What's new

Where is the Tallow?!

Might want to wait until passing your judgement, OP has been here only one month -- has he used pucks of the old formula? Let us see what some die-hard Tabac users say after trying the new version.
Good point. Seems he may have used the old formula from post 102, but I'm assuming and we all know what that means. We will see more evaluations popping up as time passes.

Unfortunately the whiz-bangs seemed to have whizzed instead of banged. See OP's trials post 102;

Or it could be the classic placebo effect in action too, who knows.

You don’t need tallow for a good soap recipe, La Toja is a perfect example. Barbasol is yet another.

I ordered a Tabac Shave Bowl and one refill. As often as I use Tabac that should hold me for years. Perhaps by then dwindling sales will convince the manufacturer to go back to the original formulation.

I've personally only seen one soap that reverted and that was Crabtree and Evelyn, but even that wasn't a full retreat. They had a tallow formula that became a potassium palmate base, which worked rather well but still not as well as the tallow formula. Then they reformulated again to use the dreaded sodium palmate base and then after a few years, they went back to the potassium palmate base. Other than that, I'm not aware of any soap to move from tallow to non-tallow then back to tallow.

Might want to wait until passing your judgement, OP has been here only one month -- has he used pucks of the old formula? Let us see what some die-hard Tabac users say after trying the new version.

I doubt M&W is going to completely blow it.
I'm all for trying it, the ingredient list does not look bad TBH. Another example of what I disagree with the consensus would the AOS's new soap base which many claim is a bust. Valobra is my favourite soap, but the new AOS potassium palmate base is not a bad soap IMO, however, I do feel the price point is too high for what it is. Hopefully, I'll try the new Tabac and like it, even if it isn't as good as the old Tabac and few soaps really are.

I decided to get my first puck of Tabac. It was a no-brainer. With all of the great reviews, how could I not? That was about two months ago. I even went whole hog and got the dish/mug. I figured if I like it I will order refills. I am one of the chosen. It's great in every way for me.

After reading this thread I went straight to its ingredients list. The word tallow appears three times. Now I'm not sure if I can refill my mug. I have heard that it's almost impossible to 3017. I hope that's true.

D.R. Harris is terrific. You're in for a lovely treat.
And their soaps last for a long time.

Thanks. I just love those hard triple-milled soaps. How long do you suppose a puck of Harris might last me (assuming I shave daily with it)? Tabac was my go-to soap for months, and I just loved the glorious lather it produced... it almost felt like having a layer of oil on my face. How would DRH compare to Tabac, in your opinion?

Thanks. I just love those hard triple-milled soaps. How long do you suppose a puck of Harris might last me (assuming I shave daily with it)? Tabac was my go-to soap for months, and I just loved the glorious lather it produced... it almost felt like having a layer of oil on my face. How would DRH compare to Tabac, in your opinion?
About that layer thing…
Have you ever tried Vitos Extra Super Coco?
Cheap as chips but a great performer WITH tallow.

When has this happened?
I got some of the green but haven’t tried it yet. How is it?

Vitos/Susan Darnell put a catalogue a few years ago with details of it but I'd not seen any of them for sale until the last few months.

Not tried the new reformulation myself though.

Goodfellas Smile has it here it

They still have the red versions in the tallow formulation but I guess it is a matter of time til they switch those over to Palm Oil as well.

Vitos/Susan Darnell put a catalogue a few years ago with details of it but I'd not seen any of them for sale until the last few months.

Not tried the new reformulation myself though.

Goodfellas Smile has it here it

They still have the red versions in the tallow formulation but I guess it is a matter of time til they switch those over to Palm Oil as well.

Yeah, they have the tallow one here: Vitos Shaving Soap Block (Extra Super Coco) - 1Kg - https://www.maguiresbarbershop.co.uk/vitos-shaving-soap-block-extra-super-coco-1kg/

But 1kg is too much for me.

I thought of dividing it by 8 and putting it individually wrapped in the freezer.
In the end I just went with the 500 gram tube that is yet another base. It’s good but not as good as the tallow.
8A749E0E-056D-4F0B-8A2C-0C51A5B099B2.jpeg

I thought of dividing it by 8 and putting it individually wrapped in the freezer.
In the end I just went with the 500 gram tube that is yet another base. It’s good but not as good as the tallow.
View attachment 1301769

Good stuff. That little Mogno soap that you have there was given to me as a gift with one my recent purchases. I still haven't used it and don't know what it's all about.

Good stuff. That little Mogno soap that you have there was given to me as a gift with one my recent purchases. I still haven't used it and don't know what it's all about.
That is the Bath Soap and I used it now for two weeks straight, a classic subdued soap scent but I like the Ach Brito Musgo (not Musgo Real) a bit better.
AF7D80B3-B8B4-4BDA-B039-5A4FD77DE78E.jpeg

The Mogno shaving soap is bit smaller than the bath soap and was gifted to me by @mc57 but I haven’t used it yet either. @Marco is a big fan of it
BA69525C-50E5-4382-A563-A49A16998B66.jpeg

Heard good things about it.

It's another soap which is now difficult to buy in the UK. All in all it's not been the best few months for some UK based wet shavers.

Heard good things about it.

It's another soap which is now difficult to buy in the UK. All in all it's not been the best few months for some UK based wet shavers.
Connaught dropped some of their European merchandise and they always had excellent prices on their stuff…
It’s Brexit related I guess and it goes both ways. Shipping and customs/handling fees from the UK to the EU have risen sharply as well. The sweet spot is now between EUR 100-150 to compensate for flat rate costs.

Top Bottom