What's new

MdC, Wow!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I did, when I ordered from the Factory they sent me 3 samples. Scent was great. As for the virtues, I dont use bath soap to wash my face so I mostly enjoyed the matching great scent

With all due respect for the subject of this thread and participants, I am wondering if anyone would compare the shaving characteristics and economics of McD to Saponificio Varisino. They appear to be in the same soap niche.

(Un)luckily, I'm "nose blind;" I'm scentsless.
The shaves are fairly similar - my two top soaps. SV did not hold up to my scuttle heat (hot tap water), but is a simply wonderful face lathering soap.

The economics are starkly different. I can't remember the exact numbers from a longevity test I did last year, but MdC runs me around $45 a year for daily shaves (but I do buy them 2 at a time, which must help with shipping), while SV runs me about $130 a year for daily shaves.

But the quality of SV justifies the purchase for me, although I don't have it constantly in the rotation.

I just have to jump on the MDC Bandwagon.
I find a slight bloom and 10 seconds worth of swirling gets me all I could want in a shave.
I have some great soaps in my rotation but they don't last very long. Softer soaps that have a great face feel from conditioners and such. I have so much soap right now that I'm trying to work through it so I can buy a few jars of MDC and be done playing with soaps.
I may have to sell some as it's going to be a long time to use it all.

MDC is great! Sure the cost is high, but it lasts soooo loooong.

Has anyone tried MdC bath soaps?
I have. I find them drying and they cause itching for my sensitive skin even though I use an oil to moisturize after the shower. In all fairness, I have this problem with most soaps. I only recently came across a shower gel that doesn’t do this to my skin.

I have also gifted them to several people and got positive feedback.

FWIW, the bath soap version of MWF has become our standard soap in the shower. Mrs. Herrenberg loves it too. It's not expensive. It's creamy and awesome. It's hard to imagine ever finding something better.

MdC is 10-12 cents per shave. SV is 18-20. If scents don't matter, check out Canada soap. It's made the same as MdC, if you decide on SV get the SO decide on the scent. Order the sample pack direct from SV USA.
Can you post a link to the sample pack? I’m not able to find it.

I've been using only MdC this past week or so and find a pea size bit smeared thinly over the bottom of a bowl gives a wonderful lather, even in my hard water. I know loads say it is long lasting, but think it may last 2 years! Well maybe a bit less!! Don't want to over exaggerate.

There is no way that this stuff is expensive in the long run. For me, it was not possible to understand this fact until I owned and used the stuff.

I just have to jump on the MDC Bandwagon.
I find a slight bloom and 10 seconds worth of swirling gets me all I could want in a shave.
I have some great soaps in my rotation but they don't last very long. Softer soaps that have a great face feel from conditioners and such. I have so much soap right now that I'm trying to work through it so I can buy a few jars of MDC and be done playing with soaps.
I may have to sell some as it's going to be a long time to use it all.

MDC is great! Sure the cost is high, but it lasts soooo loooong.
That's exactly what happened to me. I got tired of chasing the latest and greatest and just decided to use up or dump everything except MdC and SV. I didn't have a ton of other soaps, maybe 10. I finished a couple of them and pitched the remainder. Now all I have is 4 flavors of MdC and 6 of SV. Should last about 7-8 years.

tired of chasing the latest and greatest and just decided to use up
I might be a shaving newbie, but I'm a veteran of attacking hobbies with the greatest of buying/testing zeal. When new here, I had this plan of buying examples of three pricing tiers of soaps/creams/croaps, after which I'd (theoretically) select the few to run with.

Failed miserably in any limitations whatsoever, but now think I'm done RAD buying. Even if I stop purchases now, my Kids are still going to wonder at my demise ("coming to room temperature") if they are shaving soaps or a lifetime supply of shower/bath soaps.

With all due respect for the subject of this thread and participants, I am wondering if anyone would compare the shaving characteristics and economics of McD to Saponificio Varisino. They appear to be in the same soap niche.

(Un)luckily, I'm "nose blind;" I'm scentsless.
They are both nice soaps…which one is better…MDC…which one is the best MDC…the Vetyver. I have used all of them, and the Vetyver produces the nicest creamiest lather for me.

These were from todays shave with the MDC Vetyver!
1D2FC83C-A9C4-4B0B-878A-5EACE77C7ADC.jpeg
B81EF0C4-350C-41C3-B9CB-2BB844B4BACA.jpeg
86C75DA3-1B4E-4167-96C4-D763129D71C0.jpeg

MDC is great. I’ve owned all but Rose and Vetyver, and still own Fougere and Oroginal. I hope to try Rose someday

However, some gents are a little delusional on the long run costs, likely because they either rotate the soap with a dozen others.

MDC is not the most expensive soap if you load for 10 seconds with a synthetic brush or a wee Scot, but no soap will be expensive in that scenario.

At the end of the day you are paying $70 for a 200g of shaving soap that inevitably will lead to $0.20-0.35 per shave, which is on the upper range for me (eg: Castle Forbes and AdP fall within this range). Again, it’s not exorbitant and probably cheaper than most US artisans, but it’s not cheap when you compare to other great soaps like Cella, MWF, Tabac, Speick, Haslinger, … all of which run at <$0.10 per shave

Last edited:
A tub of MdC is unlikely to result in you needing to eat the cat food in your retirement. Just say no to that next tub of Ariana & Evans, Grooming Dept or Stirling, and reach for the MdC. If you don't like it, you can always send it to me for disposal.

Top Bottom