What's new

Southern Witchcrafts Tres Matres

On to Southern Witchcrafts' Tres Matres (Latin, "three mothers"). Performance on par with other SW offerings used (Autumn Ash, Carmilla, Lycanthropy), which is to say, outstanding. A vegan soap that doesn't act vegan, and still amazed at the performance. Lather is as described before - easy to whip up, thick, soft and cushiony, with excellent post-shave face feel. AS is spot on, and I find it to be among the best for protection and soothing properties (dare I say comparable to GFT's Skin Food?).

Scent notes. Listed by SW as "Amber, Oakmoss, Damp Earth, Rosewood, Lavender, Almond, Calla lily, Cotton, Aldehydes, Grapefruit, Ginger, Ambergris, Ozone, Peach," you can tell already that this is a complex fragrance. SW describes it as "a floral accord on a petrichor base with citrus top notes," and I found that to be fairly accurate. It does lead with a terrasol/petrichor (earthy garden/wet soil scents), intermingled with citrus notes (some describe as grapefruit), and some floral component underneath (rose maybe?). Very pleasant Summer scent, but really a year-round fragrance, and not a problem for daily wear. I've so far found SW's fragrances to be mid-range in intensity, sort of the goldilocks "just right," and overall performance has been top-notch. I'm really liking their products, and looking forward to exploring the rest.

20200501_075807.jpg

Nice writeup!

Tres Madres is a decent Earthy scent that is complex and reminds me a bit of B&M Petrichoir. As you mentioned the performance of SW is top notch plus a good value as well.

Of the four SW soaps that I’ve tried have all been great in the performance department. Scent wise I consider to be on the stronger side. The unscented all I smell is the soap. The cedar reminds me of the cedar used in some #2 pencils (Virginia red cedar). But it seems like in the Pomona that the apple and honey take over the scent profile. And the mushroom and fungus scents take over the scent profile of Druantia

Thanks for the review, I am really interested in this scent. Question is, should I buy the soap or after shave first?

Short answer it "it depends." :001_smile If a fragrance interests me I usually try the soap first - if I like it I proceed to the aftershave, unless I already know I'll like it, and I usually pair corresponding products. Reasoning is that if I'm confident of performance (from prior brand use or reports I trust), I may use the soap anyway even if the fragrance is not my cup of tea (B&M's Sunny Lane comes to mind) - it rinses off. If I just get the aftershave and it's a bust, I'm stuck.

Short answer it "it depends." :001_smile If a fragrance interests me I usually try the soap first - if I like it I proceed to the aftershave, unless I already know I'll like it, and I usually pair corresponding products. Reasoning is that if I'm confident of performance (from prior brand use or reports I trust), I may use the soap anyway even if the fragrance is not my cup of tea (B&M's Sunny Lane comes to mind) - it rinses off. If I just get the aftershave and it's a bust, I'm stuck.
Oh wow, that's a good reasoning. I am looking at BM Le Grand Chypre (LGC) and Tres Matres (TM) currently. Do you have experience with LGC? I believe it is brighter than TM, but TM's damp earth scent intrigued me. I only have Proraso Green and BM Cologne Russe (CR).

Ad Astra

The Instigator
(I have to) remember to order their "spooky" scents early this year for Halloween; last year they were tough to find.

Yes; great soap base and very interesting compositions!

Should get out Lycanthropy, I use seasonals year-round.

AA

Oh wow, that's a good reasoning. I am looking at BM Le Grand Chypre (LGC) and Tres Matres (TM) currently. Do you have experience with LGC? I believe it is brighter than TM, but TM's damp earth scent intrigued me. I only have Proraso Green and BM Cologne Russe (CR).

I've used both of B&M's "Chypres," Le Grande and Le Petit (unfortunately no longer available). Both great soaps, different bases - Le Grande has the Excelsior base, and Le Petit had the Softheart base. Excellent performance with both - both a bright, citrus note, with Le Petit a little more "resinous" and woody, and somewhat lighter to me. B&M's fragrances are slightly stronger and longer-lasting than some, so Le Grande has more of a cologne presence, but very pleasant. If you're a proponent of "seasonal" fragrances, I'd class it solidly in the Spring/Summer range. Some of B&M's offerings are famously polarizing, but not this one to me. I could use it as an every day....

Last edited:
Well, the term "seasonal" fragrance bugs me off really. Because I can never understand that since I am living in Malaysia (all year summer/rainy). I care about the scent more than performance, I believe every well established artisan soap has overall good performance. I like both soap, but LGC has matching after shave balm which I prefer.

Well, the term "seasonal" fragrance bugs me off really. Because I can never understand that since I am living in Malaysia (all year summer/rainy). I care about the scent more than performance, I believe every well established artisan soap has overall good performance. I like both soap, but LGC has matching after shave balm which I prefer.

Sorry I haven’t used Tres Matres to compare the two but can speak to Le Grand Chypre. Le Grand Chypre is an incredible scent, one of my absolute favourites I’ve ever used. I have my scents split into a two season rotation, warm weather then cool weather, and Le Grand Chypre is so good, it is the only scent I use year round. Oh and it’s wife approved, one of her favourites.

The Excelsior is a good performer, you won’t be disappointed and the B&M balms are my favourite balms, no other balms make my face feel as good for hours and isn’t greasy or shiny on my face

Eben Stone

Staff member
If I just get the aftershave and it's a bust, I'm stuck.

If you're talking generally I totally agree with you. If you're specifically talking about Southern Witchcrafts aftershaves, I'm pretty sure they could be sold in the BST fairly easily. Who knows. Some people actually like that stuff.

Sorry I haven’t used Tres Matres to compare the two but can speak to Le Grand Chypre. Le Grand Chypre is an incredible scent, one of my absolute favourites I’ve ever used. I have my scents split into a two season rotation, warm weather then cool weather, and Le Grand Chypre is so good, it is the only scent I use year round. Oh and it’s wife approved, one of her favourites.

The Excelsior is a good performer, you won’t be disappointed and the B&M balms are my favourite balms, no other balms make my face feel as good for hours and isn’t greasy or shiny on my face
I agree LGC is one of the best soaps from BM, I was looking at 42 and found that LGC is the better one (Kinda the same theme for both)? Currently I am using BM Cologne Russe which is Excelsior based too, good performer. CR has very sharp scent on top but complex underneath, it is very pleasant once I got used to it. I did not do any research regarding CR before buying, but I like that scent. Later I found that many don't like that scent though.

Regarding the balm, I am using Stirling Soap Company's balm now. They are excellent, quick absorb and non greasy too. Like all their products, a better value.

Then anyone tried both BM Petrichor and SW Tres Matres? I heard some soap's petrichor scent is a bit artificial, but not the BM Petrichor. Not sure about Tres Matres.

Then anyone tried both BM Petrichor and SW Tres Matres? I heard some soap's petrichor scent is a bit artificial, but not the BM Petrichor. Not sure about Tres Matres.

I use both. B&M's Petrichor is a pure fragrance - although petrichor itself is a fairly complex scent (wet earth, rocks, fresh rain). It really is what I describe and recognize as petrichor, and nothing else. SW soaps are as described, with a half-dozen or more different notes each, most with a good bit of musk/earth/oakmoss thrown in. Tres Matres has a background "petrichor" note (earth, wet rocks), but is very much forward with their signature musk (amber), oakmoss, and floral for Tres Matres (maybe rose?) notes.

This thread reignited my interest in Southern Witchcrafts, so thanks for the enabling! :001_tt2:
After receiving Gothorum Tonstrina from the Razor Company, I was blown away by the performance. I would never guess that it wasn't a tallow base with how slick and creamy it was. That led me to order Samhain and Autumn Ash soap and matching splashes. I owned early versions of these several years ago, and while I loved the scents and spooky, Halloween vibe, I found the performance lacking. Now I'm finding myself in a full blown love affair with SW! Thankfully I also have a local shop that carries their stuff, so I can go sniff more of them. I'm thinking Druantia and Desairology will be my next victims.

I agree that LeGrand Chypre is one of the best scents ever. It is a complex cologne scent, but really nice.

I use both. B&M's Petrichor is a pure fragrance - although petrichor itself is a fairly complex scent (wet earth, rocks, fresh rain). It really is what I describe and recognize as petrichor, and nothing else. SW soaps are as described, with a half-dozen or more different notes each, most with a good bit of musk/earth/oakmoss thrown in. Tres Matres has a background "petrichor" note (earth, wet rocks), but is very much forward with their signature musk (amber), oakmoss, and floral for Tres Matres (maybe rose?) notes.
Which petrichor do you think represented more accurately? In other words, does the petrichor notes in Tres Matres feels artificial?

Top Bottom