What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Monday. Merkur Vision again.

This morning I opened the gap a little bit. Wow!

I'm not sure whether to use the little indentation below the adjustment dial or the larger indentation (logo?) above the adjustment dial. Neither correspond to any of the adjustment dial's inscriptions when fully closed or fully open.

Today I'm using the lower marker (as pictured). My gap is halfway between the V and the I.

On my Vision fully closed (smallest gap) is between the S and the I. (That is, the dot between the S and the I.)

On my Vision fully opened (largest gap) is right on the O.

There are eleven possible positions. (Well, actually it's infinite, but there are eleven marked positions.)

Thus, I opened the gap 4/11 ths or 0.36 of the way.

How was the shave?

Really good! Better than yesterday. Very little blade feel (but not none). Smooth. Very efficient (but not max'd out).

Lovely shave.

Cube/Tube. Same flipped Polsilver SI. Sandalwood splash.

Happy shaves,

Jim

So the adjustment dial has the name of the razor instead of numerical markings? Am I interpreting that correctly?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday I had a good shave.

Opened the gap a tad more.​
proxy.php

10-5-21.VisionOnV.SemogueLE3Band.Vitos.640.JPG
10-5-21.V.Vision.640.JPG

Just one more 1/11 th. Made a difference. I'm just trying to figure it out. Experimenting.

There's no doubt this razor is a great shaving tool.

proxy.php

Plenty of room to expand the gap. Doesn't mean I want to or should or will. It's already very good!

Cube/Tube. Flipped Polsilver SI. Caribbean Holiday splash (vanilla extract).

Close comfortable shave.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Here's how I interpreted that question... "How does one go about doing something, they have no intention of doing?"

Resolve the conflict. Why is the question being asked? Which the bigger cost, culling, or not culling? Then look at each razor in turn, and decide whether keeping/discarding it, makes the scenario better or worse.

I had intended to respond on my computer so as to address each response in turn but haven’t been able to get the time to do so. I’ll try to answer what I can remember from Tapatalk here and we’ll go from there. Been rather busy the past week, sorry for the delay.

I actually have a lot of intention in paring back. I am currently in a purging mood, as our home is very cluttered and I can tell that it is causing me extra stress from all of the clutter. The razors are just one small part of that clutter, but it is a party that I have control over. The better half controls the rest lol. I have two storage containers with three drawers each full of shaving gear. These containers are in our closet and are about 8 inches wide by 12 inches deep. Each drawer is about 3 inches tall, just tall enough for a full tub of soap to fit inside flat. I have a shave shelf in the bathroom for my razors and brushes and an area under the sink for my in rotation soaps and aftershaves. The soaps are in two stacks. This summer, I found myself really only using the top soap in each stack. They were excellent shaves. I also found myself gravitating to only a handful of razors (like 4 or 5 in total out of my 2 or 3 dozen between the shelf and drawers). I have 6 drawers in the two containers: one is all blades, one is brushes, two have soaps, and two have razors. Aftershaves sit next to the containers so they don’t leak. I have four brushes I really use, I could easily get rid of any extras and I may. Of the two razor drawers, one is entirely injectors. I love injectors from time to time, but don’t use them regularly. I have several duplicates. Since I’m not using them regularly, I feel as though this collection of injectors needs pared down and is really what I would like to pare back.

I recently bought some GEM razors which have been giving excellent shaves. I don’t have any place to store them though. I would like to make the shave shelf more clean, but just don’t have any place to put those razors right now. I could put a few in the brush drawer but id like to fix the problem of too many razors that I’m not using, which was why I asked the question.

I’m trying to determine how I handle the injectors. When I bought them, they were the only razors that were working for me. So I became a collector of them to find the best one and to have an example of each major type. I had a couple of duplicates. But not all of them work well for me. I also haven’t given them all enough time to fully know whether that’s a technique problem or a razor problem. Since I do have such a nice collection, I’m on the fence about getting rid of any. But, I need the room and likely wouldn’t notice the pare back that much. There are other razors that I have that are easy to get rid of as I don’t find them very good shavers for me. A few slants come to mind right away.

I think I came up with a workable solution: shave with each razor for one week to get a good idea of it’s characteristics. This isn’t enough time to fully learn the razor, I definitely know that. But it’ll get me started knowing whether it is worth extra time learning or if I should just cut it loose. Rather than focusing on the overall collection, especially with the injectors, just focus on the actual shave with each and rid myself of the ones that do not seem they will provide a good shave. I may end up getting rid of some that I could regret in the future, but I think this is less likely. As of now, I’m definitely keeping razors that aren’t working. I need to get the amount of stuff in the house down, and I think this makes sense on how to start.

If anyone has other ideas, please let me know and open to other suggestions on what to do with everything. Thanks for the comments already.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I had intended to respond on my computer so as to address each response in turn but haven’t been able to get the time to do so. I’ll try to answer what I can remember from Tapatalk here and we’ll go from there. Been rather busy the past week, sorry for the delay.

I actually have a lot of intention in paring back. I am currently in a purging mood, as our home is very cluttered and I can tell that it is causing me extra stress from all of the clutter. The razors are just one small part of that clutter, but it is a party that I have control over. The better half controls the rest lol. I have two storage containers with three drawers each full of shaving gear. These containers are in our closet and are about 8 inches wide by 12 inches deep. Each drawer is about 3 inches tall, just tall enough for a full tub of soap to fit inside flat. I have a shave shelf in the bathroom for my razors and brushes and an area under the sink for my in rotation soaps and aftershaves. The soaps are in two stacks. This summer, I found myself really only using the top soap in each stack. They were excellent shaves. I also found myself gravitating to only a handful of razors (like 4 or 5 in total out of my 2 or 3 dozen between the shelf and drawers). I have 6 drawers in the two containers: one is all blades, one is brushes, two have soaps, and two have razors. Aftershaves sit next to the containers so they don’t leak. I have four brushes I really use, I could easily get rid of any extras and I may. Of the two razor drawers, one is entirely injectors. I love injectors from time to time, but don’t use them regularly. I have several duplicates. Since I’m not using them regularly, I feel as though this collection of injectors needs pared down and is really what I would like to pare back.

I recently bought some GEM razors which have been giving excellent shaves. I don’t have any place to store them though. I would like to make the shave shelf more clean, but just don’t have any place to put those razors right now. I could put a few in the brush drawer but id like to fix the problem of too many razors that I’m not using, which was why I asked the question.

I’m trying to determine how I handle the injectors. When I bought them, they were the only razors that were working for me. So I became a collector of them to find the best one and to have an example of each major type. I had a couple of duplicates. But not all of them work well for me. I also haven’t given them all enough time to fully know whether that’s a technique problem or a razor problem. Since I do have such a nice collection, I’m on the fence about getting rid of any. But, I need the room and likely wouldn’t notice the pare back that much. There are other razors that I have that are easy to get rid of as I don’t find them very good shavers for me. A few slants come to mind right away.

I think I came up with a workable solution: shave with each razor for one week to get a good idea of it’s characteristics. This isn’t enough time to fully learn the razor, I definitely know that. But it’ll get me started knowing whether it is worth extra time learning or if I should just cut it loose. Rather than focusing on the overall collection, especially with the injectors, just focus on the actual shave with each and rid myself of the ones that do not seem they will provide a good shave. I may end up getting rid of some that I could regret in the future, but I think this is less likely. As of now, I’m definitely keeping razors that aren’t working. I need to get the amount of stuff in the house down, and I think this makes sense on how to start.

If anyone has other ideas, please let me know and open to other suggestions on what to do with everything. Thanks for the comments already.

My earlier flippant comment, was based on your initial question seeming to be weighted more towards collecting and accumulating, than offloading. Based on your follow up post though, I'd go for gradual reduction, rather than a purge.

Selecting one or two items to part with, feels less drastic, and may feel more like "focussing" rather than "purging", which can leave you feeling bereft, and in need of a therapeutic acquisition or seven to get over the shock and trauma of purging :biggrin1:

Also, offloading slowly, gives you a longer focus on that objective. The mind is kept busier in terms of the goal of reduction. Do it all at once, and there's too much brain space for new wants again. Doing it gradually, and more considered, will keep the new "wants" at bay, as you are still satisfying the current reduction "want". Better long term adjustment to having less.

As you have six drawers, I would look to reshuffling things, so that one drawer is a potential PIF/sale drawer. Leave the keepers in their respective place, and dump all the proposed disposals in one place. Look in that drawer frequently, and if something in there screams "save me", take it out and put something else in instead.

In time, you'll know when you're ready to take the next leap and actually get rid of some stuff from that drawer. Maybe not all at once, but that'll free up space for potential further reduction.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

I must be in a mood...

I found this LOL funny.

Certainly it's more about me than about what you wrote. Much of what you said reminds me of me. Sometimes I think about culling the herd...I use only one soap more than 90% of the time, I use only two DE blades, I use mostly a simple enough rotation of brushes...so maybe it could be done.

But then I think about the razors.

They continue to multiply.

It's simply just two things.
  1. I am a hobbyist.
  2. I am searching for the PUHG.
Other than that, I could be a minimalist.

Oh, also I'm too lazy to bother with getting rid of stuff unless I'm forced to.

[Pegasus Unicorn Holy Grail razor.]

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This is NOT as big a deal as it was before, but...

I can't tell you how much I hate reporting this but those "areas" are reappearing.

On the other hand, I've sufficiently controlled the variables enough to be certain it's an overdoing something issue.*

I can back off some on the gap with the Vision and/or do less work and/or do less of something.

Unfortunately I can't just skip shaving until the weekend, unless of course I decide I got a close enough shave this morning to go to my dental appointment and to work without another shave.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

*It is also possibly an overdoing something issue exacerbated by one of the products I used a few minutes ago to deal with minor itching. Those are
  1. 888 splash
  2. Hyaluronic acid
  3. Brickell's Face Moisturizer
None of which have previously bothered me to my knowledge.

However, I notice the "areas" before applying any of these products. Like I notice a little bit of pinkness like maybe I'd gone a bit too close. (But not inflammation.)

That said, I think the areas were inflamed by the products. (Inflammation is definite now, and wasn't before the products.)

I'm going to wash my face with soap now.

Last edited:
My earlier flippant comment, was based on your initial question seeming to be weighted more towards collecting and accumulating, than offloading. Based on your follow up post though, I'd go for gradual reduction, rather than a purge.

Selecting one or two items to part with, feels less drastic, and may feel more like "focussing" rather than "purging", which can leave you feeling bereft, and in need of a therapeutic acquisition or seven to get over the shock and trauma of purging :biggrin1:

Also, offloading slowly, gives you a longer focus on that objective. The mind is kept busier in terms of the goal of reduction. Do it all at once, and there's too much brain space for new wants again. Doing it gradually, and more considered, will keep the new "wants" at bay, as you are still satisfying the current reduction "want". Better long term adjustment to having less.

As you have six drawers, I would look to reshuffling things, so that one drawer is a potential PIF/sale drawer. Leave the keepers in their respective place, and dump all the proposed disposals in one place. Look in that drawer frequently, and if something in there screams "save me", take it out and put something else in instead.

In time, you'll know when you're ready to take the next leap and actually get rid of some stuff from that drawer. Maybe not all at once, but that'll free up space for potential further reduction.

All very good points, sir. You’ve given me a lot to ponder and a very good way to go forward with this den reduction. I rather like the idea of getting rid of a little at a time. I have a pile of stuff in another room that is going to the BST again, it went up previously but didn’t get purged so it will go up again (or get PIFd). The drawers I have are rather small, but I think adding to that area would serve the same purpose.

A lot of my desire to purge stems from my recent realization that I’ve really only used 5 razors or so (now up to 8 with the new GEM razor acquisitions) in the past year. I must not particularly like those other razors if I haven’t touched them in a year or longer. I’m not seeking them out. Same thing with the soaps. I’m getting my preferred soap scents figured out and now have my preferred brand(s). It’s simply a matter of doing as you suggest: moving things over and seeing if I miss them.

I have gotten rid of GEMs several times but have once again repurchased them as I’ve come to find they agree with my skin. I don’t want to repeat that mistake yet again, so a more measured den clean out seems quite appropriate.

Thank you again for your input sir.

I must be in a mood...

I found this LOL funny.

Certainly it's more about me than about what you wrote. Much of what you said reminds me of me. Sometimes I think about culling the herd...I use only one soap more than 90% of the time, I use only two DE blades, I use mostly a simple enough rotation of brushes...so maybe it could be done.

But then I think about the razors.

They continue to multiply.

It's simply just two things.
  1. I am a hobbyist.
  2. I am searching for the PUHG.
Other than that, I could be a minimalist.

Oh, also I'm too lazy to bother with getting rid of stuff unless I'm forced to.

[Pegasus Unicorn Holy Grail razor.]

Happy shaves,

Jim

I’ve come to realize my technique isn’t good enough that if I were to find the PUHG that I’d even recognize it. So, I’m working on technique and seeking to rid myself of clutter and razors that I am certain don’t work for me, or are not otherwise serving a purpose.

I think all of the comments I’ve received have helped me narrow down to one big criteria to use for the den deduction: what purpose does this (soap, razor, etc) serve in my den/shaves? There are many legitimate answers, which would change from person to person. I’ll have to answer for myself how important having an injector collection really is, for the collections sake. The combo I was so enamored with a few years ago, the type F with a proline B-20, was not as pleasant as remembered when I used it last. I’ll have to go through and utilize some of the razors to see if they truly do not have a place in the den.

As usual, you all have given me a lot to think on. Thanks! And glad I could provide some laughter for you!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I’ve come to realize my technique isn’t good enough that if I were to find the PUHG that I’d even recognize it.

That really hits home with me, too, Joel.

On the other hand, there are a few contenders. The FOCS. The WR2 1.15. Both are very hard to beat.

The only razors I feel I really should keep are those which make it into my highest category: Daily Drivers.

This mean they could be the one and only daily driver and I'd be fine.

Some good razors aren't Daily Driver candidates as I see things.

PUHG is a mythical category so far.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday my shave was pretty good using the Vision on a low setting.

10-7-21.Vision.Mistura.ShannonsSoaps-NIL.640.JPG

Vision.(2:11).10-7-21.640.JPG

I'm experimenting with the Vision's adjustments. Decided this morning to try a lower setting for today's shave. This is the 3rd setting assuming the fully closed position is the 1st.

Good position for this razor I think.

I like this scentless Shannon's Soap.

Cube/Tube. Same flipped Polsilver SI blade. No post shave products. Skin issues are not worse; probably caught the problem early.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom