What's new

Do you ever decide to go from using an aggressive razor to a mild one?

Efficient and smooth.....I just don't like any mild razors.....if I do 2-3 passes and still have stubble left, it's a loss: wasted time.
But neither would I want no stubble and blood or burning..... Today I used a Fatip OC and RR 0.84OC....good stuff.
A good mild razor should not leave any stubble. You just have to find the right razor such as the Merkur 34.

The other way around for me. I shaved mild for a long time, but as my technique improved, I kept getting pulled to more and more aggressive razors. I'd guess this is a typical route for those who take up wet shaving.

I'm lucky in that I don't have sensitive skin or a heavy beard. Those two things open up a lot of options in the DE world.

That being said, the DSCosmetic Z-0 is plenty aggressive for me. I'm gonna keep it around for those days that feel "aggressive" to me. I like that little tingle of excitement that goes down the spine when I pull out this razor and lather up.

For me, aggressive razors are harsh and uncomfortable and I generally don't like such razors. I considered the term ''mild razor'' to be pleasant and comfortable and not necessarily inefficient. I prefer razors with medium and above medium efficiency, but I do use some of my not super efficient vintage razors from time to time.

My favorite razors are both very efficient and also as gentle as they can possibly be, since high efficiency usually comes at the cost of the razor being a bit too harsh and uncomfortable, but there are a few exceptions here and there that combine the best of both worlds into one razor.

However, I don't like extremely mild and inefficient razors like the Techs in general or the Rockwell 6S. It's not that I can't shave with them, but getting the desired results take way too much effort and time for me to the point of not having fun while shaving, which is why I sold my 6S and rarely use any of my Techs. I expect my Hybrid Tech to arrive by the end of this month and I do hope it's a bit more efficient than the other Techs.

I think it is in the eye of the beholder too. My favorite razor so far is the Fatip Piccolo Open Comb (so much so I bought another one last month) - said to be an aggressive razor, up there with the R41 (which in my mind - and I have never shaved with it, but purely based on what I see and read - is on the outer limits of aggressiveness. As in there is very aggressive and just beyond that is R41.

But the thing is I find the Fatip to be aggressive (as in efficient) but mild in terms of handling. It does come down to your technique with which a number of other gentlemen have helped me tremendously (specifically posts by @never-stop-learning and @AimlessWanderer have been instrumental in developing my skills together with the Four Pass Shave by @guenron) since acquiring the Fatip just over a month ago. Reduction during passes is what I am for. I have had discussions on effectiveness with two or even one pass, but comfort and avoiding irritation is higher on my list.

As always you mileage may vary.

Enjoy shaving!

Guido.

It seems most of the responds here do not want a razor too mild. More fun with the thrill of feeling the blade scrape across your face. Live life on the edge.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I think I was living plenty far on the edge when I was using an electric shaver, the skin redness was very noticeable, downright scarry infact. And while cartridge razors left me with less redness, I didn't even achieve a DFS shave, let alone a BBS shave with them!

The DE wet shaver, better living when you don't look like you just took a 100 slap beating to the face.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My ESC Claymore is easy to use (mild)... very efficient (aggressive?).... like Filudo said.... smooth and efficient. It is possible. The AC razors are easy for a newbie to learn to use. Can you cut yourself? sure.... you can do that with any cutting device.

I just wish more people would try one. I think you'd be surprised at how well they shave.... how nice they feel... Most of them have thin heads so shaving around your nose is easier.

Do a search here... Artist Club razors... check them out. See if one strikes your fancy....

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

My ESC Claymore is easy to use (mild)... very efficient (aggressive?).... like Filudo said.... smooth and efficient. It is possible. The AC razors are easy for a newbie to learn to use. Can you cut yourself? sure.... you can do that with any cutting device.

I just wish more people would try one. I think you'd be surprised at how well they shave.... how nice they feel... Most of them have thin heads so shaving around your nose is easier.

Do a search here... Artist Club razors... check them out. See if one strikes your fancy....

Well, I have actually seen a couple of video's with people shaving with a single edge razor, and they did seem to produce a smooth shave, so I cannot deny with what I see. Having said that however, single edge razor blades are much more expensive then DE blades, and there is less of a selection of them as well. For some of us, the initial cost of a razor itself is such a big hit, that we need to save money somewhere. So for me, I like and appreciate the low cost of DE blades.

Blade costs are actually the main thing that got me out of cartridge razor shaving! I switched to electric, because even though the shaving heads cost more around 50+ some dollars, your only having to replace the heads on them, maybe once every 2-years! Where with Gillette Mach 5 cart razors, you pay about 24-dollars for an 8 pack of blades! You spend easily 100-dollars or more per year on cart blades easily!

Once I got into and experienced DE wet shaving, I then realized, it wasn't just about the cost on blades I was saving, there was more to it. I was saving my skin from razor burn, and I was getting a higher quality shave as a result. Then once I upgraded my shaving regimen, I then was getting a warm facial massage on top of it all, because of my Captains Choice scuttle, providing me the warm lather I seek, on this long voyage to DE shaving.

So ya, I got into DE wet shaving because of the reduced blade costs, but in the end, I got so much more.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Well, I have actually seen a couple of video's with people shaving with a single edge razor, and they did seem to produce a smooth shave, so I cannot deny with what I see. Having said that however, single edge razor blades are much more expensive then DE blades, and there is less of a selection of them as well. For some of us, the initial cost of a razor itself is such a big hit, that we need to save money somewhere. So for me, I like and appreciate the low cost of DE blades.

Blade costs are actually the main thing that got me out of cartridge razor shaving! I switched to electric, because even though the shaving heads cost more around 50+ some dollars, your only having to replace the heads on them, maybe once every 2-years! Where with Gillette Mach 5 cart razors, you pay about 24-dollars for an 8 pack of blades! You spend easily 100-dollars or more per year on cart blades easily!

Once I got into and experienced DE wet shaving, I then realized, it wasn't just about the cost on blades I was saving, there was more to it. I was saving my skin from razor burn, and I was getting a higher quality shave as a result. Then once I upgraded my shaving regimen, I then was getting a warm facial massage on top of it all, because of my Captains Choice scuttle, providing me the warm lather I seek, on this long voyage to DE shaving.

So ya, I got into DE wet shaving because of the reduced blade costs, but in the end, I got so much more.
Chris,

I have spent enough money to get away from expensive cartridges from Gillette to buy enough Gillette cartridges for 23 years. ;)

Don't get me wrong. I love shaving now... it's worth it, to me, at least. But Gillette shaving is cheap compared to what I've spent since Feb. 15th. I just bought two new shaving brushes to the cost of ... let me use my calculator: roughly 12 to 18 months of Gillette cartridges, depending on the life of each cartridge for me.

You can buy a RazoRock Hawk V3 for $70.... sort of an entry level AC razor. Not my choice but lots of people get good results with them.

It's just that I see so many people struggling... they buy razor after razor... and i'm not talking about the inexpensive Gillette DE razors.... 2 $70 razors is the cost of the Claymore Evo.... 3 $70 razors get you a Blackland Vector....

But in the end... we're all on a journey.... there are lots of ways to enjoy it. I'm sorry I get so passionate about what I think it a very good way to approach things.

I do mean that... I can get carried away. I'll back off for a while... concentrate on finding the shaving brushes that work for me. ;)

Last edited:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Chris,

I have spent enough money to get away from expensive cartridges from Gillette to buy enough Gillette cartridges for 23 years. ;)

Don't get me wrong. I love shaving now... it's worth it, to me, at least. But Gillette shaving is cheap compared to what I've spent since Feb. 15th. I just bought two new shaving brushes to the cost of ... let me use my calculator: roughly 12 to 18 months of Gillette cartridges, depending on the life of each cartridge for me.

You can buy a RazoRock Hawk V3 for $70.... sort of an entry level AC razor. Not my choice but lots of people get good results with them.

It's just that I see so many people struggling... they buy razor after razor... and i'm not talking about the inexpensive Gillette DE razors.... 2 $70 razors is the cost of the Claymore Evo.... 3 $70 razors get you a Blackland Vector....

But in the end... we're all on a journey.... there are lots of ways to enjoy it. I'm sorry I get so passionate about what I think it a very good way to approach things.

I do mean that... I can get carried away. I'll back off for a while... concentrate on finding the shaving brushes that work for me. ;)

Its all relative isn't it?

I guess, if we were to tell a cart razor person, that we are saving money by buying DE razor blades.

And the cart razor guy says, "Well, what about all the razors, brushes, bowls, scuttles, soaps, creams, and aftershaves you bought, isn't that well over the cost of the stuff that I pay for?"

Then I will say, "Well, I reject your reality and substitute my own." :letterk1:

As long as we are happy, thats all that counts.

Honestly it depends on how much of a rush I am in during the morning. The faster I have to shave the milder the razor I like to use.

Switch off periodically between my moderate Weishi Long Handle and milder King C. Gillette. Just took a bit of practice to learn how to adjust technique for the two razors. Weishi is very efficient delivering two+ pass BBS shaves for me. King C. Gillette takes an extra pass for a similar result. Design of latter makes nicks very unlikely.

I use a combination of aggressive, medium, and mild razor for nearly every shave. I start off WTG with an aggressive razor, often an open comb for efficiency, to knock down the overall growth.
Then I use a moderately aggressive razor for the XTG pass.
Then I follow up with a slightly less aggressive razor for the ATG pass.
Finally, I use a very mild razor with a super sharp blade for my clean--up pass to catch any stray stubble missed by the earlier passes.
I can use a single razor for the entire shave, but I get better shaves (close with less irritation) when using the sequence noted.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I use a combination of aggressive, medium, and mild razor for nearly every shave. I start off WTG with an aggressive razor, often an open comb for efficiency, to knock down the overall growth.
Then I use a moderately aggressive razor for the XTG pass.
Then I follow up with a slightly less aggressive razor for the ATG pass.
Finally, I use a very mild razor with a super sharp blade for my clean--up pass to catch any stray stubble missed by the earlier passes.
I can use a single razor for the entire shave, but I get better shaves (close with less irritation) when using the sequence noted.

Hmm, I am thinking that you might enjoy a life change with an adjustable razor. This way you don't have to use multiple razors for a single shave.

I was on an aggressive kick for about a month. I got over it real quick. I started with a EJ DE89 I used it for a year. Than I tried a whole bunch of different razors. I thought I was going to be an aggressive razor shaver. I am not. I think I am a moderate aggression shaver. My favorite razors are the slim I like setting 7 but I usually use 6 and let my technique to get the results. I also like the Canadian prewar tech. I recently got the Henson medium, this is a great razor. BBS all the time. I also am trying to master straight razor shaving and this endeavor has curtailed my RAD.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I do this quote often now. If I get a really good, close shave on one morning with an aggressive razor then I'll generally back off if I decide to shave the next day and use a milder razor. It's why I have a few milder razors in my collection. They become a natural part of the rotation.

When I shave with the milder razor though, I don't chase a BBS...as the milder razor is usually incapable of achieving it. I'll just do a simple two or three pass and call it a shave.

Top Bottom