What's new

Cleaning the Shaving Sink: How Often?

I assume most people here shave over their bathroom sink. If you shave in the shower, the same question applies.
How often do you give it a good cleaning so soap / hair doesn't build up?

I live in a hard water city.
After every shave, I scrub it with a rough sponge. Make sure I scrub the drain.
Monthly, a pot of boiling water is mixed with dish washing liquid, then dumped down.
Twice a year, I'll unscrew the P-trap and give everything a good scrub.

If there aren't any problems, I never take it further than that. Preventative maintenance saves me repairs down the line.

Once a week I spray shower cleaning
Stuff in sink and around it. Let it sit till I’m Done with my shower. Scrub a little bit rinse and shave. If it needs to be Cleaner than what I Do. She Can Take care of it. [emoji848][emoji12][emoji1787]

Never given this much thought, but vinegar breaks down soap scum very well, so one could flush their drain with that. All I personally do is pull the drain plug every once in a while to grab hairs caught in it, and wipe the sink and faucet down with barkeepers friend if it’s starting to look shabby.

I'm more concerned about the drain. It seems like the soaps we use tend to clog up my sink every so often and the water doesn't drain well. It may be the tallow in the soap. I really don't know.
What I do now is every 6 months I fill my sink with hot water and put a few squirts of Dawn dish washing liquid in it and let it drain. Keeps it running smooth.

I will take a rough sponge and clean off the soap scum once a week. A couple of days during the week I will fill the sink with hot water and let it drain out all at once. Other than that I won't do anything else to it until it won't drain. I'm going to shamelessly copy @shave/brush /brush and add some Dawn to the hot water before I run it through next time.

My sink got slow and I was pretty sure it was going to be a reckoning for my soapy ways, but after running a plastic drain weasel through it the culprit was *clearly* my wife's hair. Now excuse me as I've been told the suit of armor in the foyer requires polishing. (Housemaid joke.)

I clean the hair out of the bathroom sink drain about once a month. Did it this morning. I use a long straight piece of coat hanger wire with a hook bent on the end.
If you go to Home Depot or Lowe's you can get a hair remover for about a couple bucks*. It looks like a giant zip tie with lots of teeth on the sides.

*When I first bought many one years ago, it was $1. A couple years ago, I bought another one (after throwing out the original) and it was $2. Now it's gone up to $3. The cost of goods has skyrocketed! 😖

Top Bottom