What's new

Shaving is all subjective

After a few months of being back into DE shaving, spending time reading about different blades, creams, etc, the bottom line is that shaving is very subjective. It all depends on what works FOR YOU. I have a very coarse beard, especially on my neck, and I’ve read reviews about the best blades and then tried those blades and hated them. I’ve been using my Parker Variant and trying different blades. I’ve hated some that are supposed to be sharp and best for coarse beards and I’ve really liked some blades that have had poor reviews. It just all depends on what feels right and what works right for you. This morning I used a Shark super chrome. I read some reviews that claimed this blade was neither sharp nor smooth. I found it to be one of the smoothest shaves I’ve had so far. No nicks at all and very enjoyable shave. Bottom line: find what works for you and don’t worry if the reviews don’t match up. It’s all about trial and error. I’m slowly getting the hang of this and learning what I like and what I don’t like. That’s all part of the process. Enjoy!

It's entirely subjective how any piece of kit will work for you. I agree with that.

On the other hand, there's a broad statistical sweep of opinion here, and in other places, which I have used to my advantage.

If I hadn't, and had randomly tried stuff, I would own a lot more duds.

Eben Stone

Staff member
It's entirely subjective how any piece of kit will work for you. I agree with that.

On the other hand, there's a broad statistical sweep of opinion here, and in other places, which I have used to my advantage.

If I hadn't, and had randomly tried stuff, I would own a lot more duds.
I agree. There is definitely some importantance to considering the opinions, reviews, and experiences of your peers, even if it is subjective.

I love using my shave brush and different creams… but I still use a 3 or 5 blade almost daily. I still shave 2x. And always get the closest and most comfortable shaved. Single blades never get close enough and that’s after 3 passes with different directions and understanding my beard growth. I usually get more razor burn with the single blades… maybe that’s a technique issue.

Occasionally I bust out one of the old twist to turns or one of the others I have… but I prefer the other usually.

Bottom line is… it is doing what works for you. As long as your good… so is everyone else.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

After almost 6 months into DE shaving, I am violent agreement. The suggestions on B&B were a great place to start from. I believe in learning from others mistakes if I can. The whole shaving process and equipment have soooo many variables including the person doing it.

Shaving for me isn't all that subjective. Yes, my opinions have changed a little over the years, but the core is still totally objective: my whiskers grow. That's an objective fact; how I mow them down has a touch of subjectivity about it, but not much. I admit that shaves can vary, concentration, technique, etc.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Being here at B&B now lo these many grisly years I'll heartily agree with the OP - much of what appears is either crap or doesn't apply to any members own situation. But, reading about it enhances one's skills or mayhaps their thoughts and might someday lead to a better shave,

I agree with your post. While we all have different preferences when it comes to shaving, it’s always great to seek help and advice from others. I have found this forum a massive help after trying DE shaving for the first time and two months on I’m getting the best shaves ever!

You could look at it like this. At the end of the day the best razor is the one you are most happy with. Do you like a certain razor because it shaves so well, or because it matches your bathroom taps? As long as it works really well for you then that is the main thing.

Jason.

Top Bottom