shave balm for face.
• Omega boar.
My apologies for the mistake in identifying my shaving bowl in todays shave as the Captain’s Choice Copper, as it is supposed to read the Captain’s Choice Starry Night Seaworthy bowl. I use both and they are excellent lather bowls!

Attachments

• 1544AF86-8FE5-45FB-940F-CBDE8F5BEA9B.jpeg
    1544AF86-8FE5-45FB-940F-CBDE8F5BEA9B.jpeg
    920 KB · Views: 2
  • 3AFDEB10-C661-4D3F-BFF0-74C1CC7997C3.jpeg
    3AFDEB10-C661-4D3F-BFF0-74C1CC7997C3.jpeg
    945.6 KB · Views: 2
Top Bottom