What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
So I took Treesa for a test drive today. First observation: I LOVE her voice i.e. audible feedback. This is very important to me -- a woman can be absolutely gorgeous but if I don't like her voice it's game over ;) Secondly, while it's early on this is the best shave I've ever achieved on first use of a razor. So thinking it can only get better with time. While my trouble spots are not perfect she dealt with them very, very well. I think she's a keeper, thanks again Jim for yet another fantastic recommendation.

Happy shaves all!

How's it going with Treesa?

Mühle Rocca Birch. R95.480.png

The photo is for anyone who doesn't understand her name.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Pole vault, great term, love it! I'm curious, what is the function of the cog?
Cheers!

I had to figure out what you were talking about.

There is no cog.

Hone's Center of Gravity.640..png

In the illustration C O G means center of gravity.

My Hone has a longer handle, being a pole vault as well as a razor, so the COG is further from the head. Still not that much further.

Happy shaves,

Jim

How's it going with Treesa?

View attachment 1337707

The photo is for anyone who doesn't understand her name.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Ahhh centre of gravity, makes sense. Apparently Newton went into the Gent's one day and exclaimed, "My God, this IS the centre of graffiti!"

I've actually been taking a break from shaving to allow some skin stuff to heal also. I have a date with Treesa this AM, will let you know!

Well, that was a damn fine shave! The distinct audio feedback from the R95 is a definite plus in gauging how much hair is left. I had three days growth--I find I get my best shaves when it's two or more days in. Two and a bit passes -- WTG and ATG and XTG along the jawline did the trick just fine.

Pretty safe to say Treesa is my best girl now. Really hope my real life GF doesn't get jealous ;)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I want to show off one of the best gifts I've ever been given. Knowing I was looking for one, a member gave me his. Here it is.

10-1-21.Vision.Box.640.JPG

That's the outer cardboard box.

10-1-21.VisionCan.640JPG.JPG

Next is the inner tin box.

10-1-21.VisionTin.Open.640.JPG

The tin box is open.

10-1-21.Vision-in-tin.640JPG.JPG

Here's what's inside.

10-1-21.Vision&Stealth&Schone.640.JPG

The SS RR Stealth in the middle is on a 100 mm handle and is a huge, huge razor. The Schöne on the right is a normal sized DE.

The Merkur Vision dwarfs both of these razors. It is huge.

As you know these babies are Unobtanium, but thanks to the magic of PIF and the generosity of a brother, here's one for my shave den.

Thanks so much to the unnamed member, and also thanks to Gus @GlazedBoker for enabling me. (Bet you didn't think one would come my way, Gus!)

This is way cool by any standard.

Happy shaves to you gentlemen,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Aha! After six years at B&B I finally get why so many people like BIG. THEY'RE AMERICAN (the majority of B&Bers that is).

Doesn't mean we're Texans, Cal.

(My excuse? A parent born in Texas?)

I'm interested in the Vision only because Gus @GlazedBoker said it's a top tier shaver. Generally I prefer smaller DE razors all things being equal. That said, the big, heavy, pole vault Hone is a very good shaver. Don't know if I'll like the Vision but I will absolutely try it out.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I want to show off one of the best gifts I've ever been given. Knowing I was looking for one, a member gave me his. Here it is.

View attachment 1337890

That's the outer cardboard box.

View attachment 1337891

Next is the inner tin box.

View attachment 1337893

The tin box is open.

View attachment 1337917

Here's what's inside.

View attachment 1337896

The SS RR Stealth in the middle is on a 100 mm handle and is a huge, huge razor. The Schöne on the right is a normal sized DE.

The Merkur Vision dwarfs both of these razors. It is huge.

As you know these babies are Unobtanium, but thanks to the magic of PIF and the generosity of a brother, here's one for my shave den.

Thanks so much to the unnamed member, and also thanks to Gus @GlazedBoker for enabling me. (Bet you didn't think one would come my way, Gus!)

This is way cool by any standard.

Happy shaves to you gentlemen,

Jim

That is spectacular, enjoy! That stainless Beast is a thing of beauty too!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
One more package arrived today...

10-1-21.CustomTibam.NY.Ti.ForB3.640.Stannd.JPG

Notice the neck. This is a titanium Tibam New York handle custom made to fit the Blackland Blackbird baseplate. It's also in a shorter custom length. The stand is Tibam titanium, too.

10-1-21.Blackbird.NY Handle.Custom.Stand.640.JPG

Here it is with the Blackbird head attached. (The Blackbird is SS.) I like the looks of the standard Blackbird handle but prefer handles fatter in diameter, shorter in length, and lighter in weight. Especially fatter.

10-1-21.Blackbird.Tibam.NY.Custom.Stand.640.JPG

I'm quite pleased with this acquisition from Russia. My Wunderbar currently sports a similar NY handle with the same from-the-baseplate length and matte finish.

I've not shaved with the new combination yet but the look and balance both seem perfect.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Did I need to really shave? No, the stubble was really light this morning as the shave from the Single Ring yesterday evening was very close. But, it was just enough to get a pass or two in and I did just that. The PAA DOC Ascension made real short work of it. An ATG pass and a couple of passes for pick ups around Sir Adam and the stache area. Good as new. Now, some Dark Roast Colombian with Steak & Eggs. Oh my.

Great shaves to all…..

PAA DOC Copper Ascension/Gillette SP’s (Black Ninjas)-Yaqi Heavy Metal 24mm Syn-Ethos Greenfresh soap&splash-CH 212 NYC edt

92336155-250C-4195-BE5C-1BC083E53F0D.jpeg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Copper PAA Ascencion.Gus's razor.480.png

Beautiful razor, Gus @GlazedBoker. I should have purchased one when they were available just to look at it occasionally even if I didn't like its shave. I'm not at all saying I wouldn't like the shave, too.

I don't have a copper razor, but life is really good in spite of a Cu deficit.​
1633182753468.png

My recently discussed to death skin problems have fixed themselves. My determination to not cause them again has increased. I believe I learned something from the experiences.

The bronchitis I had in late July and August has finally and totally gone. My energy level is now back to normal. I feel no residual effects. I'm ready to begin working myself back into my little exercise programs.

So many fine razors reside in my shave den I can barely keep up with them. Trying 'em out enough to learn them is just about impossible. I'm talking only the newer and better razors here. Several new razors haven't even been used yet. So many toys.

Besides that, I have at least one incoming razor. Within the next week or two a brand new Wolfman WR2 1.35 should arrive.

It should be mentioned that I love my wife more and more as time goes on. Life a fine wine she has improved over time. Either that or my appreciation of her has grown. Perhaps both.

Life is good.

The cherry on top is college football.

Uga dog.jpeg

Go, Dawgs!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday. Just Wow!

A recent adjustables conversation with Gus @GlazedBoker and James @loot got me thinking even more about adjustables including this Merkur Vision, a long unobtanium and controversial razor.

10-2-21.Vision.Vitos.SOC.Boar.640.JPG

Yes...
  1. It's ugly, although not so much to me.
  2. It's weird looking; that's for sure.
  3. It's the biggest, fattest, longest, most awkward looking, most complicated DE razor of modern times!
  4. It's very high maintenance.
  5. It's made of zamac.
  6. It's prone to breakdowns.
  7. Opening its barn doors requires 12 turns.
Today I closed the gap as much as it closes. That means it only had a huge gap. There was also plenty of blade feel. From looking at it closely the blade is not rigidly clamped. Frankly, it is a bit intimidating.

What about the shave?

Even on its lowest setting, this is a Shaving Tool! Very efficient. Very close shaving. Reasonably smooth feeling other than ATG. Able to reach into small places like under my nose. (Not N-S, but in other directions.)

It gave me no trouble with its size. No balance issues. No grip issues. Not too heavy.

My intent today was to use it at its mild setting and get an easy, comfortable, not for the office, Saturday shave. Obviously one shave is not a review, but I don't think this razor is capable of that sort of shave. I'm not at all badmouthing it. Quite the opposite. I enjoyed using it and will absolutely use it again. This is a Razor!

proxy.php

Preshave I used both the Cube and Tube. Flipped Polsilver SI. Post shave I used Coconut Bay Rum.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
10-2-21.Vision.Vitos.SOC.Boar.640.JPG

Saturday. Just Wow!

What about the shave?

Even on its lowest setting, this is a Shaving Tool! Very efficient. Very close shaving. Reasonably smooth feeling other than ATG. Able to reach into small places like under my nose. (Not N-S, but in other directions.)

Just looking at the razor a second ago it's a little bit possible I used it today wide open instead of shut down on the lowest setting. I'm not sure either way.

More experiments required. Sorry for unclear data.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Saturday. Just Wow!

A recent adjustables conversation with Gus @GlazedBoker and James @loot got me thinking even more about adjustables including this Merkur Vision, a long unobtanium and controversial razor.

View attachment 1338520

Yes...
  1. It's ugly, although not so much to me.
  2. It's weird looking; that's for sure.
  3. It's the biggest, fattest, longest, most awkward looking, most complicated DE razor of modern times!
  4. It's very high maintenance.
  5. It's made of zamac.
  6. It's prone to breakdowns.
  7. Opening its barn doors requires 12 turns.
Today I closed the gap as much as it closes. That means it only had a huge gap. There was also plenty of blade feel. From looking at it closely the blade is not rigidly clamped. Frankly, it is a bit intimidating.

What about the shave?

It gave me no trouble with its size. No balance issues. No grip issues. Not too heavy.

My intent today was to use it at its mild setting and get an easy, comfortable, not for the office, Saturday shave. Obviously one shave is not a review, but I don't think this razor is capable of that sort of shave. I'm not at all badmouthing it. Quite the opposite. I enjoyed using it and will absolutely use it again. This is a Razor!

proxy.php

Preshave I used both the Cube and Tube. Flipped Polsilver SI. Post shave I used Coconut Bay Rum.

Happy shaves,

Jim

That was an impressive first write up @Chan Eil Whiskers. Congrats on the acquisition & kudos to the gentleman that sent you the Vision. Honestly Jim, I didn’t think you would take a liking to the Merkur Vision at first shave. I’m not saying you are in instant love with it but, there’s no denying that it did impress upon you. It’s a good shaver. Actually, it’s a real good shaver that cuts close and tight with relative comfort and ease. No, it doesn’t feel like a highly polished Wolfman or Ti Timeless but, it’s really not that far behind. And in shave performance it goes toe to toe with the best of them. As you stated quite correctly, big and bulky with an inferior alloy (compared to stainless, titanium and a couple others), the blade looks to have insufficien support or rigidity and yet, it produces quality shaves and real close ones at that.

Keep working it Jim, it’ll make you rethink a bit on how something that looks so ill conceived can get you results that rival some of the best tools in the industry. I know, I still keep scratching my head at times when I wield this jackhammer of a razor.

Great shaves to you amigo….. :shaving:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sunday my shave answered a couple of questions.
  1. Yesterday's shave was certainly not with the gap fully closed.
  2. The razor is a very nice shaver with the gap fully closed.
Yes, once again, the razor of choice was the Merkur Vision.

10-3-21.Vision.LE-3Band.SS-Etherea.640.JPG

This time I know for sure I had the gap on the lowest possible setting. The settings as least on my razor correspond to nothing but the adjustment ring was turned as far as possible to close the gap as much as it can be closed.

Whatever it was adjusted to yesterday it was nowhere near this low setting.

I'll call this setting Zero, but that's an arbitrary setting in terms of the actual razor.

How was the shave on Zero?

In a word or two, Damn Good!

The shave today was not as close as yesterday's but it was plenty close by most standards. (More later on this.) The razor was very smooth indeed as it glided across my skin. There was just about no blade feel even ATG. I was easily able to do some extra passes without damaging anything. There were no hints of razor intimidation. The razor seemed very mild, but also pretty efficient for a very mild razor in the category of "efficient razor with least blade feel."

Certainly it was not efficient as an iKon Tech or my Wolfman WR2 1.15 or numerous other razors I've used, but for how smooth and mild it felt it was efficient enough. I very much doubt I'll end up using this razor on Zero as a Daily Driver, but it was a worthwhile and useful experiment.

proxy.php

The Vision is an interesting razor. I understand why it's not being produced anymore but surely someone could copy the geometry of the razor at various settings, increase the blade rigidity, and produce equally good shaving instruments in actual metal. (The Vision is zamac.)

Today's Semogue LE three band is a wonderful brush. It is as soft as I'd want any three band to be, but it also has the most delicious scrub when I splay it a bit to work up a little foam. The brush has become one of my absolute favorites. The only points off would be for size. It's a medium sized knot and I like larger knots. (Actually I'd say it's smallish for a knot with a nominal size of 24 mm.)

Today's soap was chosen because I have in transit a tub of Shannon's NIL soap (no scent) which I'd ordered because I like this one. I wanted to again see why I liked it. The scent is excellent. I just prefer to mostly not use scented soaps.

Cube/Tube. Flipped and still going strong Polsilver SI.

6-22-21.DiverDown.After&Cologne.640.JPG
Pairs perfectly with the soap.

Was my only post shave product.​

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday. Merkur Vision again.

10-4-21.Vision.Mistura.Vitos.640.JPG

10-4-21.VisionSetting.640.JPG

This morning I opened the gap a little bit. Wow!

I'm not sure whether to use the little indentation below the adjustment dial or the larger indentation (logo?) above the adjustment dial. Neither correspond to any of the adjustment dial's inscriptions when fully closed or fully open.

Today I'm using the lower marker (as pictured). My gap is halfway between the V and the I.

On my Vision fully closed (smallest gap) is between the S and the I. (That is, the dot between the S and the I.)

On my Vision fully opened (largest gap) is right on the O.

There are eleven possible positions. (Well, actually it's infinite, but there are eleven marked positions.)

Thus, I opened the gap 4/11 ths or 0.36 of the way.

How was the shave?

Really good! Better than yesterday. Very little blade feel (but not none). Smooth. Very efficient (but not max'd out).

Lovely shave.

Cube/Tube. Same flipped Polsilver SI. Sandalwood splash.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom