What's new

New member, with question...

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Hi, new member here. My name is Gary, and I'm in Michigan.

After alternating between cartridge shaving and electric for many years, I got fed up with the prices and politics of Gillette, and went primarily electric rotary for my face, and continued to use Harry's for my bald head. Recently, while waiting for my wife as she shopped at the local chain pharmacy, I happened to find a DE butterfly razor in the shaving aisle, and picked it up on a whim.

Scared to death to use it, I read a bunch here and elsewhere, and worked up the nerve to finally try it. All I had on hand was canned cream, gel, and Creamo - which i use to shave my head.

Anyway, I applied the Creamo to the three-day stubble on my face, and when I drew the razor down my cheek below my sideburn, I didn't feel anything - none of the tugging or dragging sensation I'm familiar with from using carts. I thought "I must have the razor at the wrong angle" but when I felt the area I had just passed, i was astonished to find that it was perfectly smooth! Needless to say I was hooked immediately. I finished my "first" shave (in 50 years of shaving) with one minor nick near the corner of my mouth and little irritation.

Next, more reading, and buying.

I ended up getting a Merkur 34c and some Astra blades, along with a badger brush and some TOBS Sandlewood cream, as everything I read said that the 34c with the Astra blades was a good starting point. So far, I'm having a ball even though I'm only a few shaves along.

My question: what characteristic physically makes one razor more "aggressive" than another, other than an open or closed comb?...does a more aggressive razor expose more of the blade edge from below the cap?

Anyway, if you made it to the end, thank you. :)

Dude, its almost like our journey's are aligned with each others! I too started with Gillette cartridge razors when I was a teenager. I began with their 2-bladed razor, then upgraded to the Mach 3, then lastly, the Fusion 5-blade. And I too know what its like, when the razors yank on the hairs like that. People with soft light hair have no idea what those of us, who have thick wiry course hair go through.

And I too was getting fed up on the costs of replacement razor blade cartridge packs. Last I remember, they were 24 dollars for a 4 pack of the Gillette Fusion cartridge packs. Because of my course hair, the maximum time period I can get out of a single blade is 1 month, and thats pushing it! I was spending upwards of 100+ dollars on blade cartridge packs per year alone!

Where our stories depart from one another's however, is that I got into electric shaving. I started with Norelco's 2-bladed rotary shavers, ya, I don't recommend them. I then upgraded to a Norelco 3-bladed rotary electric shaver, not the fancy expensive elite models, just those 50 dollar ones. It did a better job, but it still took a long time to shave my face, and it couldn't even give me a close shave by design.

Because I try to not be wasteful with my spending however, I kept using it until the motor died. I then decided it was time to leave Norelco and rotary behind. I jumped onto the Panasonic trip, and boarded the foil express to facial weight reduction. Suffice to say, I like them much better. The Arc 4 provides me a closer shave, I just got to use a shave gel first cause I have sensitive skin.

I never did get into any of the fancy razors that you talked about, so I have never experienced a razor blade that can remove hair, and leave your face smooth, without you even realizing it was cutting. And before you ask, no, back in the days when I went to the barber, I never got a barber shave, it was only haircuts.

And lastly, welcome to Badger & Blade! :)

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Welcome to B&B, Gary. We're glad you're here.

Coincidentally, my wife was cleaning out the top shelf in the hall closet and came across my old cart - forget the brand, but three blades. It had been many years since I used it and I couldn't really remember what it was like, so I shaved with it. Wow, a lot like pulling the hairs out, but I ended up with a decent shave. I'll try it again 12 years from now when I forget what it was like - again.

All good brother! Have you tried any of the vintage Gillette products? They are glorious
No, I'm so new to the game that I want to try and stick with one set-up and focus on technique rather than deal with many variables.

Once I gain some experience, I will certainly be open to all options.

Thanks for the recommendations. :)

Dude, its almost like our journey's are aligned with each others! I too started with Gillette cartridge razors when I was a teenager. I began with their 2-bladed razor, then upgraded to the Mach 3, then lastly, the Fusion 5-blade. And I too know what its like, when the razors yank on the hairs like that. People with soft light hair have no idea what those of us, who have thick wiry course hair go through.

And I too was getting fed up on the costs of replacement razor blade cartridge packs. Last I remember, they were 24 dollars for a 4 pack of the Gillette Fusion cartridge packs. Because of my course hair, the maximum time period I can get out of a single blade is 1 month, and thats pushing it! I was spending upwards of 100+ dollars on blade cartridge packs per year alone!

Where our stories depart from one another's however, is that I got into electric shaving. I started with Norelco's 2-bladed rotary shavers, ya, I don't recommend them. I then upgraded to a Norelco 3-bladed rotary electric shaver, not the fancy expensive elite models, just those 50 dollar ones. It did a better job, but it still took a long time to shave my face, and it couldn't even give me a close shave by design.

Because I try to not be wasteful with my spending however, I kept using it until the motor died. I then decided it was time to leave Norelco and rotary behind. I jumped onto the Panasonic trip, and boarded the foil express to facial weight reduction. Suffice to say, I like them much better. The Arc 4 provides me a closer shave, I just got to use a shave gel first cause I have sensitive skin.

I never did get into any of the fancy razors that you talked about, so I have never experienced a razor blade that can remove hair, and leave your face smooth, without you even realizing it was cutting. And before you ask, no, back in the days when I went to the barber, I never got a barber shave, it was only haircuts.

And lastly, welcome to Badger & Blade! :)
When I was still working and had to shave daily or every other day, I found that Braun electric razors did an ok job, though i still had to do minor touch up on a few tough spots with a Gillette cart, not for baby-smooth, just to be reasonably smooth, especially the front of my chin.

When I retired and only shaved every several days, or longer, the Braun really struggled. My shave would take a long time and the results were terrible on the longer growth. Finally, I bought a $60 Norelco triple and it easily mowed down three or four days (sometimes up to a week) and seemed to give a decent, though not perfect, shave.

Point is that I found the rotary much better suited to removing longer whiskers with less irritation.

Anyway, thanks for your response. :)

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

This is correct! I have learned this as well. If your somebody who goes days in between shaves, I find that rotary shavers, by their design, manage to shave the facial hair without too much trouble. Foil shavers on the other hand, provide you a closer shave, but, you can't go several days without shaving with them. In my personal experience, foil shavers work best with 1/16 of an inch stubble or less.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Well lets be honest, when a blade gets dull, its gonna start yanking on your hair instead of cutting it, and its gonna cut something alright, your skin. So, there is truth to a blade biting you real good.......Once its dull. :lol:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Welcome to B&B Gary!

What I want to know is what happened to that DE butterfly razor you found in the local pharmacy? Sounds like it did a pretty good job the first time you used it.
As for your question about what makes a razor more or less aggressive(I like to use the term efficient), it has more to do with the actual razor design than the blade gap.
With adjustable razors the blade exposure increases as the gap increases, and I find it is the blade exposure that determines how efficient a razor is.

Gillette made some very good TTO razors, the Super Speeds are a great place to start your new rabbit hole.

doug

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Welcome to B and B my new friend! This is the best place on the interwebs, honestly.

And while I'm being so honest, it was I that invented the phrase "prone to bite", back when I was working as a Spy for Schick. I had an undercover assignment, DEEP undercover, working on the assembly line in Boston for Gillette in 1914.

I don't like to talk to much about it. Bad memories....

Welcome to B&B Gary!

What I want to know is what happened to that DE butterfly razor you found in the local pharmacy? Sounds like it did a pretty good job the first time you used it.
As for your question about what makes a razor more or less aggressive(I like to use the term efficient), it has more to do with the actual razor design than the blade gap.
With adjustable razors the blade exposure increases as the gap increases, and I find it is the blade exposure that determines how efficient a razor is.

Gillette made some very good TTO razors, the Super Speeds are a great place to start your new rabbit hole.

doug
I still have the butterfly and after doing a bit of research it looks like it may be a Viking clone but there is not a single identifying mark on it, so I have no idea who made it. The plating seems good, it locks up solid and has decent weight, so still feels like a bargain at 15 bucks. I probably will give it another run, but I'm currently smitten by the 34c.

And after promising not to get carried away, I also have a vintage Superspeed on the way. 🙂

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
The world has definitely turned for you. Welcome to the forums. Coming from a tugging and pulling cart experience, you'll more than likely find that your 23c royally kicks the snot out of that on a regular basis. It's been my experience that, as you continue on the journey you find yourself wondering what could make your shave even better. This leads to what's popularly known as the "rabbit hole" effect...trying different hardware and software to see what works better and what doesn't. Eventually, you land on a setup or three that hits your sweet spot time and again. And then, the shaving life is good!

Happy Shaves!

Top Bottom