What's new

MdC, Wow!

I’m thinking of the MdC “Brain Bowl” in original smart move over the jar?
I have always wanted to pull the trigger on one of those since they switched the jars to plastic. The problem is having room for it and the obvious, it is open to the environment. I had thought about keeping it on a shelf under my sink, but still haven't done it. I wold love to hear how it goes for you, if you do...

I see a lot of folks questioning how long to load…

If you’re going for a three pass and are using a badger, I’d suggest loading it until a lather starts to show. With a boar, slightly longer.

I have always wanted to pull the trigger on one of those since they switched the jars to plastic. The problem is having room for it and the obvious, it is open to the environment. I had thought about keeping it on a shelf under my sink, but still haven't done it. I wold love to hear how it goes for you, if you do...
I have one (natural) for 6 months now, no problem. It is still soft and lathers great.

I just (sadly) finished my last (glass) jar of MdC. I received two full jars and a small sample jar probably 10 years ago. By way of rotation with other soaps, my MdC soaps never once lost their fragrance or fine lathering qualities in 10 years. After use, I would always screw the lid back on and place it in my shave area with absolutely no issues.

I have other soaps that I am currently using (Stirling, MWF) and I can't justify another MdC purchase at the moment. Probably because if I bought one, I would buy three and never outlive my purchases.

Shop with confidence, you will never regret an MdC purchase. It is hands down in my humble opinion, the VERY BEST shave soap for straight razor shaving. But that is only my opinion (let's not start a war here! LOL)

I just (sadly) finished my last (glass) jar of MdC. I received two full jars and a small sample jar probably 10 years ago. By way of rotation with other soaps, my MdC soaps never once lost their fragrance or fine lathering qualities in 10 years. After use, I would always screw the lid back on and place it in my shave area with absolutely no issues.

I have other soaps that I am currently using (Stirling, MWF) and I can't justify another MdC purchase at the moment. Probably because if I bought one, I would buy three and never outlive my purchases.

Shop with confidence, you will never regret an MdC purchase. It is hands down in my humble opinion, the VERY BEST shave soap for straight razor shaving. But that is only my opinion (let's not start a war here! LOL)
I can tell you just in case you can’t resist the urge to purchase MDC again that you should make your purchase from one of the known vendors in Spain. Elect to pay in euros instead of dollars. The euro is very weak now so you will save a lot of money verses buying MDC in the USA. If you spend enough the shipping is free. Even paying shipping you‘ll still save. I just went through this exercise 1 month ago. The packages arrived fairly quickly too.

I have a question for those who use MdC Natural. Basically, I have a dozen bottles of aftershave that are anywhere between half and completely full that I want to get through - mostly WSP and Myrsol scents. I'm looking for a soap that will a) last a long time and b) have a fairly neutral scent. I thought about MdC Natural, but I've read that it is slightly scented. Can anyone describe the scent? I'm hoping it's something akin to MWS, which just kinda has a pleasant "soap" smell.

I have a jar of MdC Original and like the lather, etc., but it's too laverand-y for me. I'll probably put it up on BST this weekend and try to plow the cash into something more lightly scented.

I have a question for those who use MdC Natural. Basically, I have a dozen bottles of aftershave that are anywhere between half and completely full that I want to get through - mostly WSP and Myrsol scents. I'm looking for a soap that will a) last a long time and b) have a fairly neutral scent. I thought about MdC Natural, but I've read that it is slightly scented. Can anyone describe the scent? I'm hoping it's something akin to MWS, which just kinda has a pleasant "soap" smell.

I have a jar of MdC Original and like the lather, etc., but it's too laverand-y for me. I'll probably put it up on BST this weekend and try to plow the cash into something more lightly scented.
It is not scented. You only smell the natural soap scent (marseille soap). I have the brain bowl, and the soap scent was gone after a little while. Now I smell nothing.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!

Leave the lid off, it won’t be too strong after 2-4 weeks. Or just get an ‘original’ ‘brain bowl’.

Last edited:
I took a few shaves off of MdC Fougére to compare the Stirling Sheep it replaced.

Today, I went back to the MdC. It's still my favorite, by far. Both the lather and the scent.

I took a few shaves off of MdC Fougére to compare the Stirling Sheep it replaced.

Today, I went back to the MdC. It's still my favorite, by far. Both the lather and the scent.

As much as I love my MdC, my boars do like Stirling's mutton tallow base, with Scots Pine Sheep being a favorite. I actually mix 3 parts Scots Pine Sheep with 1 part Orange Chill (beef tallow based). The combo is pretty killer.

As much as I love my MdC, my boars do like Stirling's mutton tallow base, with Scots Pine Sheep being a favorite. I actually mix 3 parts Scots Pine Sheep with 1 part Orange Chill (beef tallow based). The combo is pretty killer.

Which boars do you have that prefer it?

This particular shave was with my Zenith B33, so maybe different boars for different chores?

Which boars do you have that prefer it?

This particular shave was with my Zenith B33, so maybe different boars for different chores?

OK, here we go. My current favorites are:
  1. Semogue 2000. A tad on the large side, but I love the handle shape and the bristles (a blend of premium 90% tops and super 70%).
  2. Semogue 1305. I would prefer the handle not be painted and I am not a fan of dyed boar, but I love the bristles (premium 90% tops).
  3. Semogue SOC Mistura. Takes a while to break in, but I love the mixture of premium boar and 2-band finest badger bristles.
Seems like there is a pattern here: Semogue premium bristles :).

I only wish that Semogue made a 22 mm version of the model 2000.

I can tell you just in case you can’t resist the urge to purchase MDC again that you should make your purchase from one of the known vendors in Spain. Elect to pay in euros instead of dollars. The euro is very weak now so you will save a lot of money verses buying MDC in the USA. If you spend enough the shipping is free. Even paying shipping you‘ll still save. I just went through this exercise 1 month ago. The packages arrived fairly quickly too.
Well ..... I couldn't resist after all. The Brain Bowl arrived today. Looking forward to this afternoon's shave.

IMG_20220604_141705405.jpg

Thank you for the advice! I have been on and off the fence about buying MDC but the price has been really high. Using a very well known Spanish shaving goods entrepreneur, I saved $34 over Maggard's price for MDC Fougere and that is with shipping included.

Edit, It looks like I ordered a 50 gram tub instead of the 200 grams so not such a great deal after all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom