What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Another arrival today - hopefully last 2 vintage razors for a while.

Top: George Wostenholm & Son 6/8 full hollow
Bottom: Lecollier a Nogent 13/16 near wedge tailless.
The French razor definitely displays an alternate design. To make up for the lack of a tail it has a thumb notch and jimps top and bottom. I question whether the scales are original, the blade bottoms out by hitting the wedge. Like my even bigger Renault, the pivot to toe distance is about 5.1” well beyond the 4.6” pivot hole to wedge hole spacing seen on most scales, and too much even for this particular set of scales.

Neither shows much (any?) sign of hone wear.

781781C6-58CA-4CA7-A129-65E983441114.jpeg

This is not my usual acquisition, but an Antique Dealer who has my phone number called me to meetup to see if I wanted to check out his offerings before he took them to the next antique show. I purchased the following all original W&B for $20.
My question is, should I send it to someone highly skilled to have it restored or just leave it in its original condition? It is all original from the nineteenth century so it will be a nice collectible. Besides, it has a nick in the blade which will require some metal removal to get it in to shaving condition.

WB2.jpg
WB3.jpg
WB1.jpg
WB4.jpg

American Knife Co., Plymouth Hollow, Connecticut- Circa 1849-1875
  • This arrived yesterday. The seller said "shave ready" and I had reservations. I gave it a paste strop treatment and it surpassed my expectations!
  • I literally thought these were wood scales at first, but they are synthetic. When it arrived, it was not cleaned up very well and the scales looked like they were wood and very dry. After cleaning with mineral oil, they still looked like wood. It wasn't until I shaved with it that I realized they were not wood - LOL!
    • I also did some clean-up of the blade with Flitz
  • I assume these have to be replacement scales. They do look like they are very old though
  • Grind is 1/4????
  • The spine does have honing wear. There is also "polishing" marks on both sides of the heel
Any information anyone has on these razors or from looking at the pictures, please let me know

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

This is not my usual acquisition, but an Antique Dealer who has my phone number called me to meetup to see if I wanted to check out his offerings before he took them to the next antique show. I purchased the following all original W&B for $20.
My question is, should I send it to someone highly skilled to have it restored or just leave it in its original condition? It is all original from the nineteenth century so it will be a nice collectible. Besides, it has a nick in the blade which will require some metal removal to get it in to shaving condition.

View attachment 1263906View attachment 1263907View attachment 1263908View attachment 1263909
I vote to have it restored and then shave with it. That is true recycling!

@2bit_collie
it is super. mine is from the 14-2.0 series. mine will arrive on Monday, but I'm a little closer from Austria to the Czech Republic. Ulrik's razors are beautiful, I'm just curious about honing. the first one I had from Ulrik was not very well honed, I had to hone it again by myself.

Top Bottom