What's new

*Fatip Slant*

I just received a FOCS from Maggard Razors.

Is this kind of scratching and scoring normal for a new Fatip razor? The razor came in a box that was already ripped as well. It feels like I was sent a razor that has already been returned once. Alignment seems fine, so maybe I should just not worry about it and use it.

View attachment 1269249View attachment 1269250View attachment 1269251View attachment 1269252
If this was my order I would talk to the vendor, since the dent in the handle is not acceptable imo. But again, maybe that's just me being picky.

The other marks shown on the top cap/base plate is what the Fatip lovers plain and simple call "character " 😉

If this was my order I would talk to the vendor, since the dent in the handle is not acceptable imo. But again, maybe that's just me being picky.

The other marks shown on the top cap/base plate is what the Fatip lovers plain and simple call "character " 😉
My razor did not look like that at all. There might have been a couple of tiny marks on the base plate, but otherwise fine. That one from @The Seasonal Shaver looks like it was loose in the box and got banged around pretty hard during shipping (at the least).

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I just received a FOCS from Maggard Razors.

Is this kind of scratching and scoring normal for a new Fatip razor? The razor came in a box that was already ripped as well. It feels like I was sent a razor that has already been returned once. Alignment seems fine, so maybe I should just not worry about it and use it.

View attachment 1269249View attachment 1269250View attachment 1269251View attachment 1269252

I've purchased three Fatip slants and a bunch of other Fatip razors. None looked like that. Not at all.

Fatips are not Wolfman razors of course, but they should look new and perform perfectly. Personally I could not care less about the cardboard, but I have no Fatip razors which, even years into my ownership and use of them, look beat up.

If I'd purchased one of my vintage razors from an eBay vendor who described it as nice or anything better than "user grade" and it arrived looking like your Fatip, I'd get my money back.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Emailed Maggard Razors and got a quick reply.

Brad seems to think this is just how Fatips get delivered.

His response:

"So, pretty much all of Fatip's razors look like this. Their boxes are a really poor design too. What happens when it ships from Europe --> USA, in transit the razor moves around, and the weight causes the internal cardboard to tear. It looks bad, I agree, but, every single box is usually like that.

As for dings/marks/etc? Par for the course with Fatip unfortunately. Guess that's how they keep their price down.

We don't sell used razors; when we do get returns they go on a discount shelf here!!

If you'd still like to return you may."

I've had nothing but good experiences with Maggard's, so I'm inclined to agree with him.

I'm sure it will shave fine and it's not an expensive razor, so might as well give it try. I can always PIF it along if it's not my cup of tea.

TST

His response:

"So, pretty much all of Fatip's razors look like this..."

I've had nothing but good experiences with Maggard's, so I'm inclined to agree with him...

Several of us have just responded to your earlier post to say that, no, they don't all look like that. My Fatip Piccolo from Italian Barber did not look like that. My FOCS from Gifts&Care in Spain, that traveled over 3,500 miles to get here during the pandemic did not look anything as bad as that. I understand Brad doesn't like to deal with returns, but really not all of them look like that. Maybe his do, I don't know, but he has badmouthed Fatip quality for years now. It seems to be a sore spot with him.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

His response:

"So, pretty much all of Fatip's razors look like this. Their boxes are a really poor design too. What happens when it ships from Europe --> USA, in transit the razor moves around, and the weight causes the internal cardboard to tear. It looks bad, I agree, but, every single box is usually like that.

As for dings/marks/etc? Par for the course with Fatip unfortunately. Guess that's how they keep their price down.

We don't sell used razors; when we do get returns they go on a discount shelf here!!

I've had nothing but good experiences with Maggard's, so I'm inclined to agree with him.

I'm sure it will shave fine and it's not an expensive razor, so might as well give it try. I can always PIF it along if it's not my cup of tea.

TST

I have a bunch of Fatips that don't look like that. Bet you a nickel none of Rave's Fatips [that's Rave '@Raven Koenes] arrived with dings and marks either. Between us we have about forty of 'em. Maybe we just got lucky?

I did have a Schöne which was returned because of issues with the threads and perhaps with alignment. It's replacement was very nice indeed.

All that said, I'd bet yours shaves well, but maybe not.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Several of us have just responded to your earlier post to say that, no, they don't all look like that. My Fatip Piccolo from Italian Barber did not look like that. My FOCS from Gifts&Care in Spain, that traveled over 3,500 miles to get here during the pandemic did not look anything as bad as that. I understand Brad doesn't like to deal with returns, but really not all of them look like that. Maybe his do, I don't know, but he has badmouthed Fatip quality for years now. It seems to be a sore spot with him.

I didn't post his response to discount anything that was said here. I believe you guys. I guess I was just trying to be more informational than anything. I'm just not sure responding to him and saying that "the guys on B&B disagree with you" will get me anywhere. It's not like it's a razor that broke the bank, and it appears the alignment is good, so I might just use it and not worry about it. I've never tried a slant before. I suppose I could return it and get another, but the grass isn't always greener. Just another first-world problem.

I have a gold FOCS I purchased from Top of the Chain in Canada. Like mentioned above by everybody else, my box was torn in the same way. The razor itself I received had minor marking on the underside of the cap which isn’t seen when assembled but mine did not have the damage yours does and I don’t think it is par for the course like Brad said it is. It’s not an expensive razor compared to other razors but it isn’t a cheap item either, mine was $50 CAD without shipping, so I would expect when I receive a brand new $50 item, it looks new, not like somebody forgot they put it in there pant pocket and it went through a cycle in the washer and dryer.

... I suppose I could return it and get another, but the grass isn't always greener. Just another first-world problem.

How could the grass not be greener, I can’t imagine how you could get another one that looks any worse than what you received. It’s your razor and do what you want with it but I know that would drive me nuts every time I looked at so I wouldn’t end up using it so I would have wasted my money.

I’ve made over a dozen orders from Brad and Maggards and have had no bad dealings with them or had to make a return so don’t have any issue with them but from his response here and other issues members have posted recently, it makes me a little hesitant to go to their site first if looking at a new purchase. I know you don’t care what I think but I’d personally return the razor for a refund and purchase it from another vendor that has a good reputation for customer service incase the next one has an issue. Just my 2 cents and good luck.

My FOCS travelled from England (via Connaught) to Canada and arrived in perfect shape (see my original post in this thread from July 2020). The exterior of the box was immaculate and the interior only had some minor scuffing from the razor handle swinging side to side. So, this disproves Brad's contention that every Fatip razor gets beat up in transit.

Here are the photos from that post, plus a photo from a later post showing the cap after my FOCS' first use (displaying only fingerprints, dust flecks, and some soap scum... not gouges and chunks missing like @The Seasonal Shaver's razor!):

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

... The exterior of the box was immaculate and the interior only had some minor scuffing from the razor handle swinging side to side. So, this disproves Brad's contention that every Fatip razor gets beat up in transit...

proxy.php

You misunderstood what I said. I didn’t say every Fatip gets beat up in transit, I said everybody mentions their box being torn the same way, the same way the inside of yours is torn in your second picture, where the head of the razor is secured in the slot in the packaging

I'm now a week into shaving with my Piccolo OC slant and I am really starting to get comfortable with it. I can easily get a DFS with no nicks or irritation and a BBS with a little work but generally end up with some discomfort on my neck. I've tried three different blades so far and a few different soaps and as long as I have a slick lather and keep the angle pretty steep I can get a good shave.

I'm now a week into shaving with my Piccolo OC slant and I am really starting to get comfortable with it. I can easily get a DFS with no nicks or irritation and a BBS with a little work but generally end up with some discomfort on my neck. I've tried three different blades so far and a few different soaps and as long as I have a slick lather and keep the angle pretty steep I can get a good shave.
Imo -steep- is the way to good results with the FOCS

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Imo -steep- is the way to good results with the FOCS

Steep is definitely the way to go with the FOCS. 🦊 :punk:

His response:

TST
I received 2 Fatips from Maggard's this past Monday (5-17) & neither one looked like that, including the boxes. Only issue I had was Fed Ex screwed up the 2 day shipping & Maggard's issued the credit.

Top Bottom