What's new

My journey

Traveling with family, brought the Tabac stick to practice face lathering. One problem; wife likes the stubble look and won’t let me shave. We’re gonna have a problem here...

Wife and I came to an understanding: alternate day shaving. This is a win-win: happy wife, happy shaver!

I face lathered with the Tabac stick soap, added tons of water, produced great lather, but the tiny Simpson travel brush made me work at it. Two passes, WTG and ATG. For the neck area, I stretched the skin and applied zero pressure. Rinsed off with ice-cold water. Zero feedback from the Supply “Healing” post shave spray. Face felt great. No balm.

The Vector and Schick Proline continue to impress. I wonder how many shaves I’ll get out of this blade? 5, 10, more?
proxy.php

The wife ‘allowed’ me to shave today in return for not shaving tomorrow. It turned out to be an awful experience. You’d think by now, especially after yesterday, I’d know how to whip up Tabac lather? No.

Whoever said Tabac is ‘thirsty’ lacked the vocabulary to describe what is more accurately a parched soap. Even though I soaked the brush and gave it only a gentle shake before rubbing on the face, intermittently dipping its tip in water to build what I thought was good lather, what I got instead was a cramp in my hand (from holding the brush too firmly) and thick paste that wouldn’t rinse off the razor.

One possible lesson is that this damn tiny brush doesn’t hold water (see yesterday’s post); I had to remedy the situation by opening the tap straight onto it, rather than adding ‘a few drops at a time’ as is commonly suggested. But blaming equipment is a cop-out; the more obvious lesson is that mastering face lathering (and recognizing when the lather is ready) is going to require more than just watching a few YouTube videos.

The experience left my face super irritated. I’m sure the poor lather is mostly to blame, but this was also my fifth shave with the Schick Proline blade. I know mileage varies, but I wonder whether it’s time to replace it?

The ‘Healing’ Post Shave spray stung a lot. The Nivea balm helped. I put on extra.
proxy.php

Last edited:
What a difference a brush makes! This Atomic brush, unlike it’s smaller Simpson friend, can hold a ton of water. Tabac didn’t stand a chance! The soaked brush produced copious lather, far more than enough for 3 passes, with little to no need for additional hydration. With a new Proline blade on the Vector, the shave was near BBS, with only a tiny bit of aftershave stinging just to the left of my Adam’s apple. Overall great experience!

Now that I feel that I’ve conquered Tabac, it’s time to move on to more luxurious scents. I think I may go back to the AOS Sandalwood cream tomorrow. Or maybe the PdP #63?
proxy.php

Today, I ventured out of my comfort luxury zone and tried the Cella shave cream that was gifted to me as part of a B&B PIF. It comes in an environmentally unfortunate plastic tube. It is almost odorless, with maybe the slightest hint of citrus (which I don’t care for). The smallest amount produced copious lather, but wasn’t as slick as Tabac. The shave with Proline #2 was comfortable, though not outstanding: BBS in the face with CCS in the neck area. No nicks, weepers, or irritation.

This cream is off my list, to be added to my own PIF pile. I need to enjoy the smell of rich lather; life’s too short to settle for ordinary.
proxy.php

This morning’s shave started out with the wife debating how many different types of soaps I’m allowed to have, and whether she should spend to have an equivalent number of lotions and potions. I told her she should. That did not go well. She’s not very supportive of my newfound hobby, apparently.

The conversation was so distracting that I forgot to pre-shave the chin area with my electric, which allows for a smoother (and bearable) first blade pass. So what did I do instead? After a hot shower, I applied the Proraso Blue pre-shave cream to soften the beard, which has a cooling effect. I HATE THE SENSATION OF MENTHOL.

I also tried out Osma shaving soap today. Apparently, it has a very good thing going for it, namely alum. However, it’s not moisturizing. Like Tabac, it’s also quite thirty (unbeknownst to me), which led to inadequate lather prep and clogging of the razor... All in all, a fairly miserable WTG pass.

To save the rest of my morning, I whipped up Proraso Red and finished the shave with a Mach 3. The Supply Healing aftershave with witch hazel and aloe stung like heck. The AOS Sandalwood AFB helped.

Osma is off my list. I’ve got three unused pucks, to be added to my PIF pile.
proxy.php

Le Père Lucien, natural, loaded on the Atomic Rocket for 20-30 seconds, produced a wonderful lather, and while I’d prefer a scented soap, it is still a keeper. I also used the iKon slant with the BIC Chrome Platinum blade (#2) for the WTG pass, removing stubble with ease and zero tugging. Of course, it’s not as maneuverable as the Vector, so I used it for the XTG and ATG pass, for a final DFS, near BBS shave. No nicks or weepers. Minimal sting from the AS. Overall excellent shave!
proxy.php

The highlight of Friday’s shave was a first experience with MdC Nature. Wonderful soap and lather, on par with LpL. And while I did achieve another BBS result with the Vector and a 5th use of the Schick Proline blade, it did come at the cost of irritation in the neck area. Whether it’s the daily BBS shaves or possibly a dull blade, the skin toll was enough for me to look forward to a shave-free day.

Today, instead of another 3-pass BBS, I debulked with my electric shaver and used the iKon slant with a BIC Chrome Platinum blade (#4) for a 1-pass, XTG CCS. Zero sting with the AS. Nivea post shave balm moisturizer. The skin is thankful.

This was also my second use of the Zingari Man soap, loaded onto the Mühle brush for a nice and soothing face lather. The orange blossom scent is growing on me.
proxy.php

Great shave this morning, using a new Proline blade and PdP #63 soap. A 2-pass only, very light touch shave, WTG & ATG face and XTG x 2 neck for a DFS+ result. Minor AS feedback in the usual neck area trouble spot, to the left of my Adam’s apple. Tomorrow, I may just do WTG.

Yesterday, my youngest son played an outstanding game minding the net to help his team win the 10U AA state championship. He was named MVP. Not shave related, but a proud dad moment worth mentioning.
proxy.php

Tuesday’s shave was a rediscovery of the AOS Sandalwood cream. Just an almond-sized scoop was more than enough for 3 passes, with plenty left over for a 4th and 5th. Rich, slick lather with a wonderful scent. Great shave!
proxy.php

Wednesday: shave-free, rest day.

Today: the PdP #63 ASB arrived. The soap continues to perform, and scent is pure luxury. The balm is soothing, much like the Nivea. Another great shave, with one notable event: small nick, for the very first time with the Vector. The razor is so maneuverable, it’s easy to get careless.
proxy.php

Last edited:
A quick debulk with the electric, followed by a hot shower, and a two-pass shave, XTG and ATG, using Proraso Red and the lightest possible touch of the Vector... absolutely zero irritation or stinging, not even in my usual trouble spots. It was an excellent start to my morning. I think I’m beginning to crack the secret to shaving with safety razors: a sharp blade and zero pressure!

Another day using the AOS Sandalwood. It was my first non-Gillette Foamy purchase, and while I’ve since discovered other creams and soaps, I’m beginning to appreciate the quality of this product. Its moistening properties and slickness is fantastic, easy to lather, pleasant scent. Another fantastic shave today, with 5th use of the Proline blade. I think I’m going to use this cream daily until I finish the tub, except for Mondays which is supposedly MdC day. [emoji2371]

While the plan was to finish the AOS Sandalwood tub, for today’s shave I elected instead to bowl lather the Tabac stick. I think I went a little overboard with soap application, because by the end of 3 thick-layered WTG, XTG, and ATG rounds, I still had enough lather to last another 3. Zero irritation with the 6th use of the Proline blade, though I did manage a tiny nick trying for BBS below my nose. Great overall shave.
proxy.php

Today was MdC Monday with a twist, I used a Feather Proguard blade. The 3-pass shave was smooth, with absolutely zero sting from the AS. However, I did find the blade to be less efficient (sharp?) than the Proline. Even after the 3rd ATG pass, to achieve a DFS+ result I had to do some touch up work around the chin area. That would not have been necessary with a Proline.
proxy.php

Second day, third use of the Feather Proguard. Smooth shave, no nicks or weepers. Slightly more pressure applied than recent, which may lead to new muscle memory and future nicks and weepers once I return to the Schick, of which I have a stockpile. Not sure why I’m even bothering with the Feather... I have this and a new one that I obtained from Tryablade.com. I may just toss them.

Back to the Schick Proline, #1. The blade took care of my whiskers in 2 passes what the Proguard would have needed in 3. Quick, efficient, DFS shave, without nicks or weepers, but with a bit more sting of the AS. I’ll take more time and apply less pressure tomorrow.

I also lathered up with the MdC Nature. What an amazing product... slick, smooth cushion. I may use it for every other shave, rotating between the MdC and other fragrant soaps and creams.

Top Bottom