What's new

MdC, Wow!

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Oh nice! Glad it worked out for you.

I like watching the shave channels on YouTube, but when new guys see that it is possible to get “lather” from three swirls on top of the container…they think that’s the way to do it.

While possible to get something from doing that, it does not even come close to maximizing the potential of MDC. It leads to weak lather, that tends to be slightly more drying, and then folks relate their experience with it on the forums…and that becomes the accepted “truth.”

Vr

Matt

Yes sir, it needs a good loading and lots of water.

And yes, everything stays clean because there’s little residue.

A one-year supply of Barbasol is 4 * 9.99 = 39.96. I paid 17.13 more (43% more) for a one-year supply of MdC. To me MdC is worth the 17.13. And if I fall on hard times, I am willing to eat peanut butter and jelly for one week to make up the difference.

I've used my jar of MdC for about 25 shaves now. Looks like maybe 95% of the jar remains. I tried a tub of Grooming Dept soap not too long ago and it barely lasted 25 shaves. So it cost 1/2 the price but only delivered a small percentage of the shaves. Not to mention I greatly prefer the MdC.

Last edited:
My only jar of MDC is Vetiver. I have mixed feelings about it. It's makes really nice lather. But the fragrance is both one-dimensional compared to SV's nuanced take on Vetiver, and on the strong side. Kind of overbearing. Is there a milder choice of fragrance in the MDC line?

My only jar of MDC is Vetiver. I have mixed feelings about it. It's makes really nice lather. But the fragrance is both one-dimensional compared to SV's nuanced take on Vetiver, and on the strong side. Kind of overbearing. Is there a milder choice of fragrance in the MDC line?
If you leave the jar open the scent will weaken within a few days.

The original and fougere are both on the milder side to me

With all due respect for the subject of this thread and participants, I am wondering if anyone would compare the shaving characteristics and economics of McD to Saponificio Varisino. They appear to be in the same soap niche.

(Un)luckily, I'm "nose blind;" I'm scentsless.

Last edited:
With all due respect for the subject of this thread and participants, I am wondering if anyone would compare the shaving characteristics and economics of McD to Saponificio Varisino. They appear to be in the same soap niche.

(Un)luckily, I'm "nose blind," so scents don't matter.
Can't help with the economics. Both seem to last a really, really long time, enough to make the price much less of a sting.

As for shaving characteristics, both make excellent lather with good slickness. They're both a pleasure to shave with. But MdC is just a bit drying afterwards, so I give the edge to SV.

(Un)luckily, I'm "nose blind," so scents don't matter.
MdC is 10-12 cents per shave. SV is 18-20. If scents don't matter, check out Canada soap. It's made the same as MdC, if you decide on SV get the SO decide on the scent. Order the sample pack direct from SV USA.

Well, apparently, timing is everything.

SV 2 day sale ends this Friday, 25% discount.

Thank you for the above replies to my questions!
I don't know how you got the notification before I did, but thank you for posting it. I was able to grab the one set that I wanted to add and some extra bath soaps. That is too good to pass up!

I don't know how you got the notification before I did, but thank you for posting it. I was able to grab the one set that I wanted to add and some extra bath soaps. That is too good to pass up!
Literally received notice minutes before posting here.

What did you order? This will be my first SV; thinking shaving soaps, Anniversary and Manna di Sicilia or Tundra Artica.

Your opinion?

Literally received notice minutes before posting here.

What did you order? This will be my first SV; thinking shaving soaps, Anniversary and Manna di Sicilia or Tundra Artica.

Your opinion?
I have at least half of the scents. 😬

I grabbed Desert Vetiver, I have the bath soap already and it was on the buy list for early summer. Tundra Artica is absolutely fabulous, might be my favourite. Anniversary is a take on the traditional Colonia scent that I use for months straight in the summer. Some would say these are all Colonia scents and some less than charitable things about the scents... probably better not over stay our welcome. :)

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
A one-year supply of Barbasol is 4 * 9.99 = 39.96. I paid 17.13 more (43% more) for a one-year supply of MdC. To me MdC is worth the 17.13. And if I fall on hard times, I am willing to eat peanut butter and jelly for one week to make up the difference.
In the US, Barbasol is $1.49 - $2.99. Even so, I'd spring fro the MdC.

A lovely soap,but please don't skimp on loading otherwise you will be disappointed. I mean, I've seen suggestions of three or four swirls. This is hopeless in my hard water. However, a little more results in a thick creamy lather. One way I like is spread a large pea size bit and swear it inn the bottom of a bowl or mug. These samples people have would work very well this way.

Top Bottom