What's new

*Fatip Slant*

Well, that's 30€ down the drain for me 😑
I should had listened to my first tought and first impresions of the Italian youtuber guys -they did not looked very impressed at all- but they got so much hype here.
Maybe if i'm gonna pass through Italy, i will check them out personally, like the other guy here that passed them at the Dolciamascolo store because they where to misaligned, but i will never again buy them online.

Attachments

• IMG_20210606_182427.jpg
    IMG_20210606_182427.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20210606_182421.jpg
    IMG_20210606_182421.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20210606_182412.jpg
    IMG_20210606_182412.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20210606_182312.jpg
    IMG_20210606_182312.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20210606_182305.jpg
    IMG_20210606_182305.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 104
I should had listened to my first tought and first impresions of the Italian youtuber guys -they did not looked very impressed at all- but they got so much hype here.
Maybe if i'm gonna pass through Italy, i will check them out personally, like the other guy here that passed them at the Dolciamascolo store because they where to misaligned, but i will never again buy them online.
Did you do the upside down drop it in move or are the posts so crooked that you have to force the blade on them? Is there some wiggle room to realign?

I received my FOCS on Friday and comparing it to my 2014 Piccolo, it is a step up in terms of both manufacturing quality and shaving comfort. Still not good: the top cap sits tightly on top of the safety bar only on one side. My piccolo was a bloodbath though - I simply had to sell back then, the FOCS is a keeper. Tomorrow I will shave off a week old moustache with the FOCS to see where it stands vs Rockwell 6S and then place my verdict.

I'm not sure if it's just my eyes or the perspective of the photos, but the blade edges look fairly aligned with the combs. That's the way it should be.

The blade edges won't align with the cap's edges unless the blade really is loaded crooked.

However, if there is an uncorrectable misalignment, then an exchange with your vendor is in order.

Nice, I use the 6S myself, and I just ordered the FOCS today. I'm curious what you'll think.
In summary, the Rockwell is the better razor hands down. The FOCS is usable though, I would say the shave is similar to Rockwell S6 R6 - effective but unnecessarily aggressive. The only advantage of the FOCS construction-wise is under the nose, because the Rockwell head is too bulky. I had to apply more pressure with the FOCS though, which in turn makes the shave less comfortable. Also the fact that the blade is properly clamped only on one side has the consequence that only one side is usable on auto-pilot.
The slant bar is an advantage for long beard, but not as important as the weight of the razor in my experience. I would recommend the FOCS for folks who don't shave daily, have a tough beard with insensitive skin or just want to try out an open comb or slant bar DE. Also, the FOCS is the only Fatip product I can recommend.

The blade is supposed to align with the base plate. The blade does not align with the cap because of the slant geometry. Did you try shaving with it, or did you just decide to give up on it before trying it? Just load the blade with the cap upside down and tighten the handle, see where you end up without trying to force the blade to look a certain way.

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
The alignment on this picture looks correct for a slant. Both sides the blade runs even with the comb.

As @Demolition said: I'm not sure if it's just my eyes or the perspective of the photos, but the blade edges look fairly aligned with the combs. That's the way it should be.

The blade edges won't align with the cap's edges unless the blade really is loaded crooked.

IMG_20210606_182427.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The alignment on this picture looks correct for a slant. Both sides the blade runs even with the comb.

As @Demolition said: I'm not sure if it's just my eyes or the perspective of the photos, but the blade edges look fairly aligned with the combs. That's the way it should be.

View attachment 1278117

^^^^^ +1 to this ^^^^^

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm not sure if it's just my eyes or the perspective of the photos, but the blade edges look fairly aligned with the combs. That's the way it should be.

However, if there is an uncorrectable misalignment, then an exchange with your vendor is in order.

The photos could be showing me something other than reality, too, but what I see looks okay to me.

The blade should NOT align with the cap. The blade should align with the outer edges of the combs.

I have lots of Fatips. Rarely do I have to fiddle with alignment. Never have I had to fiddle with the alignment of either of my FOCS razors.

How does yours shave, OP?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Never have I had to fiddle with the alignment of ... my FOCS ...

This. The blade exposure is different for both sides on my FOCS, so I use only the side with the smaller exposure. Also, I need to correct my previous post: FOCS is like S6R5, not R6. Regardless, @OP: if you suspect any issues, just contact the vendor and replace your Grande for a FOCS. The razor should still be within the returns time frame.

The FOCS is my planned razor for Slant Saturday this week.
And so it was, chambered with a new Personna Red blade. Three smooth passes left behind a near-BBS face (the cheeks might actually be BBS; the throat is as close as I want to come without risking irritation).

Whenever I use the Fatip, and also the Merkur Progress, I wonder for a moment why I bother with any other razors . . . then, of course, I use my Tech or Red Tip or Slim, and I wonder why I bother with modern razors. . . .

I used to believe that the blade should align with the cap and with a German 37 I bought as a newbie spent significant time trying to do so.

Fast forward a couple of years and I got the same advice from a couple of FOCS fans featured a few post above.

Now I don’t think twice. Just load the blade tighten down and go.

May not look right or pretty, and it doesn’t, but it shaves just fine and I use nothing else now.

I haven’t LEARNED to shave with a bad razor because it isn’t. It was MY PERCEPTION that was wrong.

Unless it’s clearly unsafe try a tentative shave. You might be very pleasantly surprised.

I was, I still am and the advice given about not aligning the cap was spot on. You may be throwing away the best razor you ever bought.

On the other hand, some might not agree with that

Top Bottom