What's new

Wordle the new pandemic?

So, how the hell do you play it? Are there directions anywhere?

I click on the New York Times link and all I get is 30 boxes and a keyboard. Now what?
You're trying to guess a 5 letter word. You get 6 guesses.
Enter your first guess and hit "Enter". If a letter is green, it means it is the correct location and correct letter. If it's yellow, it is a letter in the word, but in the wrong location.
Keep guessing until you have it right or run out of tries. Only real words are allowed. If you enter something that it does not recognize as a word, you are not penalized a guess and just have to enter a new word to continue.

BtMyBeard's instructions are good. There are also a bunch a number of You Tube videos. There are a ton of on-line and otherwise articles given instructions and talking about strategy. The words one uses for the first couple of guesses are pretty important as they help sort out what letters are in the ultimate word. One strategy is to try to guess as many vowels as possible in the early guesses to figure out which vowels are in the ultimate word.

You're trying to guess a 5 letter word. You get 6 guesses.
Enter your first guess and hit "Enter". If a letter is green, it means it is the correct location and correct letter. If it's yellow, it is a letter in the word, but in the wrong location.
Keep guessing until you have it right or run out of tries. Only real words are allowed. If you enter something that it does not recognize as a word, you are not penalized a guess and just have to enter a new word to continue.
Well, I tried, and something doesn't seem right. I entered the following words:
QUICK
BROWN
JUMPS
CHILD
FADED
BROWN

On QUICK, C is yellow.
On BROWN, R and O are yellow.
On CHILD, C is green.
On FADED, A is green.

That seems to mean the word is _ROC_ and A and C are in the first and last places, in either order.
But, the correct word is CARGO.

Please explain.

Well, I tried, and something doesn't seem right. I entered the following words:
QUICK
BROWN
JUMPS
CHILD
FADED
BROWN

On QUICK, C is yellow.
On CHILD, C is green.
On FADED, A is green.

That seems to mean the word is _ROC_ and A and C are in the first and last places, in either order.
But, the correct word is CARGO.

Please explain.
Duh. I confused yellow and green.

Ignore my previous post.

I just started playing a couple weeks ago. It's a fun game and I like that there's only one per day. It took a few days to figure out my strategy but now I usually get by the 4th guess.

Last edited:

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
My kids got me hooked on it, but it only takes a few minutes once a day so hardly a huge time waster, though there is another one called Wordhurdle which is six letters twice a day

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I'm not good at word games, and really hate those where you have to rearrange letters to form different words. I started playing Wordle before the guy sold it to NYT for 6 figures. I play it most days and don't keep track, but as someone with mostly grunts and a 4-letter word vocabulary, I do pretty well.

For those who want to more than one a day (I don't), try this link. You can do todays or choose random words:

Yep, I’m with you. Like rearranging the letters dormitory into dirty room.😂

Looks like a version of a daytime game show here in the U.K. called Lingo.

If I remember right, the inventor of Wordle was a Brit, who sold it to the NY Times. I've read where Brits complain that the US has ruined the game, either with US spellings or making it too easy. What did they expect? The NYT had to dumb it down to make it popular in the US. At least it's still free, so far. If with my limited vocabulary, I can figure it out 90% of the time, they may have a point. It's still fun.

Last edited:
If I remember right, the inventor of Wordle was a Brit, who sold it to the NY Times. I've read where Brits complain that the US has ruined the game, either with US spellings or making it too easy. What did they expect? The NYT had to dumb it down to make it popular in the US. At least it's still free, so far. If with my limited vocabulary, I can figure it out 90% of the time, they may have a point. It's still fun.
Making it difficult would just mean people losing interest when the NYT wants people to think about doing it every day to drive traffic to their site. It never fails to amaze me what some people find to complain about online.

The NYT deleted a few words from the list that were either too obscure, possibly rude or not in common parlance in American English. No other changes were made, keep yer knickers untwisted.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Gee thanks. I was feeling good about myself up until now. I guess I’m much better with four letter words. My kid’s college educations were paid for from the funds in my swear jar. One drive to downtown Chicago paid for 3 credit hours.
The tv show Jeopardy used to be fun to watch back in the day. I don’t know most of the answers now or can’t spit them out fast enough.

Top Bottom