What's new

Could you help me choose a Simpsons synthetic, please?

skippable intro paragraph: the handle of my long-time brush broke after a certain member of my household dropped it. First I thought I'd buy the same again, but the company doesn't sell badger anymore, and while I might be able to find one in stock somewhere, I'm not against synthetic, especially as my prejudices concerning how they perform seem out of date. So I came across Simpsons, and their considerable range could be better documented on their site.

I've been using a Kent BK4, and like the size and the feel in my hand. I also have a Kent BLK4 - same dimensions, I think, but silver tip, which I find too soft somehow. But maybe I should work on my technique. I face-lather, though I'm not ideological about that. I don't mind the certain scrub (scritch?) of the BK4, while the softer BLK4 gives me the feeling that the bristles just gently caress the surface of the cream (Trumper's) instead of lathering it. With brushes that are big and soft, I fear the tips would stay in place while the middle part swings around.

The brushes on the Simpsons website all seem to be the same, except for big differences in price. Well, I'm exaggerating - I do see differences in sizes and handle shapes, but still. My current brush is small to medium in Kent's description but all at Simpsons are smaller, if I get that right.

Can you help me?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I've had three Simpson's synth's, as well as a number of others in various non-natural fibres. The Simpson's (with the sole exception of Paladin's limited offering) are better brushes than the field in my experience.

At present there's an Chubby 2 Synthetic Badger brush (no longer available, today's are labelled as Synthetic Bristle) and a Trafalgar 3 in there. Both work well, I think the Chubby does better being denser and more scrubby. The Trafalgar has a bit higher handle & loft than my Chubby example ..

If I could keep only one of them it would be the Chubby

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I have a Commodore x2 in the cheaper, newer fibre, and two Chubby 2's and two M7's and one Duke 3 in the older, softer, more expensive fibre. I've never tried the Trafalgars, but the Commodore has the same fibre, and I don't think it is any better than what Razorock, yaqi, or a half dozen others sell for half the cost of the Simpson. But the fibre in the others is oh so special...

sotd 6 3.jpeg
synths.JPG

I have a Kent BK4 Silvertip and probably the closest match in any synthetic knot that I've used is the Yaqi Purple Haze Mew Brown. The Yaqi has more backbone, but similar face feel in terms of size and softness. While I have not used them, Kent has a whole new line of synthetics, so one of those might be a good option to consider.

Out of the Simpson synthetic brushes, none of them will come close to replicating the Kent, but they are my favorite synthetic brushes. I've used all the Trafalgar brushes and also the Duke and Chubby synthetics. All of them except for the Trafalgar T3 have a smaller footprint on your face than the Kent BK4 and they all have a lot more backbone than the Kent.

The fiber used in the Trafalgar brushes is not that unique compared to a lot of other synthetics, but Simpson sets them with a pretty low loft, which is what makes them unique, and to me, more desirable than most other synthetic brushes.

The Duke and Chubby synthetics have a unique fiber with extremely soft tips. The Duke is a pretty small brush with lots of backbone. The Chubby is very dense and takes a bit more effort to create a lather, but is a nice size on the face (not too big and not too small) and feels very luxurious. The Chubby has less backbone than the Duke, but still has plenty.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Thanks to everybody, all really helpful!

Any big difference between Chubby and Duke?
Size, essentially. In badger hair the difference between a Duke and a Chubby is pretty clear; in synthetics not so much. The Chubby is more dense, but not the same kind of "O My God" density of a Chubby 2 in Best or Super Badger; and it is, as I said, an overall larger brush than the Duke; but both are very nice brushes. Both the Chubby 2 and the Duke 3 synths feel one size smaller than their natural hair counterparts. Personally if I could only have one between those two I'd pick the Duke. However, my overall top Simpson synthetic is the M7, and it isn't close. Unfortunately, they're only available from time to time as limited editions, though if you emailed Mr Watterson or Ms Anna Dillon at Simpson/Progress Vulfix they'd probably be happy to sort one for you. In that case your choice of resins for the handle would be larger, too.

However, my overall top Simpson synthetic is the M7, and it isn't close. Unfortunately, they're only available from time to time as limited editions, though if you emailed Mr Watterson or Ms Anna Dillon at Simpson/Progress Vulfix they'd probably be happy to sort one for you. In that case your choice of resins for the handle would be larger, too.

The shape is beautiful! What would I have to pay, roughly, before I waste their time?

I thought all synthetic fibres were pretty much the same, just different colours and loft settings. Until I got a Kent. That is the only brush that gives me a rash.

A guess- probably a little under $100 USD.

Every time I think I made up my mind, I make the mistake to read some more threads to find something about this or that one little side point, and find myself right at the beginning again in no time...

Would you say that as a face latherer, I should rather go for badger, comparing the same model, for example a Duke 3 in Best versus Duke 3 Synthetic? (Ignoring differences in ethical concerns, quicker drying and the like.)

Top Bottom