What's new

Timeless .68 Scalloped vs .5 Slim Edition

Hi all. New to the forum and relatively new to wet shaving and DE razors. I just received my Timeless .68, scalloped plate, and knurled handle. I'm really liking it. I think it's surprisingly efficient given it's degree of smoothness. I tend to go all in when I find something I really enjoy therefore I also recently acquired a Carbon CX-316L, standard plate (.68 blade gap) and I'm really liking it as well. It has become quickly apparent this new interest will challenge my current level of income. Lol. I'm very surprised at how differently these two razors shave given they both share the same blade gap. My curiosity about the Timeless slim edition is starting to peak. I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with both the Timeless slim edition and the Carbon CX. Do they perform and feel similar?

This thread has been viewed 130 times with no replies. I think it's because those of you who have experience with both the Carbon CX-316L and the Timeless slim edition understand that it was a dumb question. Lol. I spoke to Matt at Timeless and he switched my .68 for the .5 slim. Both of these razors are excellent but they shave nothing alike IMHO. I shaved with the .5 slim for the first time this morning. I found it to be extremely smooth and efficient. I liked it so much that I ordered the OC .5 slim this afternoon. I would like to add for those of you who are considering a Timeless but are unsure of witch plate to get, order without fear. Timeless will absolutely work with you to figure out the best option.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Glad it worked out for you! They do have great CS.

🤔 I've got two Timeless Ti68s, the scalloped and the OC... But no slim.

And those two stay in rotation...

AA

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have the Timeless Ti Slim SB and .68 SB, Timeless Stainless .95 OC and .68 SB, Timeless Bronze .38 SB and .78 OC.

Do not have the Carbon.

Of my Timeless razors, my preferred razor is the Ti Slim. Nimble, efficient and very effective.

YMMV

@multiball2222 Good luck on finding what works for you...

I have no experience with the Carbon razors other than reading several posts on another forum that I watched closely and my overall take is that the Carbon is a hit or miss razor for most that have tried it. The additional base plates they came out with, I felt, wasn't greeted with very much positivity either. Sorry I can't help out anymore on that front...

My grail razor however is a matte Ti95DC OC/SB and is the only razor in my cabinet to date and everything else had to go as they just were very rarely used... I have been tempted by a few offerings in the past 3yrs but not enough to pull the trigger but I personally would add the .5 plate if Matt offered it in a DC version so that is what I'm waiting for!! According to him it never will and I'm ok with that but I'm just not into changing heads during a shave and have grown used to using the OC for pass #1 and SB for Pass #2 and I know everytime I use my Ti95DC I will get the best shave for me hands down compared to anything I've ever used!!

Ti95DC.jpg

Thanks for all the replies. I'll report back how the OC slim works out. Nice pic muzichead. I was just admiring the matte finish on my Rockwell 6S. I'm sure the finish on the Timeless is much better. I get what you're saying about changing heads which is why the Rockwell doesn't get used quite as much. It makes a nice travel razor though. I considered a OC/SB plate. I'm curious. My assumption is that one side of the blade would dull quicker than the other. Do you keep track of which side is where and rotate it to keep both sides evenly sharp? I'm probably way overthinking it but unfortunately, that's the kind of rabbit hole my OCD drags me down. Lol.

By the way, I can see why the Carbon is hit or miss with various shavers. It's definitely different. Very blade forward but it shaves really well. I think what I like about it is the feedback and acoustics. Weird but what I found is that it makes for a nice experience. We'll see how that goes after I get a few more shaves with it.

They are both excellent razors. It comes down to personal preference. I have both the Carbon .68 and the Timeless Slim .50. With my face I prefer the Timeless. But I still like them both. I won’t be getting rid of either of them.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll report back how the OC slim works out. Nice pic muzichead. I was just admiring the matte finish on my Rockwell 6S. I'm sure the finish on the Timeless is much better. I get what you're saying about changing heads which is why the Rockwell doesn't get used quite as much. It makes a nice travel razor though. I considered a OC/SB plate. I'm curious. My assumption is that one side of the blade would dull quicker than the other. Do you keep track of which side is where and rotate it to keep both sides evenly sharp? I'm probably way overthinking it but unfortunately, that's the kind of rabbit hole my OCD drags me down. Lol.
I do keep track of the blade. I usually only have 4 shaves on a blade and start out with the OC on the logo and when I flip the blade for the 2nd shave I make sure rotate it on the same edge as the 1st shave and then flip it and rotate it for shaves #3 & 4. I always disassemble my razor and wipe it and the blade down after every shave so it becomes 2nd nature to keep track of the cutting edges.

I received my Timeless Slim 0.5 OC. To me it's much more aggressive than the SB. Don't get me wrong. It's still very smooth. I didn't get any weepers or irritation from it which surprised me because during the shave I thought for sure I was going to end up with irritation in multiple places, especially my neck. When all was said and done, I ended up with perfect BBS. That being said, I don't think I could use this one as a daily driver because my face did feel a tad bit tender after the shave. SB just felt so smooth. I'll likely need to sell to OC.

I have a titanium Slim OC and I think it's a great daily shaver. Smoother than the Blackbird for me and I get similar results.

I have a titanium Slim OC and I think it's a great daily shaver. Smoother than the Blackbird for me and I get similar results.

My favorite razor of all time is my .95 Timeless Ti. Very tempted to try the slim plate, because I am sure it is awesome. I only stick with Timeless these days, so I can't complain about RAD. I only have Timeless RAD. It is manageable lol

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I received my Timeless Slim 0.5 OC. To me it's much more aggressive than the SB. Don't get me wrong. It's still very smooth. I didn't get any weepers or irritation from it which surprised me because during the shave I thought for sure I was going to end up with irritation in multiple places, especially my neck. When all was said and done, I ended up with perfect BBS. That being said, I don't think I could use this one as a daily driver because my face did feel a tad bit tender after the shave. SB just felt so smooth. I'll likely need to sell to OC.

Thanks. Not many postings compare the Slim OC and the Slim SB.

I've been using the Ti 95 OC and have found it "mild" feeling but pretty darn efficient. But, you know how it goes. I'm still looking for more efficiency (and smoothness, comfort, and "mildness").

I've tried the Slim OC (only eight shaves using a borrowed razor) in SS. Liked it okay, but didn't love it. I might love the SB Slim. Hard to know, isn't it?

I have the Bronze, too, in both baseplates, but have not fully explored it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

My favorite razor of all time is my .95 Timeless Ti. Very tempted to try the slim plate, because I am sure it is awesome. I only stick with Timeless these days, so I can't complain about RAD. I only have Timeless RAD. It is manageable lol

Is the Slim .5 baseplate compatible with the .68/.95 cap on existing razors?

Top Bottom