What's new

Pipe goals for 2022

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
As documented in another thread, I got my tobacco cellar "finished" last year. I felt like I'd achieved something there, and have considered what I want to achieve this year.

"Finish" the pipe array
I have enough pipes, and when the postie has done her job this week, I'll have too many. The challenge though, was getting the "correct" pipes. I'm sure there'll be more trial and error, but I want the pipe drawer full of the "right" pipes by the end of the year. If I can get the same level of achievement with the pipe drawer, as I did with the ageing stash, that's a big win.

Behave!
Don't buy more tobacco unless I need to. Or pipes. Or anything else. Leave all currently owned tobaccos accessible, so I can look at how much I bought, and facepalm regularly. If I do buy any tobacco, buy LESS than a year's consumption... which means...

Monitor usage
I totally lost track with all the tobacco samples as to how much I smoked last year. As the next few year's leaf is all bagged in sample sized pouches, I am currently well prepared for ending 2022 just as clueless as I ended 2021. I do need to at least try to keep track of what I smoke, so I can get a rough idea how long the mountain might last.

Buy in person where possible
Strive for a maximum of one online purchase a month. Pipe stuff, shaving stuff, clothes, anything. If there's something needed, get of your arse and go fetch it. And pay in cash. Lower the digital footprint, dodge the data harvesters, move more, spend less.

Smoke outside more
Like, not in the garden either. Head for the park, or some other quiet spot. Canal, hill top, anywhere. In fact go and discover new smoking spots. Find at least five favourite smoking spots by the end of 2022.

So there we go. That's the five things I'm going to fail miserably at this year :biggrin1:

Anyone else?

I want to bring some regularity into my pipe smoking. Currently it’s mostly weekends which suits me fine. I haven’t mastered the art of smoking/walking yet as I inevitably start puffing too fast, so I can work on that as well.

Since coming back I only bought 2 pouches of Amphora (Kentucky is great, Full not so) and I still have a couple of jars to rehydrate (Penzance) before digging into new tins.

I bought new pipes even though I have too much already incl. more than enough unsmoked ones :facep:. This has to stop!

I have to check more local sources of tobacco (no online shopping within the EU) as I might start cellaring again.

I’d like to smoke more Burley.

Last edited:
I'd like to purchase a Dublin and a Canadian pipe. Perhaps the Peterson 120 and 264, respectively.

To trade or give away the pipes that I never smoke.

To set up my supplies so I don't have to haul the former copy paper box out of the closet each time I want to have a pipe. I made a start on that yesterday by repurposing a cool gift tin that originally held a selection of teas into a tobacco box.

And I do like the idea of finding more outdoor venues for the pipe -- but "outside" here is a subdivision of Hell for 8 or more months a year (it's still going to be 73 F. as a high today, in January!). If my long-held dream comes true and I relocate to a better climate, then . . .

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
And I do like the idea of finding more outdoor venues for the pipe -- but "outside" here is a subdivision of Hell for 8 or more months a year (it's still going to be 73 F. as a high today, in January!). If my long-held dream comes true and I relocate to a better climate, then . . .
I'll trade you...

Screenshot_20220102-045026_DuckDuckGo.jpg

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
This thread is timely. I need to get my smoking AD in control. I tend to go in spurts. I went nuts on shaving when I first joined, then went for a 5-year period where I used one razor, one blade, two brushes and two soaps. Got active here again, now I have more razors and brushes than I can use, and about 15 soaps (I blame @Marco enabler extraordinaire! :) ). I am having fun, though, but I finally stopped that.

Then I fell in here. :001_rolle I did not realize how many pipes I actually had, because they were packed away in various places. Let's see, I have 14 briars for aros, 2 briars for VaPers, 5 for English blends, plus 5 cobs, and one gourd calabash. Oh, and a Meer in the mail. And a snipe bid on another Bari. This has to stop.

• I like the idea of buy one pipe, trade one or PIF one.
  • Refine my tobacco tastes. I tend to not like having too many, but I'd like to discover and list a dozen favorites and build a cellaring strategy. I can buy more tobacco.
  • Find outdoor smoking spots is a good one. I need to walk more this year. I work sitting at a computer all day.
  • Keep things organized. Wife hates it when I leave stuff lying around it ruins her feng shui, or something. She lets me smoke in the house, enjoys it, actually. But I have a tendency to not pick up after myself, and that sets her off, so continue to keep my pipes and tobacco organized in the study and out of her sight.

That's enough to work on for this year. And dammit, I won that eBay snipe. :mad: This must stop. One in, one out.

Last edited:
Smoke more pipes! Seriously, bring them back to work and rediscover the beautiful utility of a quick smoke of Five Bros for those times when I "need" a smoke.

I have my codgers and Virginias about dialed in. I'll need to do the same with Englishes, aromatics, and non codger burley. That's fun though! That's the Land of Samples! And I hope by this time next year I have 2 of those 3 figured out.

I need to get a handle on the pipes I have. I have plenty of pipes, well more than I need. But I know I'll continue acquiring more. So I need to start a one in one out policy. Start PIFing and giving away the ones that aren't working for me.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
A lot of nice looking pipes in that pile!
Yeah, a lot of them are really ready to smoke but I want to clean them before I smoke them. Most were bought in “lots” of which I wanted one pipe. The pipes that that I really wanted have been cleaned and are in rotation. 15 months after moving into this house and I finally feel like “my” room in the basement is ready to go. Next project is the garage. Once that’s done I’ll have more time for cleaning and refurbing the pipes.

Last edited:
Pipe smoking goals for 2022? Are we required to have goals? I've always taken a dim view of goals, especially those considered "stretch" goals, or in other words, goals you likely can't reach but give your managers a lever to pry about your business. That said, I suppose I do have a few aspirational goals in mind for this year as regards my smoking habit.
1. Keep the PAD and TAD under control. I'm feeling pretty good about this one as I've been under control for most of the last year, most being the operative term.
2. Find a rhythm to having my cellar and smoking stash in two places at the same time. I'm used to having everything under one roof; that has changed and it will take some getting used to.
3. Build a ~48 pipe cabinet for the man cave at the winter place. I moved a number of pipes here last week, some permanent, some temporary, but I need a better way to house them. And building the cabinet will provide something to do besides playing golf and bridge.
4. Enjoy the smoking experience and the joy of contemplation. This is really the ongoing, overlying goal, now isn't it?

Let's have a good year, OK?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
This thread is timely. I need to get my smoking AD in control. I tend to go in spurts. I went nuts on shaving when I first joined, then went for a 5-year period where I used one razor, one blade, two brushes and two soaps. Got active here again, now I have more razors and brushes than I can use, and about 15 soaps (I blame @Marco enabler extraordinaire! :) ). I am having fun, though, but I finally stopped that.

Then I fell in here. :001_rolle I did not realize how many pipes I actually had, because they were packed away in various places. Let's see, I have 14 briars for aros, 2 briars for VaPers, 5 for English blends, plus 5 cobs, and one gourd calabash. Oh, and a Meer in the mail. And a snipe bid on another Bari. This has to stop.

• I like the idea of buy one pipe, trade one or PIF one.
  • Refine my tobacco tastes. I tend to not like having too many, but I'd like to discover and list a dozen favorites and build a cellaring strategy. I can buy more tobacco.
  • Find outdoor smoking spots is a good one. I need to walk more this year. I work sitting at a computer all day.
  • Keep things organized. Wife hates it when I leave stuff lying around it ruins her feng shui, or something. She lets me smoke in the house, enjoys it, actually. But I have a tendency to not pick up after myself, and that sets her off, so continue to keep my pipes and tobacco organized in the study and out of her sight.

That's enough to work on for this year. And dammit, I won that eBay snipe. :mad: This must stop. One in, one out.
Our wives had to be separated twins....

I tell you, when I first met my wife I was smoking a pipe. Then I quit. Then for some reason I went back to cigarettes, outside, for the next 5 years before I finally quit that.

But I will say this: I never had sinus trouble, and got a HECK of a lot more fresh air when I was smoking. Also never had a kidney stone until I quit drinking beer!

As the old country song says, "there's more old drunks than there are old doctors, so I guess we better have another round!"

Hmmmmmm goals.
- Build a usable tobacco storage solution. I have some ideas, just need to get on it.
- Keep TAD under control. This is tough, I see so much stuff I want and go crazy. Maybe a monthly $$$budget. I have been trading a lot but that costs money to ship that I could put towards an order for free shipping.
- Spend more time walking and having a smoke. I like what AimlessWanderer said, find 5 new smoking spots this year. Should be easy because I am moving in 2 weeks. We bought a house on a private golf course that's gated etc. I should be able yo explore all over and find beautiful spots to walk to for a smoke.

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
Perhaps not so much goals as they are things I'd like to be more intentional about.

IRT tobacco purchases, my hope is to continue to purchase tobaccos that will cellar well. My frequency in smoking a pipe is not a daily occurrence nor a weekly one. It is roughly a bi-monthly enjoyment, a time for me to sit outside and ponder/reflect/praise/think on the blessings I have. So the intention is to continue through the aromatics that I have and get more of the blends that will age and supplement as needed. At the pace I'm going, I believe that I could have enough to last me 5+yrs without issue. Ideally, having some for a 10yr mark would be nice.

With what I had mentioned above, my hope is to enjoy a smoke with friends nearby. When I first retired from the Navy and moved to Oklahoma in 2019, I didn't know really anyone in this area. By the time 2020 rolled around, I knew folks but had to be "distanced" and such b/c of a "pandemic". With things seemingly opening up and hopefully winding down (I hope for 2022), I'd really like to enjoy a smoke with the friends I've made here to ponder/reflect/praise/think on the blessings we have in common together. I've enjoyed the BL herfs we've had here (many thanks Micah) and I hope to carry that over into this year, just locally in person as well. I do have a really nice view off my front porch if anyone is inclined to come to Norman ;).

As far as pipes are concerned, I have quite a few cobs and unless there's one that is a "must have", I'll probably not get anymore. I do have a large project planned over the coming months that I hope to share more on soon. Just waiting for things to align as needed. But I do hope to get this year's BL LE pipe when it's announced.

Cigars are simple, just get more. :c9::pipe:

Top Bottom