What's new

Try to find a fit razor for me

Fatip might be a bit aggressive for you
Try a Rockwell 6s or 6c

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 8 mit Tapatalk
Why?? The Rockwell has the same essential geometry as the 89 or its clones. Angle is a bit different that's all.

proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I try to do this but sometime I tend to use pressure because alot of the beard remain on the face after the pass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if that is the case, yoy may not have the razor angle correct. With the R89 you can keep the handle pretty far from your face. Ride the cap! Never apply pressure, not even with a mild razor, and only shave where there is soap.

With respect, OP posted pics of his neck showing growth in multiple directions specifically where there is irritation, thus formulaic responses about shaving with the grain aren't much help. Swirly necks are special cases . Spend the $30 on the Fatip/Schone or $15-20 on a Gem Clog-Pruf or MMOC. You may be in the minority of shavers who need a more rigid blade with decent exposure to address the area of difficulty. User @Esox has about 100 posts on this particular topic.

I still use my DE razors occasionally, but I mostly use SE razors. Right now my 4 Ever Ready and GEM razors are my favorites. Next favorites are my vintage Schick injectors. The thicker and more stable SE and injector blades make a big difference in closeness and lack of irritation. As always, YMMV.

I still use my DE razors occasionally, but I mostly use SE razors. Right now my 4 Ever Ready and GEM razors are my favorites. Next favorites are my vintage Schick injectors. The thicker and more stable SE and injector blades make a big difference in closeness and lack of irritation. As always, YMMV.
If all my beard and head were as demanding as a couple of spots on my head I might stick with SE. Leaf with three DE blades and Shake Sharp with two will also do the trick as well.

Last edited:
One solution may be straight razor but what do I know?
Also consider:
Pre-shave prep
More time lathering on the face
Warmer lather
Soap choice not optimal?
Blade choice?

To be honest I am pretty afraid of straight,I am afraid of open comb let alone straight ones. I think the problems it's my tehnic or maybe the lack off and the rush,I watched maybe to many videos on YouTube and unintentionally I made the same like them.

if that is the case, yoy may not have the razor angle correct. With the R89 you can keep the handle pretty far from your face. Ride the cap! Never apply pressure, not even with a mild razor, and only shave where there is soap.

That's also a possibility,I will try better next time

With respect, OP posted pics of his neck showing growth in multiple directions specifically where there is irritation, thus formulaic responses about shaving with the grain aren't much help. Swirly necks are special cases . Spend the $30 on the Fatip/Schone or $15-20 on a Gem Clog-Pruf or MMOC. You may be in the minority of shavers who need a more rigid blade with decent exposure to address the area of difficulty. User @Esox has about 100 posts on this particular topic.

I think that I will try the fatip and be very careful with it,also can you say to me some examples of more rigid de razors?

Before spending too much money and getting frustrated, I would guess it is a skin problem, not a razor problem.

Things that help my neck area:
  • Hot water is quite irritating to the skin.
  • Washing face with Noxzema cream in shower (Wal Mart brand is quite cheap); some use it as preshave but I have not done that but it might be worth trying
  • Rub glycerine soap (like Pears) as a preshave
  • Resist urge to keep scraping at the stubble on the neck
  • Plain aloe vera as post shave balm
I hope you can find a way to cool down that irritation.

I think that I will try the fatip and be very careful with it,also can you say to me some examples of more rigid de razors?

A lot of Fatip fear is based on the Mk1 which was considerably more aggressive. Other designs based on the Gillette Old Type (eg Razorock OT, Mamba ) would be similarly rigid but tend to be quite mild. Gillette short comb is a good rigid design and not too mild, ditto the Timeless Bronze/Aluminum variants. The new SS Lupo and Colonial Silversmith also.

Or a $16.95 Clog-Pruf :)

Everybody has weird hair patterns on their face. You just need to figure out how to properly shave your face. It takes time.

Most of the time the razor doesn't matter once you dial in the technique.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk
Patience is the key

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

There are areas on my face where I would literally have to use 6 (SIX! 😳) passes to clear all of the stubble to BBS. So I stopped chasing BBS. ;)

First of all, get a good feel for the direction(s) your beard grows. It won't be perfect. Think in terms of the direction that is LEAST against the grain. You want to use With The Grain (WTG) strokes. Use short strokes so you can change directions where your beard changes directions.

As part of your daily shave:
  • Gently wash your face with CeraVe Hydrating Bar for dry skin.
  • Load up a sharp blade like a Feather, Personna Med Prep, Wizamet Super Iridium. Toss the blade after 3 shaves.
  • Identify the angle that works best for you: Shallow (ride the cap, handle is more perpendicular to your face) or Steep (ride the bar/comb, handle is more parallel to your face). I prefer steep, but shallow may be easier for you to get yourself squared away.
  • Avoid using pressure to try and get closer.
  • Use the data you gathered on your beard and use only WTG short strokes.
  • Change direction where your beard changes direction. Keep things WTG.
  • Do NOT try any ATG or XTG passes - yet.
  • ONE PASS ONLY to start. Do this for a week. Then add a second WTG pass.
  • Be patient - take your time.
  • Use a nice, soothing aftershave balm. :)
See how things turn out. You may not need another razor. If you do decide to get one, you should know more about the type of razor that will work best for you.

Just my opinion and YMMV. :cool:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

This is my beard after 4 days(I decided to not shave until my irritation heals) what you think about it? Is the hair thick? I think you can see the irritation in the pictures
Also see my weird grouth pattern especially on lower neck? This gives me the problems

You have a clear Beard map that can be used to help in directions to shave. One way to get around issues that have been mentioned all ready is your Pre-shave prep to soften up whiskers. It looks like your beard whiskers lay flat almost and that can be challenging to get at to snip with a blade. Thick lather might help suspend the whiskers upward when growth is 3 to 4 days to help with razor to do its job. IF DE razors & blades are not helping I would consider using a AC SE razor but that will cost a little more than a DE razor possibly.
There is one blade that I find interesting that gives more protection and might help if you have tried other blades that have a naked edge. The blade I'm talking about is the Kai AC Protouch or Feather AC Proguard with a Razorock hawk V2 or V3(stainless)razor, I would not really aim for a BBS shave either but more CCS,DFS,BBS range if you are getting irritation. The guarded blades are more expensive but they are the best blades they make IMO. The Guarded blades use their regular high end blades but enclose them with a very thin Stainless steel guard that smooths out your shave and helps prevent blade from digging in to the skin.
I use these blades in my folding Kai style folding shavette and really noticed a difference with less cuts and irritation compared to a naked edge blade.( I have received very close shaves with this blade.) Other seasoned shavers use these blades also and don't be fooled by the guard it really improves the shaving experience and barbers all across the world use this blade also to prevent cuts to their good customers.
YY Kai Protouch guarded AC blade.jpg
YY Kai Protouch guarded blade AC blade 3.jpg
YY Kai Protouch guarded blade AC blade 2.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
You have a clear Beard map that can be used to help in directions to shave. One way to get around issues that have been mentioned all ready is your Pre-shave prep to soften up whiskers. It looks like your beard whiskers lay flat almost and that can be challenging to get at to snip with a blade. Thick lather might help suspend the whiskers upward when growth is 3 to 4 days to help with razor to do its job. IF DE razors & blades are not helping I would consider using a AC SE razor but that will cost a little more than a DE razor possibly.
There is one blade that I find interesting that gives more protection and might help if you have tried other blades that have a naked edge. The blade I'm talking about is the Kai AC Protouch or Feather AC Proguard with a Razorock hawk V2 or V3(stainless)razor, I would not really aim for a BBS shave either but more CCS,DFS,BBS range if you are getting irritation. The guarded blades are more expensive but they are the best blades they make IMO. The Guarded blades use their regular high end blades but enclose them with a very thin Stainless steel guard that smooths out your shave and helps prevent blade from digging in to the skin.
I use these blades in my folding Kai style folding shavette and really noticed a difference with less cuts and irritation compared to a naked edge blade.( I have received very close shaves with this blade.) Other seasoned shavers use these blades also and don't be fooled by the guard it really improves the shaving experience and barbers all across the world use this blade also to prevent cuts to their good customers.
View attachment 1263403 View attachment 1263404 View attachment 1263405
Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

@netty1994 - Huge +1 for the Kai Protouch MG - should you eventually decide to get an AC Single Edge razor.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hi guys I am pretty new in the wet shaving and I really enjoy it so far,the only problem is that on my neck no matter what I do I get irritated. I use an muhle r89 with persona blade,Astra blue, Gillette 7oclock green,Bic,Gillette blue and with all I feel that they tug my beard,doesn't cut through it but feels like it's pulling my beard. Especially on the chin areas,do you guys think I need more agressive razor or open comb one? I was thinking of fatip open comb because it's cheaper and I don't have to many money to buy more expensive ones.all.of this are like after 3 days worth of beard growth not more

I'm not saying what you should do, and it's true that much is about technique.

My collection includes the array of Fatip razors - the Gentile, the Schöne, a couple of Mk1 razors (unobtanium), a Grande, a Piccolo, a Joris-Plisson, and a couple of Fatip Open Comb Slants. None of these razor are "aggressive" as in prone to drawing blood. All are efficient.

There is absolutely nothing to be afraid of with Open Comb razors. They are not more prone to biting or drawing blood. Nor is the shaving technique different. The exact same thing can be said about slants; use them just like any other DE razor.

I've shaved with tons of razors - double edge, single edge, injectors, AC, straight razors - as have many many members here. Some are better than others. Most are good if your technique and prep are good, but some are better than others. That said, some which are great for one guy won't be as great for the next gentleman.

You asked about Fatip razors...

FOCS(2).Gold.Chrome.640.JPG

I like Fatips.

In my opinion one of the absolutely best razors is the Fatip Open Comb Slant.
  1. It is exceeding easy to shave with and find the proper angle (which is steep for most users I believe, and certainly for me).
  2. It is very very smooth on your skin.
  3. It's nimble and easy to get around with.
  4. It's all metal (brass) and a quality razor.
  5. It's not at all likely to bite you (of course, any razor can bite if you do things wrong).
  6. It's likely to give most users a good shave albeit not necessarily a BBS shave (few if any razors will do that, and you shouldn't be chasing baby anyway).
  7. It is not expensive, and it's good looking although not jewelry.
Blades are very individual which means - at least it did for me - that when I found the perfect, right blade I knew immediately that there was zero reason to use anything else.

PolSilver.SI.Cropped..jpg
My favorite blade is sold under two brand names. They are 100% the same blade.

⬅ One is unobtanium (or very expensive).

The other, Wizamet SI, can be found .➡
WizametSI.Puck.480JPG.JPG

I had pretty horrible neck irritation, too. Some things which helped were these:
  • Learning to do less, and not over doing anything.
  • Not much pressure.
  • Not too many passes.
  • Not chasing baby.
  • Using cold water for a while. No hot water at all.
  • Hyaluronic acid.
  • A good moisturizer (Brickell Men's Face Moisturizer).
Other guys have made some very good points.

Also, I don't know anything about the razor you're using and am not badmouthing it.

Good luck. Be persistent; it's worth it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

When I first started out I bought a EJ DE89....same head as your Muhle. I always got irritation with that razor. Some of it was my lack of skill, but even over time it never seemed to get much better. As time went on I decided to get another razor....the Merkur 34HD. First shave with this razor was silky smooth and no irritation. You may just not get along with the Muhle 89. Try the Fatip and see how it goes...may work better for you. Practice and experience will eventually rid all your woes.

I've been at it a long time now and don't get much irritation, if at all any more (only if I get rushed and use too much pressure). I ran into razor irritation again recently with the Karve brass razor. No matter the blade or plate, that razor leaves my face soar...not red or anything, just sore....weird. I think some razors just don't work for everyone.

I do think you tried a few blades with your muhle r89 now get something else razor wise and try I might say the Henson (mild) cause you can return if not happy and see what it does or another super mild you can return if not happy you might loose a couple bucks in shipping well worth it

I say this as even a so called mild razor of the same model some find them horrid and some find them comfy some find them to mellow ? I am new I am so so so so glad I ordered various razors to try as it has really opened my eyes to what comfy is all about :)
or a rockwell change the plates etc... ?
and I know the blades matter but the razor also does and again you seem to have run a few blades through yours Maybe time to try another razor ?

Guys thx everyone for the advice,I will try to let it heal and after shave very carefully with no pressure and I will strat to have more care of my skin because it's very dry and it's prone to rash,not only on neck but sometimes on face also or forehead. And if it doesn't work maybe I change the blade or buy an fatip or a 2c

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
This is my beard after 4 days(I decided to not shave until my irritation heals) what you think about it? Is the hair thick? I think you can see the irritation in the pictures
Also see my weird grouth pattern especially on lower neck? This gives me the problems

Wow, virtually the exact same growth as myself. Coarse with many direction changes. I also have swirl growth patterns on either side of my Adam's apple. My map below.

beard-grain-map-1.jpg

I suffered much the same issues as you, that was my reason for joining this forum. Before I was a member here I had started with DE's again after years of carts and electrics and developed the very same problems you mention. I was a lurker here for a month or so before I joined because one member, @rabidus was talking about rigid designs. To fully understand that, I needed to see pictures so I joined.

Some still dont believe that rigidity may help many that suffer the same problems but it can. It came as an epiphany to me and I posted this thread.

Gillette NEW LC Not Cutting It - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/gillette-new-lc-not-cutting-it.520246/

Since then I havent looked back. I know I need a rigid design to have a great and easy shave. I also know it makes a huge difference in ease of use, comfort, smoothness and efficiency. I can have a 12-18 hour BBS finish in three minutes with either my Grande, Bullet Tip or MMOC but to have the same 12 hour BBS finish with my R41 it takes me 15-20 minutes and I can only use a fresh Feather blade. The added sharpness of a Feather blade on its first shave counteracts the lack of rigidity in the razors design. You're using an R89 that is the same design as the R41 but with less blade exposure. A sharper blade should help lessen the tugging.

Your being new to DE shaving the Fatip might be a bit too much but if you have the basics down, it might be perfect. I didnt find mine difficult to use and started shaving directly ATG first pass with it and a Feather blade on my 7th shave with it.

Shave #7

Go big or go home, as the saying goes...

50 hours since last shave

IMG_2082.jpg

Knowing what I do of Feather blades, I wanted to make sure I had the most slickness available and this Captain's Choice North has never failed in that area, or any other for that matter.

As I said earlier, I have hopes of achieving a "One Pass Wonder Shave" and I thought this blade might be up to it.

My Fatip Grande with a fresh Feather blade in it is as good as DE shaving gets for me. A GEM Bullet Tip with a PTFE blade is nearly it's equal. A GEM MMOC with a PTFE blade is twice as efficient and smoother.

When it comes to SE's, a DE is like sending a boy to do a man's job.

I didnt record my last shave here, but it was Monday evening or night. I dont remember.

MMOC/PTFE for its 4th shave.

WK.

Maggard Synthetic.

~100 hours since last shave. I dont think it would matter if it was around 200 hours.

Single buffing pass ATG. One clean up. The MMOC is all business and this was business as usual.

Nice comfy BBS. What more could be asked for.

I could do that same shave at 100 hours with my Grande and either a Gillette Yellow blade or a Polsilver and have at ~80 hours, but its not nearly as easy, comfortable, smooth or quick.

Do some searching around the forum on the word "Rigid". As @jeffmudrick said, theres much to read on the subject. This thread has seen new life the last few days.

The Great Rigid Blade Experiment - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/the-great-rigid-blade-experiment.530031/

Dont be afraid to post to older threads, they're still there for a reason.

If you want to pick up new razor inexpensively, keep posting. I think you need 45 posts to access the B/S/T. Look for a user grade post war Gillette Tech, a Gillette Slim, a GEM Bullet Tip and/or an MMOC or Clog Pruf.

If you want a new modern DE, in my mind there are two choices. A Fatip Grande and for something milder, the RR Tech II or another Gillette Tech type clone, there are a few.

The Tech Clone Wars - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/the-tech-clone-wars.574729/

It might take some time and effort to find the best blades for you in the DE's but its easy for the GEM's. The top blade for me, by far, is the PTFE.

Last edited:
Top Bottom