there are men that almost despise them!
There is not enough SV soap for
everyone to have and enjoy...

Please,stick to your Lea ,Palmolive, Arko,Cella,Proraso or whatever
suits you ,kind gentlemen from Africa,
America ,Asia ,Oceania ,Europe and
Antarctica.

Leave the unworthy and overpriced
SV soaps for us ,the odd minority ,so we can always have a healthy stock of them and shave with .
It’s really a dirty and rather costly
job ,but nevertheless someone has to do it .

We will survive and keep shaving
with this oxidation-prone ,preservative
and EDTA free ,cushionless ,overpriced,wannabe-Gucci,shaving soap.
And please kind gentlemen,
do not feel sad for us ,
but pray for one day we shall
see the light,find salvation and
start using the awesome ,
mass produced ,industrial abominat...
oops!excuse me,shaving soaps .

Amen.
AMEN!!

It becomes a defense of your choice, not of the product talk is draining. @SCh5 comment is a mature one and a relief. Let it be. 4.3 is a great base.

FYI, Phil at Bullgoose has released SV Flying Mango, beta 4.3 I believe.

I know Steve has his on the way. Great scent on this one and the added mango butter imparts some additional creaminess. Wonderful soap.

035B1297-ABCA-44A5-B8D2-BE9159E44FBA.jpeg

This apparently polarizing thread has me intrigued.

Is there a place where one can buy soap samples from? I love ( and currently am using ) their after shave balm ( 70th ) so did a recent order from the SV site for this and the preshave but I also find the bath body gel samples really overwhelming scent wise. I do not see soap samples either on maggards or the SV site itself but from this thread they must exist somewhere?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
What a curious thing this thread has morphed into. Don't we all have our personal opinions on every soap?

I have one tin of SV and it's very nice soap. Most of us have to evaluate our quality/luxury for the $$$ situation. Everyone puts the line at their own comfort point - as well they should. Some people are just as happy with $50 shoes as $500 shoes, and I for one think it would be crazy for those people to spend more for quality they don't enjoy.

Many of us make choices based on a limited amount of money to spend - I do: based on my wallet, or more often based on my personal comfort level. I can afford a $3,000 suit, but my comfort level for suit spending bottoms out at way less than half that.

So we make our choices. My choice does not really reflect in any way on your choice, positively or negatively. I purchased a $10,000 guitar. That doesn't mean I think your $1,000 guitar was a bad choice, or that if you purchase a $25,000 guitar you're an idiot who only paid for the name on the guitar. It just means that for me and my needs this is the one that works for me.

I like to hear everyone's opinion on the soaps - smell, feel, efficiency, price - all of it. I personally have no interest on your opinion as to what you might think the seller is thinking or what you might think the buyer is thinking - we're lucky we know what we might be thinking. We have no idea what's in another brain.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
People are strange. Soap is not an expensive product, it just isn’t. The most expensive soaps are only expensive compared to other soaps. If the magic soap fairy appeared and cut the prices of all shaving soap by 90%, the same people still wouldn’t buy the top end because …. it’s too expensive (compared to other soaps).

Last edited:
But Proraso is 3,5 euros and SV is 35! You can get 10 times the amount of Proraso with that price! 1,5KG of Proraso goodness! But not even one tenth of the quality or performance... Oops. :001_tt2:

Steve56

It becomes a defense of your choice, not of the product talk is draining. @SCh5 comment is a mature one and a relief. Let it be. 4.3 is a great base.

I know Steve has his on the way. Great scent on this one and the added mango butter imparts some additional creaminess. Wonderful soap.

View attachment 1291504

What’s the soap ‘bowl’ @vtmax ? Just curious, looks like a good fit.

What’s the soap ‘bowl’ @vtmax ? Just curious, looks like a good fit.

Colt-Ainer 4 inch width, slim 1.5 inch height are perfect dimensions. Colt’s Plastics from Dayville CT.

I like the slim height and perfect airtight threading. I order direct but Maggard sells the Colt’s with the black lid.

Steve56

Colt-Ainer 4 inch width, slim 1.5 inch height are perfect dimensions. Colt’s Plastics from Dayville CT.

I like the slim height and perfect airtight threading. I order direct but Maggard sells the Colt’s with the black lid.

TY,

I have Maggards, the white lid threw me, lol. Might have to order a few.

The Dolomiti was the first more expensive soap I bought after the l8ues of MWF, proraso, and similar. I found the difference very much better . The performance of the cheaper soaps were mediocre compared to SV. My skin never looked back!

Three months and still the title is completely botched...? 🤣
It's hilarious, isn't it. Folks misspell the name of the product... I can live with that.

However, if you scroll a couple of pages back, you'll find some true "pearls of wisdom" - people who never tried the said product are telling those who do use it on a regular basis, why they shouldn't, why it's overpriced and in essence why we're all ignorant snobs 😂 😂 😂

However, if you scroll a couple of pages back, you'll find some true "pearls of wisdom" - people who never tried the said product are telling those who do use it on a regular basis, why they shouldn't, why it's overpriced and in essence why we're all ignorant snobs 😂

That’s the tough part of these forums when people show up and pontificate inaccuracies and want the stage just to be heard. It’s draining.

Still ...
I’m seriously considering from
now on to buy shaving soaps only
from sellers who ,participating to
the few shaving forums,have avatars
of :
1 ) Mahatma Gandhi
2 ) Jim Morrison
3 ) An elephant with Asperger Syndrome
4 ) Peter Pan
5 ) A pentagram

I’ve already been advised that I should not buy shaving soaps from sellers with a commando avatar .

Makes sense ...

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
But Proraso is 3,5 euros and SV is 35! You can get 10 times the amount of Proraso with that price! 1,5KG of Proraso goodness! But not even one tenth of the quality or performance... Oops. :001_tt2:

You bring up a good point: where you live makes a difference in price. I pay $10 for Proraso and I paid $44 for SV.

But I'm afraid you're not going to get very many experienced shavers to agree that your choice is the higher quality choice. Maybe a couple of shavers who think their Kia Forte is ten times better than a Rolls. :sob:

Top Bottom