What's new

Best razor to tackle a very tough beard with sensitive skin

Reading all these answers, SE razors are something I feel I should try. Is there anywhere in the UK that sells modern new SE razors? I don'tmind spending a bit of money but I don't want to go cutthroat If possible I'm hoping using an SE won't be too different from using a DE. I've looked on Executive shaving which is my go to but they seem to only sell the 1blade unless I'm mistaken?

The RazorRock Hawk v3 SS is probably the most economical way to try out a good modern SE on the cheap. Even with shipping from Canada to UK it will be far less than most comparable AC style SE razors. The OC (open comb) base plate is probably the best for a tough beard.

Tough beard with sensitive skin here. Aluminum Lupo paired with either Gillete Silver Blue or Polsilver works very well for me.

Since you're in the UK, I would suggest an EJ 3one6. It's a great razor that shaves smooth and close. The Ti22 from Henson is a great razor as well and would be a solid choice for sensitive skin. I have both and they provide very similar results....BBS with no irritation.

The RazorRock Hawk v3 SS is probably the most economical way to try out a good modern SE on the cheap. Even with shipping from Canada to UK it will be far less than most comparable AC style SE razors. The OC (open comb) base plate is probably the best for a tough beard.

HI guys, thought I'd check back in as I've made significant progress over the past few months. It turns out, slants are the way to go for me. I'm going to detail out a whole shaving routine in a couple of months as still experimenting which soap works better for me. However at the moment I have an ATT S1 and it is the only razor I can shave daily with and not have my face fall off. I'm looking forward to the Rex Konsul slant as well then I can really dial in to the effectiveness for my skin.

Hi guys, wondering if someone can help here. I'm new to the forums so apologies if this hasn't been posted in the right place. Apologies also for the long post :)

I'm fairly new to DE shaving, about 3 months now. I am totally blind I have no eyesight, so as you can imagine there have been a few nicks and cuts along the way but actually I think my technique is fairly good at this point.
I am half Iranian, which means I have a very very very very tough beard. I also have fairly sensitive skin which doesn't help.

I've tried 3 razors as follows:
Rex ambassador; my 1st razor, reason being that I could start on 1 and adjust as I got more experienced. I quite like it, blade feel is a bit too much for me but it gets the job done.
R41GS, my 2nd razor, realized I had a very tough beard and got that to try and mo through it. Does the job fairly well but I believe it has blade chatter, also I hate that the blade needs manual alignment or else it doesn't sit straight.
Henson aluminium medium, gave an amazingly smooth fairly irritation free shave which surprised me. I think I need something more aggressive as it needs multiple passes though.

So, finally, my problem. I can shave every other day and get a good BBS smooth shave. By BBS, I mean I can run my fingers against the grain of the face and feel no stubble. Obviously my fingers are very sensitive so I'm hyper aware of how BBS should really feel :)
If I try and shave every day however, oh boy. It looks alright I'm told, but the blade just skips across my stubble especially against the grain and the skin just hurts, no matter what razor I use. It's almost as if the stubble hasn't grown enough out of the skin for it to be cut off properly, and the bit that is sticking out is just too tough for the razor to catch. The henson can just about do it but then the skin is really raw afterwards.

I've come up with a few possible options but really interested to know what you guys think or if there is something I've missed.
1. Buy a Henson Titanium aggressive razor. It should be fairly irritation free, it's a known quantity as I've tried the medium aluminium and it should be fairly safe to use and might just give me that extra bit of edge without chatter.
2. Buy a 1blade core. Never tried this before but the theory goes if the blade is thicker it might handle the beard better. It puts me off that I have to use just one type of more expensive blade though and not sure how gimmicky the 1blade is.
3. Buy a Timeless T95 Titanium, with the theory being that it might be better than the henson, I can choose open comb etc. Have no experience with this company though but told blade chatter is non-existent.
4. What might be the only option, shave every other day as maybe I'm just one of those people who can't shave every day :)

What do you guys think?
BTW I'm using Proraso pre-shave cream, a fit jar soap but have also tried various others including Mitchell's. I find a thinner soap lets me cut closer to the skin. I also use Bulldog moisturiser after the shave which works wonders for me.

thanks.

Having bought and tried many razors the last few months, having similar criteria, I have concluded that the Razorock BBS is a one of kind in term of smoothness, all while it effortlessly cuts the stubble in a way that very few razors do.

I reviewed it here, and mentioned the Henson medium in the process. (tldr; the BBS is much smoother than the Henson).

i don't think you say what blade you're using.

FWIW:

Try using the Henson (which is quite mild) with a Feather blade. Shave daily, only _with_ the grain.

The Feather blades are very sharp. Thick beard, thin beard -- they cut it down. The trick is to use very little pressure -- so little, that the edge of the blade glides on top of a thin layer of soap film, and never touches your skin.

. . . If you use too much pressure, you'll break the soap film and get cut, and/or you'll have badly-irritated skin.

Shaving against-the-grain -- especially if you only shave every two days -- is a recipe for trouble. The beard works to pull the edge of the blade closer to your skin. Even a little pressure, or bad skin-stretching, will give you a cut.

Of course, this is what works _for me_. What works for you may be entirely different.

. charles

HI guys, thought I'd check back in as I've made significant progress over the past few months. It turns out, slants are the way to go for me. I'm going to detail out a whole shaving routine in a couple of months as still experimenting which soap works better for me. However at the moment I have an ATT S1 and it is the only razor I can shave daily with and not have my face fall off. I'm looking forward to the Rex Konsul slant as well then I can really dial in to the effectiveness for my skin.
Good to hear, seems like you found your way. Let us know how the Konsul is when you get it.

If you ever get into straight razor shaving in the future I'm sure you'll find such a thing adequate as well. My beard is essentially a wire brush and can pull off daily straight razor shaving / Rolls Razor shaving without a problem. Very nice on the skin but cuts through like butter with a good edge and good technique. It's worth the trials and tribulations getting there.

There's not usually much need to go for BBS every day, especially if you have sensitive skin... Sometimes a quick WTG only for a SAS (socially acceptable shave) will be enough to look presentable for the day whilst allowing for a closer DFS to BBS by doing 3 or 4 passes including against the grain.

Plenty of time to experiment and find what works for you - if that's slightly different from "the rest of us" (as nonsensical as the idea that we're all doing the same is!!) that's absolutely fine!
Best.

Hahaha cutthroat razors are something I've looked at and yes, maybe one day but I will have my wife who is a doctor on stand by. I think honing the blade with no eyesight is just going to be too tricky and annoying TBH. Someone asked what blade I was using above, I've found feathers work but leave skin very sor. Astra SP seem to be the best, and the best value for me ATM. I promise guys once I've used the Konsul I'll do a full write up of my routine as I think it might help people in the future in my situation. I've found lather consistancy and pre-post is just as important as well. All things we hear on this forum but really no substitute for experimentation and experience, also just getting the technique down.

Hahaha cutthroat razors are something I've looked at and yes, maybe one day but I will have my wife who is a doctor on stand by. I think honing the blade with no eyesight is just going to be too tricky and annoying TBH. Someone asked what blade I was using above, I've found feathers work but leave skin very sor. Astra SP seem to be the best, and the best value for me ATM. I promise guys once I've used the Konsul I'll do a full write up of my routine as I think it might help people in the future in my situation. I've found lather consistancy and pre-post is just as important as well. All things we hear on this forum but really no substitute for experimentation and experience, also just getting the technique down.

Nooooo! , it is not good! For the last 1.5 months, I've been shaving every day and getting better and better. ATT S1 doing fine. Then, due to general Sunday laziness yesterday I thought you know what? I'll skip a day and get a ;lovely shave on Monday Morning. Well, I did get a lovely shave, but it took about 40 minutes to get that damn beard off with the ATT s1. For context, it used to take me about 15 min every 2 days with the same razor. Why so long now? my beard, my silly indistructable beard has somehow gotten tougher in the last month and a half, presumeably because I shave more often now. Luckily, the Razorock Wunderbar is coming tomorrow and if that doesn't get it off I really don't know what will. Clearly I need something more aggresssive and more efficient. I must have this Rex Konsul also to try.

Eventually the beard is going to resemble one of those wire wool pads you use to clean burns and marks off dishes. I can see it now, blind man dies at age 90, but his beard continues to resist all forms of natural breakdown. In fact we are now using it to hold up a suspension bridge :)

Top Bottom