What's new

Best razor to tackle a very tough beard with sensitive skin

Hi guys, wondering if someone can help here. I'm new to the forums so apologies if this hasn't been posted in the right place. Apologies also for the long post :)

I'm fairly new to DE shaving, about 3 months now. I am totally blind I have no eyesight, so as you can imagine there have been a few nicks and cuts along the way but actually I think my technique is fairly good at this point.
I am half Iranian, which means I have a very very very very tough beard. I also have fairly sensitive skin which doesn't help.

I've tried 3 razors as follows:
Rex ambassador; my 1st razor, reason being that I could start on 1 and adjust as I got more experienced. I quite like it, blade feel is a bit too much for me but it gets the job done.
R41GS, my 2nd razor, realized I had a very tough beard and got that to try and mo through it. Does the job fairly well but I believe it has blade chatter, also I hate that the blade needs manual alignment or else it doesn't sit straight.
Henson aluminium medium, gave an amazingly smooth fairly irritation free shave which surprised me. I think I need something more aggressive as it needs multiple passes though.

So, finally, my problem. I can shave every other day and get a good BBS smooth shave. By BBS, I mean I can run my fingers against the grain of the face and feel no stubble. Obviously my fingers are very sensitive so I'm hyper aware of how BBS should really feel :)
If I try and shave every day however, oh boy. It looks alright I'm told, but the blade just skips across my stubble especially against the grain and the skin just hurts, no matter what razor I use. It's almost as if the stubble hasn't grown enough out of the skin for it to be cut off properly, and the bit that is sticking out is just too tough for the razor to catch. The henson can just about do it but then the skin is really raw afterwards.

I've come up with a few possible options but really interested to know what you guys think or if there is something I've missed.
1. Buy a Henson Titanium aggressive razor. It should be fairly irritation free, it's a known quantity as I've tried the medium aluminium and it should be fairly safe to use and might just give me that extra bit of edge without chatter.
2. Buy a 1blade core. Never tried this before but the theory goes if the blade is thicker it might handle the beard better. It puts me off that I have to use just one type of more expensive blade though and not sure how gimmicky the 1blade is.
3. Buy a Timeless T95 Titanium, with the theory being that it might be better than the henson, I can choose open comb etc. Have no experience with this company though but told blade chatter is non-existent.
4. What might be the only option, shave every other day as maybe I'm just one of those people who can't shave every day :)

What do you guys think?
BTW I'm using Proraso pre-shave cream, a fit jar soap but have also tried various others including Mitchell's. I find a thinner soap lets me cut closer to the skin. I also use Bulldog moisturiser after the shave which works wonders for me.

thanks.

Welcome! I would say that Henson AL13 Medium is the perfect starting point for you. As many will say, don't worry about shaves being BBS at first, it's something that will come with time. And when you don't expect it. Happy shaves!

There's not usually much need to go for BBS every day, especially if you have sensitive skin... Sometimes a quick WTG only for a SAS (socially acceptable shave) will be enough to look presentable for the day whilst allowing for a closer DFS to BBS by doing 3 or 4 passes including against the grain.

Plenty of time to experiment and find what works for you - if that's slightly different from "the rest of us" (as nonsensical as the idea that we're all doing the same is!!) that's absolutely fine!

If my memory serves me well there was an Indian or at least Asian member with the same issue somewhere last year.
so it might be worth doing a search to dig his journey up.

Welcome aboard.

Here is a thread that might be helpful:

There are some posters on this thread who might have some good advice:

Good luck

Don’t overlook the Feather AS-D2. I nearly sold mine last year, in fact I had it listed on eBay. I’m glad I gave it a second chance and still have it. I’ve been using it exclusively for several weeks now, and I’m getting bbs shaves. I can use it every day without causing irritation. I was using a Muhle R41 quite a bit thinking I had to use a more aggressive razor to get the shave I wanted. Admittedly my beard is probably not as course as yours, but even with 3 or 4 days growth I get excellent results. I’m just throwing my results out for your consideration, learn to use the AS-D2 properly, and it is more than capable of being a true daily driver. Good luck with your search.

Just make sure you do an awesome prep to soften it as much as possible and have the best glide possible.
and if I remember correctly sharp blades work better as an aggressive razor in this case

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Yeah it may be that I just have a face that doesn't much care for daily shaves. I am really tempted by the henson Titanium aggressive I never expected the Medium to work as well as it did but it's fairly amazing on my beard although it still hurts on a daily basis if I go against the grain.
I read on this forum somewhere and I think it's the same with me, if I get a BBS shave and then try the same trick next day it hurts a lot more. Think my hair just needs to push out of the face a bit before I can tackle it.

I'm going to try the Rex on 6 on Monday, will have 2 days of growth then so should get a really nice shave with it. BTW I only use feather blades, anything else is just painful for me. When I started, I tried the Rex with a GSB. couldn't work out why I had to keep dialing it up and up :)
Feather ASD2 I'm also really tempted by as I love the blades so much, but not sure how close it would actually shave me.
Do any of you guys have experience with the Timeless? specifically the 95 blade gap? are they worth it?

MR X, there are different schools of thought on which razors provide the best shaves for those with sensitive skin. For some, the answer is a more aggressive razor so a close shave can be achieved with fewer passes. For others, like myself I find a mild razor tends to be easier on my skin. I shave daily and I try for a BBS shave. For me it means at least three passes and blade buffing. That requires me to make good lather and use smooth blades. I also hate the feeling of razor stubble. I don't know which razor blades you use but finding one that feels smoothest to you is important. Since you have a tough beard, the sharpest blades might work best for you. In my experience the sharpest blades are not the most comfortable. You should experiment with many blades to find a blade that works well for you and is smooth. Going back to your Rex Ambassador, have you tried steep angle shaving? Steep angle shaving is the opposite of riding the cap. You place the guard of the razor onto your face with the handle parallel to your face. As you begin to make your stroke, tilt the handle away from your face slightly until you feel the blade edge begin to cut your beard. You can control how much blade feel you get this way and it might just tame your Rex. I recently got a Wolfman razor that is more aggressive that I am used to and steep angle shaving is helping me get the most out of that razor comfortably. Good Luck!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have tangled barbed wire for a beard. Really a pain to get through. My skin, however, is not sensitive.

My suggestion is for an efficient razor that is also smooth, an effective razor. Please bear in mind that I am not a fan of the Henson style head.

So......all of the following is my opinion and YMMV. :)

From the razors you've purchased to date, and the razors you are researching (Timeless Ti 0.95), I'll presume that you are good at $200 +/-.

Don't know if you will consider a Single Edge razor? If you will, the Blackland Razors Vector SB is a great choice. Takes Artist Club (AC) blades. You can fine tune the efficiency and blade feel by the blade you choose. There are AC blades with guards that maintain some efficiency and are incredibly smooth. This is my #1 favorite AC blade razor. Get the machined finish and no stand and you are right in the $200 range.
20210711_101801~2.jpg

For DE razors:

The Timeless Ti Slim SB is my favorite Timeless. Smooth and efficient. Not a ton of blade feel.
20210706_220138~2.jpg

Mühle Rocca R95 V4. Efficient, smooth. Very effective. Has a bit more blade feel but still very much under control. At $100, an excellent value.
20210722_145910~2.jpg

Karve Brass SB-C or SB-D. Flexible - you determine which plate(s) to get and how much blade exposure. Both the SB-C and SB-D are efficient and smooth without a ton of blade feel. At $100, one of the best buys in DE razors.
image.jpg

ATT Mixed Metal CR1. Medium+ efficient. Smooth. Not a lot of blade feel.
20210204_204312~2.jpg

Did not include the Blackland Blackbird razor because they do have a fair amount of blade feel nor the Wolfman razor due to waiting list duration and (even with a good 3rd party handle) you are closer to $300.

You may also want to review my mid-priced razor comparison thread:

Hope this helped. :cool:

I wouldn't call my skin super sensitive, but it gets irritated fairly easy if i'm not careful, if I rush my prep or if I use a very harsh razor or blade. You might have to changing your prep routine and experiment with say cold water, using a hair conditioner/shampoo to soften your whiskers or perhaps a pre shave oil or cream ( i'm kinda sceptical, but some people find them useful).

As for DE razors, the best ones that i've used and recommend are - Merkur Progress, Razorock Lupo DC (i'm using mostly the .95 side) and Razorock Game Changer .84 sb (not the most efficient for me, but it gets the job done).

You might also concider trying SE razors as well like vintage or modern GEM style razors or maybe injectors or AC type razors.

I would recommend a few things:

A quality shaving cream that you whip into a wet slick lather (rather than a thick lather.)

A good reputable blade such as Nacet or Feather or Gillette.

An smooth efficient razor such as a RazoRock German 37 slant or their Mentor razor (Maggard sells it in gray under the model V2C) or a Timeless .95 OC if you have the money and want an heirloom razor.

Technique and lather quality are everything. Maintain a perfect angle, don't apply pressure when shaving and make multiple passes in such a manner.

Good luck.

Thanks guys, wow so many responses so much to think about :) single edge razors seem to be harder to come by in the UK. What is a slant razor? can anyone explain? if I were to get a Timeless t95, what would be peoples suggestions for configuration? I was going to go with an open comb and scalloped cap. I should also say I'm leaning towards the Titanium since I find a lighter razor a little easier to move around my face. I think sometimes it's because I have to sort of feel my way with the end of the razor and i can apply a lot less movement or pressure when doing that with something light. This is one reason the henson al worked for me even if it took many passes to remove the hair.

Thanks guys, wow so many responses so much to think about :) single edge razors seem to be harder to come by in the UK. What is a slant razor? can anyone explain? if I were to get a Timeless t95, what would be peoples suggestions for configuration? I was going to go with an open comb and scalloped cap. I should also say I'm leaning towards the Titanium since I find a lighter razor a little easier to move around my face. I think sometimes it's because I have to sort of feel my way with the end of the razor and i can apply a lot less movement or pressure when doing that with something light. This is one reason the henson al worked for me even if it took many passes to remove the hair.
Open comb base with scalloped head in Titanium is just perfect. I know you'll love it and you should get along just fine with it.

I will try to explain this without using my eyesight. Okay when you are using a regular DE you feel the the safety bar against your face and it is at a ninety degree angle to the top of the handle. With a slant as you feel the handle and the handle being in a straight up and down position; the safety bar will be at an angle on each side of the double edge in relation to the top of the handle, offset about twenty degrees.

Trying a physical way to explain now: Hold your arms in front of you at chest height, make an X touching the middle part of your forearms together (directly in between your wrist and elbow.), were they meet imagine a line directly (left or right) as a handle. This is best I can do as a sighted person and trying to explain without eyes. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have the timeless in polished Titanium the cap is the scallop or one with lines but its the .68
I do have the straight and scallop and comb bar and I prefer the comb

but am going to continuous play with the others just to really know what I love :)

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have a thick and wiry beard and like a BBS every day. I use an Above the Tie Windsor. I have three plates, the stainless regular, the copper regular, and the copper mild. I use the mild the most, with a sharp blade it is pretty darned smooth. This week I used a Nacet to good effect.

I would consider feather, standto mate, karve C, rockwell s6, timeles 68 SB, ATT Mixed Metal CR1 ,blackland tradere
KAI feather and timor blades
I have hard stubble and I forgot what the irritation on my neck looks like, I shave every day
blades last 3 days, maybe 4 days, a hard beard has disadvantages :straight:

Top Bottom