What's new

Could you help me choose a Simpsons synthetic, please?

Every time I think I made up my mind, I make the mistake to read some more threads to find something about this or that one little side point, and find myself right at the beginning again in no time...

Would you say that as a face latherer, I should rather go for badger, comparing the same model, for example a Duke 3 in Best versus Duke 3 Synthetic? (Ignoring differences in ethical concerns, quicker drying and the like.)
Regrettably my friend, there’s no way to know without trying both. I much prefer researching products before buying, but that’ll only get you so far in this. Best thing to do: pick one, use it regularly for a few weeks, and then adjust from there. Even then, you may, as I have, find one’s preferences change over time.

I prefer badger with an occasional boar. I have only owned one synthetic and thought I was getting a good one. The synthetic was a Simpson Classic 1 with their (at least then) premium fiber.

Based on my experience you can get many brushes for substantially less money. For me I can’t imagine a brush that would be worse.

Other Simpson brushes I own are Chubby 1 super, Duke 3 best, Classic 2, Major in super and Wee Scot. I don’t have an issue with Simpson brushes, just the Classic 1 synthetic.

Compared to the Muhle STF and new Omega EVO, these are also rans in my opinion. Not bad at all but no great shake.
Actually all three may show up on BST in the very near future…..

I have an Omega EVO from a year ago. Did Omega release a new fiber for the EVO line?

I see a lot of love for their higher end synths. That definitely seems the way to go.

While the T3 has plenty of fans too, I personally think the Trafalgar line skimps a bit too much. I have a T2 (24mm) and it's really equivalent to a 20-22 mm in terms of performance. Larger glue bump and short loft make it hard to build 3 passes of lather on the face (of course it would work for a bowl).

While this is purely aesthetic, even the Simpson logo began to break off after 2 uses. Again, I'm thinking they didn't put a lot of thought into their lower end line (put one side by side with an AP or Yaqi, dollar for dollar). You'll definitely be happier with their higher end line. The chubby, based on the posted Amazon price, seems like a steal.

Good luck and happy shaves!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Trying to find out the difference between Duke 3 in Best Badger and Duke 3 in synthetic, for example regarding face lathering. If synthetic, then between Duke 3 and M7.
In other words, not an inch further in practical terms. :)
Well, can’t say you’re not doing your research. Just to pile on, I have a Trafalgar T3. There’s lots I like about it. Is there a different synth out there that could have hit the sweet spot for me? Probably. I own it now, so I’m going to use it and enjoy it. I like boars and badgers too. They all kind of do different things well. There’s something you will like about the brushes you’re considering most likely. Guaranteed.

I prefer badger with an occasional boar. I have only owned one synthetic and thought I was getting a good one. The synthetic was a Simpson Classic 1 with their (at least then) premium fiber.

Based on my experience you can get many brushes for substantially less money. For me I can’t imagine a brush that would be worse.

Other Simpson brushes I own are Chubby 1 super, Duke 3 best, Classic 2, Major in super and Wee Scot. I don’t have an issue with Simpson brushes, just the Classic 1 synthetic.
The Classic synth is by far the worst Simpson brush I own. It is a disgrace to the name IMO and I say that as a huge Simpson fan. I would rather use my $15 Yaqi.

The M7 and Chubby 2 are excellent Simpson synthetic brushes though. Well worth a try.

I see a lot of love for their higher end synths. That definitely seems the way to go.

While the T3 has plenty of fans too, I personally think the Trafalgar line skimps a bit too much. I have a T2 (24mm) and it's really equivalent to a 20-22 mm in terms of performance. Larger glue bump and short loft make it hard to build 3 passes of lather on the face (of course it would work for a bowl).

While this is purely aesthetic, even the Simpson logo began to break off after 2 uses. Again, I'm thinking they didn't put a lot of thought into their lower end line (put one side by side with an AP or Yaqi, dollar for dollar). You'll definitely be happier with their higher end line. The chubby, based on the posted Amazon price, seems like a steal.

Good luck and happy shaves!

I agree with your assessment of the Trafalger T2. Typically, I like brushes in the 24-26mm range, so I thought the T2 would be fine. I loved the feel of the brush. I have very sensitive skin and typically bowl lather. However, I can face lather with the Trafalger brush with the Sovereign synthetic fiber. Lke you, I found the T2 performed like a smaller brush. Thus, I purchased the T3 and am quite happy with it.

I now use my T2 to clean the dust off my collection of vinyl records.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I agree with your assessment of the Trafalger T2. Typically, I like brushes in the 24-26mm range, so I thought the T2 would be fine. I loved the feel of the brush. I have very sensitive skin and typically bowl lather. However, I can face lather with the Trafalger brush with the Sovereign synthetic fiber. Lke you, I found the T2 performed like a smaller brush. Thus, I purchased the T3 and am quite happy with it.

I now use my T2 to clean the dust off my collection of vinyl records.
That’s what I’m talking about. There is something to like about a brush. In this case it’s a good dust remover. Not quite where I was going but…

I don't want to take away from Patricks search but can someone correct me if I'm wrong but based on the photos in this thread and Omega mentioned as well aren't the fibers in these brushes considered older generation. I suppose based on the replies the performance is fine which is all the matters and they do offer the density but to me over $100 in some cases depending on where you live seems pretty steep for synthetic brush

All the best with your search.

I don't want to take away from Patricks search but can someone correct me if I'm wrong but based on the photos in this thread and Omega mentioned as well aren't the fibers in these brushes considered older generation. I suppose based on the replies the performance is fine which is all the matters and they do offer the density but to me over $100 in some cases depending on where you live seems pretty steep for synthetic brush

All the best with your search.
I'm pretty certain that omega uses a cheaper/older synth for the s-brush and hi-brush. However, it's my understanding the Evo is a newer design and very much a high quality synth. Haven't tried one myself, but they get rave reviews and don't seem to stay in stock long.

okay thanks Mr. D. thanks. If you want something a little more dense they do look like winners. The thing is though while I haven't window shopped in a while I don't recall seeing these on the Asian makers in the last while and I was under the impression they bought all these synthetic fibers from DOW.

I feel your pain, as I dropped my T3 just a few days ago 😢 😥 😪

1623520318099.png

As for fiber used, Simpson uses 2 grades:

Sovereign used in cheaper brushes and Platinum used in their more expensive ones.

The crack on my Trafalgar T3 does not interfere with the performance of the brush, but it annoys me (to say the least).

So, my next one will be CH2, just for fun of trying the more premium grade fiber.

While at it, I might get another T3 as it is absolutely fantastic, I love it.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
okay thanks Mr. D. thanks. If you want something a little more dense they do look like winners. The thing is though while I haven't window shopped in a while I don't recall seeing these on the Asian makers in the last while and I was under the impression they bought all these synthetic fibers from DOW.
Evo is fantastic and yes a new version. Nothing like the old dogs. Great handle options. Knot is Similar to T3. My two favorite synthetics. T3 wind on price.

AP Shave Co has what I think may be a new knot from Germany a black one called the G5B. The handles can be a bit of miss for me but I have one in the plain white which is fine for me. I like to support a local site but I don't really care for these handle drops he does that sell out in short time. I look forward to trying the T3 and or an Omega.

Top Bottom