Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Fatip Friday.

10-8-21.FOCS.Semogue.LE.3Band.Shannon'sSoap.NIL.640.JPG

Good kit today which included...
  • Cube for face washing in the shower.
  • Tube as a preshave.
  • A flipped Polsilver SI blade. (Boy, do they last or what!)
  • No post shave products.
I'm still bothered a bit by the recent skin issue. Not that it's bad, but I'm trying to be extremely careful.

proxy.php

I want these little areas to heal completely this time around. (I'd thought they healed last time, but I think they just looked healed.)

Above all I don't want to do more damage. (And I'm not.)

Tomorrow and Sunday I will skip my shaves. I will continue to baby the areas.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Interesting song, Mike. I'm not sure whether I like it or not, but I might. Sometimes I find JLH's sound a bit muddy for my taste. Sometimes it seems just right. Maybe it depends on my mood or something.

Something interesting showed up on my face this morning, too.

10-9-21.CrustySkin.640.JPGRedSkin.10-9-21.640.JPG

In both thumbnails I'm trying to show that this one area is a bit crusty looking and a bit red.

In none of my previous adventures with these areas has anything like this showed up. I'm going to take it as a good sign. (At least for the moment.)

The timing of this new manifestation is good as I have no need for a shave before Monday. I'd established on Thursday a plan. Very light shave (in the area) on Friday morning. No shaves on Saturday or Sunday. Just leave everything alone. See what happens by Monday.

It's possible I will apply some OTC cortisone, but not necessarily.

proxy.php

I'm not a dermatologist of course, but I have one on my team should I decide it's necessary to make an appointment. As most everyone probably knows an appointment with a dermatologist isn't usually scheduled immediately upon request. It's possible I already have one on my calendar for pretty soon; I'll check it out. My guess is everything will be hunky dory long before I could get a consultation.

Should I need 'em I now have photos to show should they be required.

I'm not worried about any of this, but I want it all to heal and stay healed. I believe the problems are entirely blade related which means I can towards that end improve my technique.

Happy shaves and good music to you,

Jim

Interesting song, Mike. I'm not sure whether I like it or not, but I might. Sometimes I find JLH's sound a bit muddy for my taste. Sometimes it seems just right. Maybe it depends on my mood or something.

Something interesting showed up on my face this morning, too.

View attachment 1342524View attachment 1342527

In both thumbnails I'm trying to show that this one area is a bit crusty looking and a bit red.

In none of my previous adventures with these areas has anything like this showed up. I'm going to take it as a good sign. (At least for the moment.)

The timing of this new manifestation is good as I have no need for a shave before Monday. I'd established on Thursday a plan. Very light shave (in the area) on Friday morning. No shaves on Saturday or Sunday. Just leave everything alone. See what happens by Monday.

It's possible I will apply some OTC cortisone, but not necessarily.

proxy.php

I'm not a dermatologist of course, but I have one on my team should I decide it's necessary to make an appointment. As most everyone probably knows an appointment with a dermatologist isn't usually scheduled immediately upon request. It's possible I already have one on my calendar for pretty soon; I'll check it out. My guess is everything will be hunky dory long before I could get a consultation.

Should I need 'em I now have photos to show should they be required.

I'm not worried about any of this, but I want it all to heal and stay healed. I believe the problems are entirely blade related which means I can towards that end improve my technique.

Happy shaves and good music to you,

Jim

I have no idea how she dug up the info but my girlfriend recently found us a dermatologist who runs a walk in clinic. Not terribly common I know but perhaps a little digging and you may find one?

That JLH album is cool in that he has a bunch of guest artists on it. The track above is with Carlos Santana on guitar!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have no idea how she dug up the info but my girlfriend recently found us a dermatologist who runs a walk in clinic. Not terribly common I know but perhaps a little digging and you may find one?

This morning my skin is much much improved.

It looks much better and feels much better. Just lightly rubbing the side of my lower lip where the one area was yesterday and simultaneously rubbing the opposite side of my lower lip where nothing was yesterday I can appreciate no difference in how they feel. I'm checking both the external skin and tissue and also the thickness of the lip by rubbing outside and inside my lip.

There's no swelling or anything of that sort. Visually the whole area looks much better than yesterday. Yesterday's crustiness is gone with they exception of a very tiny spot which looks like it has bit of scab, a very little bit.

It's clear to me all this was done by a blade. In other words, by me. That means only I can fix it. Well, God will fix it, but I have to not mess it up again.

Once again today I'm skipping a shave. When I return to my daily shaves I'm going to remember for a considerable time to baby this area.

I appreciate your comments. A walk in dermatology clinic? Wow. Nothing like that anywhere in this area.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday morning's shave was very good indeed.

10-11-21.Wolfman.1.15.SemogueLE3Band.SS-NIL.640.JPG

This Wolfman WR2 1.15 is a very hard to beat razor. There is a learning curve, but the razor started off feeling very smooth on my skin the first day I used it. Its efficiency and effectiveness have increased as I've learned it.

Today's shave was really good. Is that from taking off a couple of days and thus having a lot to remove? Maybe.

Brand new Wizamet SI blade today.

Love this LE brush. (The best of my silvertip 3 bands.) Really like my new soap. (NIL means no scent.); Shannon nailed it.

Cube2.0&Tube.2.0.640.8-24-21.JPG

⬅️ Preshave
Postshave ➡️
CrownKing.BayRum.Jug.Bottle.480.11-12-18.JPG

I wouldn't say there are no signs my skin has had recent issues, but there is only the tiniest spot needing to be totally avoided; staying away from it was a piece of cake. It's about as big as a medium small ant, or smaller.

The other "areas" which are still a tad darker than normal in color were easy to baby. (They are minimally different from the color of the rest of my skin.)

They're almost imaginary, but I know to take the whole shebang seriously. Learned the hard way of course.

This was a very good shave. Very good indeed. Very satisfying. Great results.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I skipping my shave today, Wednesday, because I noticed this morning almost matching on both sides of my lower lip small cuts. They're not any kind of big deal, but they are visible. I didn't even notice them during yesterday's shave. (I did notice other nicks during the shave.). Neither required a styptic pencil or anything.

proxy.php

Anyway, I can today get away without a shave.

As you know, I enjoy my daily shaves so this is a sacrifice.

Happy shaves to the rest of you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday's shave was good, but...

10-14-21.Wolfman-1.15.CH2-3 BAND.SS-NIL.640.JPG

I'm having something going on around my lower lip (Dept. of Old News, Part 27).

Even compared to the other issues in this area, none of which were a really big deal, this stuff if very minor. It is not however nothing.

Little annoying stuff.

I'll maybe skip Friday's shave (we'll see) and definitely skip Saturday and Sunday.

I want it all gone forever.

I used a splash but I've forgotten which one. Probably Divers Down.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My new Blackland Brass Open Comb baseplate arrived a couple of days ago.

Blackbird.OpenComb.Brass.Baseplate.Ti.NY.10-14-21.JPG

Presenting my mixed metal Blackbird OC...
  • Custom made for the Blackbird's baseplate New York Tibam titanium handle. Shorter than most. Matte finish.
  • NY Tibam stand, titanium. Matte finish.
  • Blackland Blackbird brass open comb baseplate, polished.
  • Blackland Blackbird stainless steel cap, polished.
I like how it looks.

I do not always like mixed metals but this I do.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My skin looks pretty good this morning, but not quite 100% healed. I could probably get away with an undamaging shave today, but damage would be possible. I do not want to risk further damage. I want my skin to be 100% healed, deeply better, before shaving again.

Towards that end my boss has made an executive decision to declare this no shave Friday. (My boss would be yours truly.) Nobody will complain. I look certainly socially acceptable. I'll work virtually today too.

Saturday and Sunday shaves are easy to skip.

Hopefully I can start fresh and healed on Monday. I'll have the weekend to contemplate which razor I'll use.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My skin looks pretty good this morning, but not quite 100% healed. I could probably get away with an undamaging shave today, but damage would be possible. I do not want to risk further damage. I want my skin to be 100% healed, deeply better, before shaving again.

Towards that end my boss has made an executive decision to declare this no shave Friday. (My boss would be yours truly.) Nobody will complain. I look certainly socially acceptable. I'll work virtually today too.

Saturday and Sunday shaves are easy to skip.

Hopefully I can start fresh and healed on Monday. I'll have the weekend to contemplate which razor I'll use.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Many people can comfortably get away with shaving every other day. I suspect you might too Jim. If so, only shaving two days out of seven, Mondays and Wednesdays, with virtual working on Fridays, should give good scope for deep (not just superficial) healing, as you say.

Less than ideal for someone who enjoys shaving so much, but five healing days per week should expedite full recovery. Your open comb "OCtober" razors will easily romp through that five day growth on Monday mornings.

Towards that end my boss has made an executive decision to declare this no shave Friday. (My boss would be yours truly.)

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to give yourself a promotion and profit sharing!!!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Many people can comfortably get away with shaving every other day. I suspect you might too Jim. If so, only shaving two days out of seven, Mondays and Wednesdays, with virtual working on Fridays, should give good scope for deep (not just superficial) healing, as you say.

Less than ideal for someone who enjoys shaving so much, but five healing days per week should expedite full recovery. Your open comb "OCtober" razors will easily romp through that five day growth on Monday mornings.

Al, I've shaved daily for a very long time, but there was a time back when I used cartridge razors when I often skipped Saturday and Sunday which meant I loved my Monday shave best. There's just something great about a shave with somewhat longer whiskers to whack and skin which has had a chance to rest up and grow some anticipation.

For most of the time other than occasional dry skin issues my skin has been fine.

These recent skin issues are an aberration and a puzzle.

But, yes, you're right I could probably get away with shaving every other day. That has not always been the case and it wouldn't now be the case with all razors, but I've learned to use some of the more efficient razors which give me a longer lasting shave.

Either the FOCS or the SB Wolfman WR2 1.15 will make short work of things Monday morning. (A good many others would too should I pick one of them instead which is a possibility.)

All that said, I enjoy daily shaves and I enjoy the freshly shaved feel and look.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom